Je T'aime, Hospitalized W/ Immune System Crisis

Guest HighMaintenance

Guest HighMaintenance

Hi Greytalk. I am posting this more for support than for anything else. First, some history on my boy, Je t'aime (5 yo):

-History of seizures (he's been seizure free for over a year). He's not on medicine any longer (was on phenobarb, then potassium bromide)

-History of GI issues (frequent vet visits for the big D, vomitting)

-Constant paw licking past couple months (end of August this year)

-Losing hair

I contacted a vet nutritionist at Cornell regarding the above issues, thinking he has food allergies. Well, it looks like there's more to it then that. It all started as an acute case this morning at 4 am:

Je t'aime woke up, I took him outside to poop, he had a loose stool (nothing that out of the ordinary). He came up stairs and laid down on the kitchen floor (he never does this). Wouldn't get up. All of a sudden, he started drooling, panting, shivering. He tried to throw up several times. After about 20 minutes of it, I took him to the E-vet. They did x-rays and saw his stomach being pushed into a strange position. They didn't know if it was a tumor, the intestine twisting on itself, or just the position he was laying in for the x-ray. They gave him a seditive. Then, they noticed that he was brusing rapidly. A full blood work panel showed his platelts were very low (137,000). They suggested hospitalizing him and checking his blood levels in a few hours and starting steriods. I called a couple hours later, his levels had dropped to 85,000. They suggested a platelet transfusion. Then, immediatly after the transfusion, the levels had dropped to 55,000. They were going to test again at 9 pm in hopes that it just takes his body some time to have the platelts move through his system. I don't know what to think or what to do. Prayers please....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HighMaintenance

Thank you very much. Je t'aime needs all the prayers he can get. We just called - he's sleeping and not in any pain. I want to go there, but the staff is afraid that seeing me arrive and/or leave may be stressful and he needs to stay relaxed right now. It's so hard sitting here, waiting. Waiting for each hour to pass for the next time I can call for his blood level checks. I can't lose him. I just can't.

He and I took an 11 day vacation together this past August. We went up to Lake Ontario, up to Vermont, down into the Adirondacks. Camping, staying at a doggie bed and breakfast (Paw House Inn), exploring. I've never seen him happier. Just him and I. I'm so glad I did that and pray that there will be many more excursions together. He's my best friend.

Guest Winterwish

Je t'aime is in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry your boy is having difficulty and is sick. It's so hard worrying and you're in my thoughts. :grouphug:hope

Guest HighMaintenance
Je t'aime is in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry your boy is having difficulty and is sick. It's so hard worrying and you're in my thoughts. :grouphug:hope

Thank you, Winterwish. In past posts about Je t'aime, you've been so sweet and helpful. I appreciate your prayers.

If it helps at all, platelets are normally very low in the greyhound (although that third value they got is well below norms):

http://www.recycledracers.org/FAQ/greyhoun....html#platelets

* Greyhound: 80,000 - 200,000

* Other dog: 150,000 - 400,000

But that they were falling- I don't know enough physiology. Does that imply he's clotting somewhere?

Best wishes for your pup.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest HighMaintenance
If it helps at all, platelets are normally very low in the greyhound (although that third value they got is well below norms):

http://www.recycledracers.org/FAQ/greyhoun....html#platelets

* Greyhound: 80,000 - 200,000

* Other dog: 150,000 - 400,000

But that they were falling- I don't know enough physiology. Does that imply he's clotting somewhere?

Best wishes for your pup.

Thank you - yes, the E-vet did say greyhounds are normally low with platelet. I'll check these websites, thanks. As for the clotting question - not sure. I will ask when I call in 2 hours.

Has he been tested for TBDs?

Hi - he has been tested in the past - when he had his seizures. I will ask them at the E-vet if they can run that test while he's there now. Thanks so much!

You're in our thoughts and prayers at this house.

:grouphug

Mary, with Spencer and Shane :paw (who are jealous about that August trip, but still wish him well!)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Putting Je T'aime in my prayers. I know how hard it can be to stay home rather than go to see him. I had the same thing happen a few months ago. :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Ahicks51 already posted the info by Suzanne Stack, that's good info to keep. All I can offer is plenty of prayers for your best friend, because that is something I truly understand. Take a deep breath, he's in good hands. Please update us when you can and know you've got support here!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

quote]

Hi - he has been tested in the past - when he had his seizures. I will ask them at the E-vet if they can run that test while he's there now. Thanks so much!

Sometimes Babesia Canis is skipped when doing general testing for TBDs, because it is so rare in other breeds. Check to make sure that one has been done.

Guest jerrybird

Saying Prayers for your sweet Je t'aime and gentle hugs for you. I'm sorry that you are going through this and wish I could help in some small way.

Know that my heart and prayers are with you and your "bestest" friend. The waiting is always so brutal. Please update us as you can. Sending warm white light for Je T'aime. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest HighMaintenance

Thank you all. I will ask about Babeisa Canis too. I just talked to a board member w/ my greyhound rescue group. They are suggesting a spleenectomy b/c she thinks it's tick-related...

Sending prayers for your pupper and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytexplorer

Oh hai! I like you too! :D

seriously, though, sending good thoughts and big bear hugs to you and your bestbud. Keep us posted, ok?

~Pat

Oh, how agonizing it is to be away from your best friend when he needs you! Please let us know how he is when you have some news. In the meantime, you have tons of prayers and support going to you from our little family. :hope:hope:hope:grouphug:grouphug

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead