Found A Way To Get Riley's Meloxicam For Almost Free!

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

My husband takes Meloxicam, and his insurance covers it. He only has a copay of $4. My husband is taking half the dose prescribed. Riley was prescribed Meloxicam last week. I was a little stunned at $42 for only 1 week supply. I called my vet and asked her about giving Riley my husband's Meloxiam. She said I can do that and she told me what dose to give and what size to cut the pill. (I have a pill cutter) So now Riley can get his arthritis meds for almost free! :D Riley is 56 lbs, and will only be taking 1/4th my hsband's dose. So my husband will still have leftover. Anyways, just wanted to pass along the sneaky idea of how to get human insurance to cover our pet's meds. :devilangel

at our Walmart, Meloxicam is a 4.00 script and you can fill it for your dog. Indy gets his prozac and flagyl this way. I actually can get 90 days (90 pills) for 10.00! The script is written out to "Indy" and is filled that way. It has saved us a ton of money, too, since doggie prozac (reconcile) cost me a ton getting it filled by the vet.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Ditto for meloxicam for Cullen when he was still here and for me now as well as for fluoxetine for Rita.

Walmart is a Godsend for us. If one of my scrips isn't generic and my scrip allotment for the year is used up, I pay them out of pocket, but they then send a claim to my major medical. I was shocked once when I got a check from Anthem for over $300 for my Entocort EC! They didn't have to do that; they already had my money, but I got it back because of their going the extra mile and submitting it for me. CVS never did that for me. They just took my money and said see ya. :angry:

One of the $4 scrips even got me a refund of $3.83. I'm still scratching my head over that one. :rolleyes:

Marcia

I get very few of my Rx for the hounds at the vet. Theres no reason for the vet not to write you the prescription so you can take it to Walmart, walgreens etc. I actually have found that Target is even cheaper sometimes.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest tigerlily

this sounds great but why does your insurance pay for the dogs prescription walmart charges the 4 dollars copay, but rest is billed to insurance. sounds great but how does it work..i am the only one covered on my insurance..

I'm not sure if you're talking to me, but my insurance doesn't cover my dogs' meds. However, I knew someone a few years ago whose prescription plan *did* cover her pets' scrips.

Then there's Publix, which gives antibiotics for free, including cipro. It pays to shop around!

Incidentally, AAA has a drug coverage plan that can cover meds for people and pets. It has some weird rules that made me glad I found Walmart.

Marcia

You probably won't want to give your dog your husband's medication if insurance is helping with it. Odds are they won't find out but if they did... it could be considered insurance fraud.

The big plus is that you don't need your husband's insurance to get Meloxicam for $4. It is on Wal-marts and I'm sure many others $4 prescription plans. All you have to do is ask your vet to call in a prescription or write one for you. Then you have no worries and everything is legit and you are still only paying $4 for a much longer than 1 month supply.

The primary downside of human Meloxicam vs. the veterinary liquid is dosing. Meloxicam has a very narrow dosing range so you don't have much flexibility in dosing. It is always safer to underdose a drug vs. overdose it so a high percentage of dogs will get 60-80% of the dose that they could receive if they were on the veterinary product. Doesn't mean it isn't worth using the human product... just explaining the difference.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg