My Greyhound Sneezes Alot (help Greatly Appreciated)

Guest nicolapez

Guest nicolapez

my greyhound sneezes a lot especially when she gets up from lying down and stretches or when i first take her out side :dunno:gh_run2 PLEASE help

she jumps up on the bed and leaves little white hair all over my beds not to mention her comforter :lol

we also brush her a lot and she doesnt seem to mind

Edited by nicolapez

Guest Greensleeves

1. Get a good brush, and brush her daily.

2. Get a good vacuum.

3. Get a lint roller.

4. Get used to it. :lol

As for the sneezing, it could easily be behavioral. Dogs sneeze as a "calming signal," to tell pack members that everything's OK, to apologize, to say, "I'm just playing!" etc. Watch some rowdy dogs really going at it in play, and along with the playbowing, you'll hear *lots* of sneezing. Since your girl is doing it when she first gets up, or when she's first on a walk, and lots of dogs are a bit bouncy and silly when they get up, I'm guessing that's the reason--she's happy and excited, and she wants you to know it.

Guest FrostyBottoms

My Vinny starts sneezing in October and stops after the first freeze. He has allergies....I give him 2-25mg benadryl 3 times a day....it helps but it doesn't stop his allergies completely. Make sure you give her ONLY allergy...NOT sinus.

As for the shedding....how long has your hound been in your home? They usually blow their track coat after they first move in. It is stressful to come into a new situation. After a couple of months, it should slow down.

If you have had her for longer than that, it could be her food.....or even the reason she is sneezing....allergies?

Guest nicolapez
My Vinny starts sneezing in October and stops after the first freeze. He has allergies....I give him 2-25mg benadryl 3 times a day....it helps but it doesn't stop his allergies completely. Make sure you give her ONLY allergy...NOT sinus.

As for the shedding....how long has your hound been in your home? They usually blow their track coat after they first move in. It is stressful to come into a new situation. After a couple of months, it should slow down.

If you have had her for longer than that, it could be her food.....or even the reason she is sneezing....allergies?

we have had ella for quite some time now 5 1/2 months and she seems happy and healthy i read something online that it could have something to do with the thyroid could this be true :huh and if it is should i be concerned?

anything helps

Edited by nicolapez

Guest FrostyBottoms

A Thyroid condition could cause loss of hair. But I don't think the sneezing would have anything to do with it. What part of the country are you in? Did it freeze yet?

I would check out the other thyroid symptoms and see if she has any other symptoms....it's easy to get a thyroid panel done, then you'll know for sure.

• 1 month later...
Guest nicolapez

it did freeze but she did it even before that

could she just be cold?

she dont like to walk in the snow i guess it freezes her paw.

but that can be normal for any dog

Lots of morning sneezing here, too. It's a rare morning I don't wake up to the joy of having one of the hounds sneeze on my leg as I first get out of bed.

If there seems to be a lot of sneezing, there's a parasite called Capillaria, but that would be unusual.

Hair loss is also not unusual in greys; although vets frequently pin it on hypothyroidism- as it is in some other breeds- some greyhounds just... have idiopathic alopecia. Plus, although 5-1/2 months would be unusual, it's common for hounds fresh off the track to blow their "track coat." If the hair is coarse and being replaced with softer stuff, that would be the track coat. The "Zoom Groom" is an inexpensive and useful way to get out some of the hair that's being shed. Supplement with fish oil capsules to help the new fur grow in.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest greytkidsmom

Frequent brushing and fish oil capsules should help. When you brush, do it in the garage or outside to keep the hair out. Some shedding is to be expected - all mammals shed. Think about all of the human hairs you find around the house :)

Welcome to GT, by the way.

Guest nicolapez

shes getting better on the whole coat thing

oh and about the sneezing

she will get "sneeze" attacks

like she loses her breath :(

i think its normal

i rub her neck for a little and it makes her feel better

anyone have this experience?

1) Sneezing is NOT a symptom of allergies in dogs--so don't start looking into that just yet.

2) All dogs shed, or leave hair about in some manner (I added that since breeders of Poodles claim they don't, but my Grandmother's standard poodle certainly left hair around the house). Don't be insulted, but have you ever had a dog before? We need to know if it's NORMAL shedding and you're just surprised 'cause you didn't know a dog would leave hair everywhere, or if there is something unusual about it!

Many greyhounds benefit from the addition of Omega 3 fatty acid supplements in their diet. This comes in liquid and capsule form, and most dogs love it and will happily eat either form. You can buy it at any decent pet store, or on line. One highly recommended brand is Grizzly Salmon Oil.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nicolapez

i know all of them shed but she would get "shedding attacks"

only in bursts

and she has a much longer coat now that i got vitagrow dream coat

but i was just wondering if some do shed in "bursts"

1. Get a good brush, and brush her daily.

2. Get a good vacuum.

3. Get a lint roller.

4. Get used to it. :lol

Great advice, especially number 4! If you haven't had her long, she may just be adjusting. Otherwise, try adding some fish oil to her food (can't hurt even if you just got her.) I really like the rubber mitts with little bumbs for regular brushing. I also recommend buying your furniture in colors to match your dog's fur :)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest greyt2love

Fish oil capsules have helped a lot here this winter. Not as much shedding and dry skin, and Chloe's fur is so soft. It's like bunny fur! And her nekkid spots on her butt are filling in, too !

I know nothing about the sneezing. One of my Yorkies sneezes, but none of my greys do.

Good luck !

PS - I second the suggestion "Buy a couch that matches your grey's fur" !!

Guest luckydog

"Sneezing attacks where she loses her breath" may be the infamous reverse sneeze. Nothing to worry about with them.

If you are truly worried, have your vet look inside her nose nest time you go for a visit. Could be a foreign object up in there. I had a dog that would occasionally get foxtails up her nose--nasty things!

I have 3 black girls, two of whom are sisters. Anna has a shiny, coarse coat, large flaky dandruff but doesn't shed much at all. Fuzz has a soft coat, sheds like there's no tomorrow and has an unbelievable amount of fine white dandruff. Her sister Suze has a coat that tends to be a little more coarse and is in the middle of the two - she sheds a little but has much less dandruff. They are all on vitamins and Grizzly Salmon Oil. Their coats are much better than they were before the Grizzly, but I think the "winter" here in FL has something to do with it. Their coats are much better in the summer!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead