Osteo Sarcoma

Guest kelli123

Guest kelli123

That was going to be one of my questions , If it was hereditary. The cases we have discussed here sounds as if its not. Bless you Paula ,and sorry for your loss of Ace. I wish we could put a end to all of the cancer. In humans and our beloved pets. Kelli

Snickers had just turned 5 a few months before she was diagnosed. I remember thinking that she was too young and that there was no way it could be osteosarcoma. It ws devastating to lose her just a few years after adopting her at 3 1/2. I'm glad your pup is okay.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

It can happen in younger dogs, but bone infection should be ruled out, whether by taking samples or by starting the dog on antibiotics and seeing what happens. Some bone infections can look an awful lot like cancer. I wish I had Louis' x-rays from when he came to me (<2 years old). All but one of the typical features of osteosarcoma were present on that picture. It wasn't cancer, it was a nasty, nasty bone infection.

Lynn

That's intersting about the male vs female and weight. I had noticed how many girls at once got it. Polli, Ember, Brooke (Run Free Princess), Jamiaca, Maggie Mae, Cookie- ALL girls diagnosed within a month or so of one another.

Jamaica was diagnosed with spindle cell sarcoma, not osteo. Of the two types, hers was the more aggressive, but I don't think nearly as frightening as an osteo diagnosis. Although it was a blow and terrifying to see the tumor visibly creeping up her leg, I had time to find options and decide what to do, a luxury I suspect those with an osteo Rx don't get. My heart goets out to those who get an osteo Rx.

Just got back from the doc office. Thanks for the. prayers, they worked NO cancer hurray.Gracie has a slightly torn (stained) cruciate. There are options. (1) no exersize on her own only on a leash.for up to 9months (2) there is a brace called the anti-translational cruciate brace (3)surgery. Doc thinks sence she is still able to put weight on it we should do #1 or#2. Any one have a opinion on what i should do? I hate to do sugery now. If the brace might help. Any one heard of the brace ? Its around $350.0

I'm glad to hear the good news about it not being cancer. I don't have experience with ligament issues, but I do know a woman in my area who makes custom therapy/rehab products for animals. The products aren't cheap, but everything I've purchased from her has been high quality. Her name is Schon Gross, the website is: http://www.dogleggs.com/index.cfm

Best of luck with your Gracie!

Beverly

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

My Maddison was 3 years old when diagnosed and 6 weeks past his 4th birthday when he died.

I'm very glad to hear that your Gracie is cancer free :confetti

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Just got back from the doc office. Thanks for the. prayers, they worked NO cancer hurray.Gracie has a slightly torn (stained) cruciate. There are options. (1) no exersize on her own only on a leash.for up to 9months (2) there is a brace called the anti-translational cruciate brace (3)surgery. Doc thinks sence she is still able to put weight on it we should do #1 or#2. Any one have a opinion on what i should do? I hate to do sugery now. If the brace might help. Any one heard of the brace ? Its around $350.0

My lab/rottie mix, Lucky, had a fully blown ACL. The surgery cost $8-900 (I forget) four years ago. She had to be leash walked for eight months. Shortly after, a neighbor's grand dog, a young yellow lab, had a partial tear. It was repaired and he only had an eight-WEEK rehab, instead of months. I understand that it is much better and easier to fix it when it is a partial tear, than waiting for it to go completely. One of the dangers of the rehab process is that the other knee will go, then the dog will have two bum legs and require a cart for ambulation.

I was frustrated w my vet for letting it go completely, as Lucky had been limping for several months before the knee went completely and had been checked a couple of times. I asked the vet and asked around and found that the imaging technique used to detect a partial tear had really just been developed, and prior to that, they had to wait for the total tear and discover it manually through sedating the dog and manipulating the leg. It was probably just a few months between the two dogs being treated, but I guess that that was enough for the new info to become available.

In Gracie's case, is the ACL supposed to heal on it's own? (If there is a tear rather than just strain, how will it heal?) From what I saw of Lucky and the neighbor's dog, I would do the surgery sooner rather than later if surgery is inevitable. If, on the other hand, it will heal without surgery, then that is certainly easier for you and Gracie and less expensive too.

Good luck with the healing process. Please keep us updated so we know how Gracie is doing.

DD

PS Sorry for the late reply on this thread, I've been out of town.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04