Lego Has A Small Bald Spot Where He's Been Chewing

Guest the36thchamber

Guest the36thchamber

Lego has a really nice coat and I've used advantage on him from day one but I would say about a week ago or so, I noticed him chewing on a certain spot. When I saw him doing that, I sat there and examined him for fleas or ticks and found nothing. Every now and then, I'll see him go back that spot. I noticed this morning that there's a tiny bald spot in that area and it look a little irritated. What it the proper course of action here?

Guest SoulsMom

A hot spot. Ask the Spencer family about this, they went through it with Sharky until they finally found a diet that works for him. But, it could be a number of things causing it, it's all trial and error to figure it out. With Sharky it was a reaction to grains in his diet.

Guest EmilyAnne

Did he get a bath recently? One of my dogs got a hot spot cause I didn't rinse the shampoo out thoroughly.

Perhaps a bath with medicated shampoo would help?

How old is Lego?

Guest the36thchamber
Did he get a bath recently? One of my dogs got a hot spot cause I didn't rinse the shampoo out thoroughly.

How old is Lego?

Lego just turned three and he had a bath around three weeks ago, hmmm, should I go over that area and try and wash it again?

Guest EmilyAnne

How old is Lego?

Lego just turned three and he had a bath around three weeks ago, hmmm, should I go over that area and try and wash it again?

I'd try a medicated shampoo and be very thorough in rinsing.

One more question~ Has he been oilier than usual?

Guest the36thchamber

How old is Lego?

I'd try a medicated shampoo and be very thorough in rinsing.

One more question~ Has he been oilier than usual?

Nothing else seems out of the ordinary

You might want to try a little Neosporin on it, if you can get him to leave it on and not lick it off right away. We've had success with that when our dogs have had unexplicable itches.

To keep him from chewing the hot spot, you can spray Bitter Apple on it.

A number of things can cause hot spots... food allergies, bug bites, shampoos (always make sure you rinse super well, and use a gentle shampoo) and cleaning products (i.e. carpet shampoo, floor wash, Febreze, scented laundry detergents).

If he continues to have problems, your vet can probably help you narrow it down.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest the36thchamber
To keep him from chewing the hot spot, you can spray Bitter Apple on it.

A number of things can cause hot spots... food allergies, bug bites, shampoos (always make sure you rinse super well, and use a gentle shampoo) and cleaning products (i.e. carpet shampoo, floor wash, Febreze, scented laundry detergents).

If he continues to have problems, your vet can probably help you narrow it down.

I think they sell bitter apple at the petco by my house, if so, I'll pick some up tomorrow

You might want to try a little Neosporin on it, if you can get him to leave it on and not lick it off right away. We've had success with that when our dogs have had unexplicable itches.

My wife put some neosporin on his hot spot, not sure if it's deterring him from it but I figure it can't hurt

How's that spot? Is he still at it?

My wife cleaned his hot spot off and put sme Neosporin on it.... it seems like I didn't see him touch it for awhile but saw him go back to it later in the evening. I stopped him every time he did it but I'm sure he went at it all night... I'm at work right now, I work nights, I'll have to check on it when I get home. The odd thing though is that I could swear that spot was bald when I looked at it but after my wife did whatever she did, it had hair on it again :eek

Guest EmilyAnne

The neosporin is not to deter licking, it's to aid in healing, which apparently it is doing! :yay

What Beth was saying is you should try to keep your grey from licking it off. Medicine works best when not licked off right away. :lol

Edited by EmilyAnne

I personally would not worry about this AT ALL unless it gets worse. Dogs get itchy spots just like we do. He used his teeth to scratch it. If it gets any WORSE, sure, you'll want your vet to take a peak. But I find that a Greyhound's coat is so thin to begin with, it doesn't take much to form a bald spot. One spot on an otherwise perfectly healthy dog is not cause for alarm, especially if you've been diligent with his flea preventative.

FYI, most dogs seem to think of Bitter Apple a condiment, not a deterrent. In my animal experience (which is long and varied), Bitter Apple does not work except as a nice flavor variety!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest the36thchamber
I personally would not worry about this AT ALL unless it gets worse. Dogs get itchy spots just like we do. He used his teeth to scratch it. If it gets any WORSE, sure, you'll want your vet to take a peak. But I find that a Greyhound's coat is so thin to begin with, it doesn't take much to form a bald spot. One spot on an otherwise perfectly healthy dog is not cause for alarm, especially if you've been diligent with his flea preventative.

FYI, most dogs seem to think of Bitter Apple a condiment, not a deterrent. In my animal experience (which is long and varied), Bitter Apple does not work except as a nice flavor variety!

I gave him a bath with some medicated shampoo, rinsed him off really really well and then sprayed some hot spot spray stuff that I found at the pet store on it and he seems perfectly fine... he hasn't touched it again. I'm gonna keep a close watch on him and see how he does but yeah, it looks to me like everything is going to be fine. I'm thinking that he had to have some kind of reaction to the shampoo that was used at the dog wash a few weeks back because other than that, nothing else has changed as far as food or anything else.