Need Indoor Paw Traction

Guest iconsmum

Guest iconsmum

Has anyone found a good way to help their hound stay upright on bare floors? I have mostly broadloom, but my senior boy is weak in the legs and so if he turns suddenly, or gets excited, he loses his legs under him and winds up splayed out on the floor, screaming in fright and pain ...if he is to continue having the run of the house, we a need spray-on substance for his pads, or really light no-slip sox (I know about TheraPaws)... any extra advice or inventions, anyone?

Guest iconsmum
There's a paw wax out there that's used to protect the feet when outside- it also makes the feet a bit "tacky." Of course, that probably wears off quickly.

Are throw rugs an option?

He tip toes around throw rugs :)

Haven't found a good option for paws. Baby socks with nonskid work briefly but tend to get turned around on their feet.

We use the sort of heavy-ish rubber-backed mats that they can't easily scrunch up -- the kind used as doormats. Could cover the whole floor with them. Here, Home Depot has 3' x 5' for @ $15.00 each.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Before finding TheraPaws, I tried baby socks with PAWZ (doggie rubbers) over the sock. This wasn't for a traction issue, but I know that there was no slipping or sliding.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Before finding TheraPaws, I tried baby socks with PAWZ (doggie rubbers) over the sock. This wasn't for a traction issue, but I know that there was no slipping or sliding.

I tried these for broodie Susie but they didn't stay on, for some reason. I've used Show Foot spray with some success. What's finally worked best for Susie is buying rubber matting that comes in rolls. I trim the matting (the stuff I bought was 4' x about 30') to 2' width and it winds throughout my downstairs, where i have laminate floors Susie was refusing to walk on. The rubber or vinyl mats or runners you can get at Home Depot would probably work as well, especially the kind with a carpeted-like surface.

This is what my downstairs looks like. Attractive? NOT!!! But Susie now walks everywhere so I'll live with it.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest vahoundlover
We use the sort of heavy-ish rubber-backed mats that they can't easily scrunch up -- the kind used as doormats. Could cover the whole floor with them. Here, Home Depot has 3' x 5' for @ $15.00 each.

All of our slick floors are completely covered with mats like this.

We use rubber backed throws all through our house. But if he tiptoes around, hmm, would it be something he would get used to? If nothing else, it would stop him from tearing through the house ;)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

There's a paw wax out there that's used to protect the feet when outside- it also makes the feet a bit "tacky." Of course, that probably wears off quickly.

Are throw rugs an option?

He tip toes around throw rugs :)

Good grief! He's his own worst enemy! :lol My Jack used to walk OK on the laminate but since he's got a little more wobbly he won't walk anywhere there AREN'T throw rugs!

I'd fill the spaces with throw rugs. It's the cheapest and easiest option. Personally, I wouldn't want the paws covered 24/7, they need to breathe or they can get sweaty and yeasty and just sore. Remember it's the only place dogs do sweat. ;)

Another - more expensive - option is to try one of the companies that will make your floor non-slip for you by the application of a special solution. Once it's done it's not a problem for pets, or so I'm told. They use this method a lot in public areas like museums and banks with shiny floors, where they like the appearance, but not the possibility of their customers walking in with wet feet and going flying.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I use baby socks with the rubber grippies on the bottom. I slide them on and then wrap a small piece of medical tape around the top of the sock to hold it on right above her paw. It stays straight and doesn't fall off at all. Works like a charm....especially right now since Koda has a little sore on her paw.

Therapaws makes a soft topped slipper with rubber soles. Much more comfy than the regular boot if they will keep them on. I had mats like Susie's across the bare floor like runways. A pain but it worked. Too bad your boy has an aversion to them.

I guess one could make their own rubber-soled booties by taking plain booties or socks and putting stripes of adhesive on the bottom. Silicone caulking would work; I know "E-6000" hobby glue sticks well to fabric. The same company also makes "Shoe Goo" and that stuff would certainly work as well. :)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest greyaspet

I have the soft ones from Therapaw for my girl not so much for the slipping but for her because she gets cold. They have a wide piece of velcro to help them stay put and work great. Not bulky and are comfy at least Cimi says so.

Sheila