Nutrional Question Re: Health

RobinM

As most of you know I have not had an easy time feeding Polli since chemo and she wasn't an easy pup to feed prior but I fgiured out what worked.

Today she got a shot at the vet of the cerenia as oppossed to me giving it to her orally. I noticed she was perkier today and happier and ate a WHOLE BUNCH of cookies. So many.

However, dinner time was the same nonsence. I had an array of choices which she turned her nose up at everything.

Just 10 minutes ago, I tried just plain chicken breast again. I had tried chicken breast with kibble before. No good.

She just finished 2 FULL cups of shredded chicken breast. That was A LOT of chicken!

Nutrionally, is she getting enough? I know her calorie intake is OK which I am thrilled about. What about Nutrional. I'd like to give her pet tab vitamins but I hate to have to shove those down her throat, they are large and she won't take them.

Thoughts on the nutrional end?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

As we are having many of the same issues with our Bell, I am interested in the responses. Right now I kind of feel as long as she is eating, we can slowly re-introduce her regular food and supplements, but right now anything can turn her off so I am not worrying about it too much.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

well, I am not an expert, but I don't think she will have major nutritional problems on a chicken & cookie diet for a few weeks :lol

I do know, when people are switching to raw feeding, the recommendation is often to stick with one protein source, usually chicken for a few weeks before adding variety.

Ask your vet, but I'm betting he'll say, feed her whatever she'll eat for now :)

well, I am not an expert, but I don't think she will have major nutritional problems on a chicken & cookie diet for a few weeks :lol

I do know, when people are switching to raw feeding, the recommendation is often to stick with one protein source, usually chicken for a few weeks before adding variety.

Ask your vet, but I'm betting he'll say, feed her whatever she'll eat for now :)

That's exactly what she and everyone from GT is saying, I'm not overly concerned especially with the nice amount of protein she is getting. Now, if we can only get her evo kibble in her!!!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

When Shanti was on Imuran, she would not touch kibble. I gave up and quit feeding it to her. All I did was throw it out anyway. She spent 3 months like that. She had bloodwork done every couple weeks. She was fine. No worse off. Now that she is off that, she is eating kibble again. But her first choice is chicken and pasta!

The Girls

I think Miss Polli will be ok...We did give pet tabs to Angels Queenie and LaceyLaine. Just a thought...My heart dog Bridgette was my childhood soul mate...she always will be. She lived to be 16 and in her 16 years she never had one bite of dog food. Mom cooked for her and she ate what we ate also. Also...she never had a dental in her life and her teeth...coat...and weight were perfect. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Well, I couldn't post this last night but we did not have a good night last night.

Recap: Took Polli to the vet for lab work to see if there was anything going on. WBC was 300 which was OK for after chemo- liver was good too.

She ate a ton of cookies Saturday and 2 FULL cups of chicken Saturday night.

Sunday- she ate A LOT and I mean A LOT of cookies. Then we went to FreddyGirls house for a play date. She was happy, running in the yard and very vocal. We saw that twinkle in her eyes. It was wonderful BUT she was sooooooooooo tired when we got home even though we only stayed there 1.5 hours, she slept all night and would not eat. We tried from 8pm to 12AM. Nothing.

So, today is another day and we have tried but no interest. She otherwise seems greyt!

As far as a pet tab goes, she won't eat them and I don't want to shove them down her throat.

Guest EmilyAnne

Perhaps she would like thawed unsweetened strawberries? They are naturally sweet, and maybe that is what she craves? Perhaps get a powdered vitamin, and stir it in that?

Sometimes I could get Batman to take something pill-like if it was crushed up in a tablespoon of molasses. But sometimes not. I wouldn't worry too much about vitamins and quality food -- couple months of eating whatever she wants shouldn't hurt her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.