The Case Of The Disappearing Toe Nail

LBass

Piper and Winston came hurrying into the kitchen to get their CET chews and I turned around to find lots of bloody footprints on the kitchen floor. Piper's left rear leg's inner toe nail is completely gone!

He seems perfectly oblivious. I'm going to clean it up, apply some disinfectant, and try to put a sock on it. secured with some vet wrap.

What else should I be doing? Watching for? Should I rush to the e-vet or can this wait until Monday and my own vet?

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

No need for a trip to the e-vet as long as the bleeding has stopped. If the quick is exposed, be careful wrapping because that'll cause it to hurt even more. If you can keep it clean, I wouldn't wrap it. Misty did much better with no wrap. Feel better Piper. Edited because I need to learn how to type :lol

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Watch it for swelling and see if he keeps limping. Spinner did this about 6 weeks ago and actually chipped off some bone, too, where the nail comes out. He got tramadol and antibiotics in the end, and it took a long time to heal.

Edited by SusanP

Thanks. I poured hydrogen peroxide over it as a way of cleaning and disinfecting. The bleeding has stopped. I've got a minimal wrap on it--a small gauze pad and baby sock to hold that in place. He is not limping yet. I suppose that might start tomorrow. I'll keep a close eye on the foot.

Poor baby.

Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Thanks. I poured hydrogen peroxide over it as a way of cleaning and disinfecting. The bleeding has stopped. I've got a minimal wrap on it--a small gauze pad and baby sock to hold that in place. He is not limping yet. I suppose that might start tomorrow. I'll keep a close eye on the foot.

Poor baby.

Feel better big boy!! Your unruly friends need you. On a side note, don't continue using peroxide to clean it. Use a first aid rinse or something like it. Continued use of peroxide isin't good.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest SoulsMom

Poor Piper! :ohno

Ditto what Claudia said.

As you know, Soul has toenail issues b/c of his Lupus. When he ripped one clean off I just treated the stub with Bactine every time he came back in after a potty break. But he was also a good boy and didn't mess with it too much. Soul's healed much better without a wrap. No need for a vet visit. When he split a toenail then we DID have to go to the vet to take care of the rest of it. That was KNOT fun . . . . .

If you keep it clean it should heal ok on it's own . . . .

:kiss2 to Piper. Feel better sweetie

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest Houndtown

One of our hounds just did the same thing. She came in from running around and her rear outside nail was pointing almost straight up and bleeding. We stopped the bleeding and the next day she started limping around and it got worse as time went on. A couple days after it initially happened the toe was swollen to about twice the normal size and off to the vet she went.

The vet siad the nail broke just under the skin and was indeed infected. The vet gave her a little pain relief and removed the broken portion of nail and sent her home with a bandaged rear paw and some pain and antibiotics. About 3 days later the vet removed the bandage and aside from the exposed nail bed, it looks fine, the swelling is gone and she is her old self again (no limping or favoring her paw)

Watch for swelling. Compare her good paw with her injured paw for size.

Sorry to be so slow getting back to this thread. I'm applying neosporin and watching the foot. Piper is not even limping. There is no swelling. He licks that toe occassionally but not often. I'm just watching at this point. Amazingly enough, he appears fine.

I'm still not sure what happened. I know it happened when I was home and I suspect that it must have been in the yard because there have been no bloody messes located in the house. Nor in the yard, for that matter, but it is a big yard and I could easily have missed the evidence.

Thanks for the info and reassurance.

--Lucy

Edited by LBass