Fentanyl Patch

So, we need to take a fentanyl patch off of Maggie-Mae but it's pretty "stuck" to her skin.

Any recommendations as to what to do to help aid in removing it without causing her any pain...or is like the band aid theory, the quicker you yank it off the better :unsure

Didn't know if soaking it with warm water might loosen the adhesive or not?

Thanks for any help!

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Have you tried mineral oil Suzie? Sometimes that works when taking of sticky bandages and such.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It "should" be spent by now, but in case it isn't, I would not recommend using heat on it.

I used baby oil and a Q tip to remove Bones' patch. I just started at the end, rubbed some oil on his skin, peeled a little bit more and so on. No way would I just rip it off of her. I had it off in about 3 minutes. Good luck!

I used cooking oil. work it under the patch a teeny bit at a time with your fingernail or a cuticle stick etc. Do not rip it off like a bandaid OW! do like Nancy said and don't get in a hurry. Work it under, leave it, repeat.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions! Gonna have to go to the store to get some mineral oil or baby oil. We've got an entire medicine cabinet filled with "hound" medical stuff and not one bit of mineral oil or baby oil, wouldn't ya know it :blush

I used cooking oil. work it under the patch a teeny bit at a time with your fingernail or a cuticle stick etc. Do not rip it off like a bandaid OW! do like Nancy said and don't get in a hurry. Work it under, leave it, repeat.

Ah, cooking oil I have...maybe we will try that first!

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Guest longdogs

DON"T soak or use heat in case the patch still has active drugs. You don't want to release any residual drugs in a rush. I tried using various things to help peel it back. Skin cream (vitamin E), olive oil and 'gunk remover' helped. I lifted a corner and worked it in with a cotton bud, just doing a little at a time. Nugget's skin was very tender under the patch and ripping it off would have taken her skin with it.

Edited by longdogs

If you haven't gotten it off by now, you can just leave it for a few more days until the adhesive gives out. There shouldn't be much drug left in it, so it shouldn't hurt to leave it there.

Oil is probably your best bet. Don't use alcohol, it can release more drug and/or help it go through the skin.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

yep oil (even cooking oil) always works. I usually Use a qtip soaked and just keep working at the edges. keep qtip soaked (not dripping just wet)

yep oil (even cooking oil) always works. I usually Use a qtip soaked and just keep working at the edges. keep qtip soaked (not dripping just wet)

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08