Guess Who Is The Little Piglet?

Guest EmbersDad

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just seeing this...

We've had lots of experience nursing sick/hurt/recovering dogs through the refusing to eat thing. I just spent 4 days working out what our old Isaac might eat after a bad bout.

Here are some things I've had success with:

High calorie kibble (Nutro High Energy, the Blue Buffalo fish formula, etc.) ground up in a food processor to the consistency of course corn meal. Mix with hot water/broth to make a gruel... like oatmeal for dogs. Sometimes I have to scoop it up and offer in handfuls to get a very ill dog to eat.

Boneless chicken thighs chopped up and just cooked in a nonstick skillet... lots of good fat, much higher calories than breasts.

You can do a search for "Isaac stew"... I've posted that one a bunch of times.

Fat balls/Satin balls... just google it... you'll find lots of recipes.

Frozen BilJac (if available in your area). DH just brought 15 lbs home from Atlanta and it's working wonders with our old guy. He ate it as a puppy and still loves it.

Frozen fish fillets poached for just a bit in water, chicken broth, etc.

Pasta. I get the really thin spaghetti and break it up into little pieces, then cook in no-sodium stock. (I just sacrificied several containers of my chicken and shrimp stock to cook pasta and fish for Isaac).

In my experience, once they start eating, you can gradually work away from all the special stuff and back towards more "normal" food. For example... on Saturday, I was poaching fish and cooking pasta, trying to get Isaac to eat anything. Now, he is back to half Blue Buffalo fish kibble, mixed with some BilJac and a few bites of chicken thigh or some of the stew (I need to thaw more).

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest EmbersDad
How is she doing this morning?

this morning she greeted me when i woke up, and actually seemed to have a spring in her hop :lol . when the painter arrived, she sprung up and ran to the front door, barked and wagged her tail when he came in. i tried some progresso soup in her kibble, she ate a wee bit, but that was it. i have a chicken breast in the fridge for later, and am going to pick up some tripe to entice her with....and there always is the dollar menu at mickey d's :-)

You can also try to scramble up eggs with lots of cheese and cook some kibble in with it - sprinkle bacon bits over the top. With my Pup that was the only thing that kept him eating when he had Osteo.

My husband couldn't believe that I would cook breakfast for the dog each day (and not for him ... lol).

Sending you both hugs!

Cory

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Sending hugs to you and Ember. Finally watched your videos of Ember and I think she is doing great! She has great balance and isn't very hesitant to take a step. And now, since you finally realized that Ember deserves "special" people food, she can eat and get her strength back! Keep up the chicken and McD's - that $menu is a wonderful thing.

Connie

Tripe on way, overnighted for Ms. Ember. Tell her to listen out for the postman tomorrow!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmbersDad

we just got back from the surgeons. the stitches are out. she weighs 51 lbs :jaw dr mcleod said she go go do her thing, no more restrictions. she is resting in my bedroom. ate a tiny bit this morning, and showed no interest in the chicken i just offered her, nor the taco bell earlier...but then she doesnt like riding in the car...sigh...i am gonna try mickey d's again later. she may just be stressed from the ride and stitches removal.

Oh my, she weighs the same as Misty!! Tom, have you considered trying the Nutritional Yeast to boost her appetite? It may really help. Continued prayers

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest MorganKonaAlex
we just got back from the surgeons. the stitches are out. she weighs 51 lbs :jaw

What was she before the amputation? Our vet said a leg weighs 8-10 lbs.

Guest EmbersDad
we just got back from the surgeons. the stitches are out. she weighs 51 lbs :jaw

What was she before the amputation? Our vet said a leg weighs 8-10 lbs.

that would be consistent

weight at first sign of limp 66 lbs

weight at osteo diagnosis about 2 weeks later 61 lbs

weight today after amputation & stitch removal 51 lbs

her surgeon said her leg probably was 7 or 8 lbs so she probably lost 2 lbs from not eating so much this last week, ever since the fentanyl patch came off

FWIW, dr mcleod told me that tramadol is a synthetic opiate and should not be addictive cause i asked her about weaning ember. she said she didnt even think it was a controlled substance.

OMG- I never thought of what my Polli girl might weigh. She was 60 before!

I guess it doesn't matter what she weighs in as much as long as she is eating and looks good, that's all that matters!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

You can get tramadol (ultram) at Walmart. One of your $4 prescriptions. It is not a controlled substance and my vet said you can take it forever. Not like deramax, or the other pain pills.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I didn't record Morgan's weight before the amputation. 9 months before, he was 72. A month after amputation he was 56. He lost quite a bit of weight after the surgery. A few months later he was up to 61.