Tea Tree Oil

My little Ig Flex has a bacterial infection on his skin..he had a lot of pustules..I did notice him licking himself a lot. Vet thinks it started out as an allergy and the licking helped it continue. He has had this in the past; but not like this. He has been on simplicef for 7 days and he was healing up nicely. He had one bath with Hylite shampoo; which helps him heal up. I think it was a detergent I used and am in the process of washing every blanket and bed he lays on (every single thing in this house!). We found him licking his hind quarters last nite..today there is a new pustule where he was licking! he has five more days of meds left. I should also add he has discoid lupus and takes doxy 50mg daily. gets one salmon oil capsule and 400mg of vitamin daily. I will give the vet a call tomorrow.

But I was just thinking; I read that tea tree oil is good for acne and bought a bottle at the health food store for my son. The magazine said to dilute it 50-50 and simply dab it on. I was wondering if I could try and dab this new "pimple" with a tiny bit of tea tree oil? This link explains the uses for humans: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupple.../TeaTreeOil.htm

Has anyone used tea tree oil on their dogs? Thanks

I hope it's not bad!! I've mixed a few drops with shampoo when I bathed my girl just last night. She's got an area on her side that she gnawls at. It's got some bumps/scabs. So far, so good. She doesn't seem to be itching as bad.

What does it say to mix it 50/50 with??

Hopefully, some more experienced folks will chime in. I'm curious to see if anyone else has used it. I've seen it listed as an ingredient in some dog shampoos....so, I don't think it will hurt.............

Guest longdogs

It is a mild antibacterial and antiseptic. It works quite well on dogs and humans for abrasions, insect bites and minor skin infections. It wouldn't hurt to try but go for something else if there isn't a rapid improvement. Ours is 150 microlitres of oil per millilitre and I don't dilute it further.

I have little experience with it but I think the stuff is great!! It's also good to use on a fungus

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have used it on abrasions and it heals like magic. I have heard that the dogs should not ingest it, but the smell itself, usually keeps them off of it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest fasterthanu

Tea Tree Oil is a mothers best friend when children go to school! I mix a few drops with water in a spray bottle and spay my children's hair everyday before school. I have never had a problem with lice in their hair!

I also use it as a natural repellent against fleas. The theory is that fleas dislike tea tree oil and will not go on the animal if you spray a fine mist on them. I do this each week on our golden and plan the same for Nero. Only during flea season of course. I have never had a side effect of any kind yet.

the directions i read for acne was to mix it with water. equal amounts of both. since he is on antibiotics, i will only try a dab on the one new spot and see what happens. i am going to call the vet though since new eruptions started while he is still on antibiotics....

I have asked a company that sells Tea Tree Oil ( Pure Liquid Gold) about using it on dogs and they do NOT recommend it because it shouldn't be ingested. The site you might try is teatreeoiluses.com. I found lots of information for uses on there but the I called the company and they said no for dogs.

Ruth

Guest longdogs
I have asked a company that sells Tea Tree Oil ( Pure Liquid Gold) about using it on dogs and they do NOT recommend it because it shouldn't be ingested. The site you might try is teatreeoiluses.com. I found lots of information for uses on there but the I called the company and they said no for dogs.

Ruth

Small quantities dabbed onto the skin are not going to be problem. If it is constantly being licked off and reapplied then it's not going to work anyway and something else should be tried.

Guest celticfairiemom

we have used it for Callie - she has a tendency to get bitten by bugs and hen won't stop licking the area because it bothers her. I have dabbed it on and she leaves it alone. The next day the area looks a lot better.

I use it a lot myself and love it. However, I learned the bad way as to why you need to dilute it A LOT for animals....I burned a whole in my ferrets skin. :cry1 Animals are much more sensitive to it than ppl so make sure you dilute it a lot. I would dilute it more than 50/50 if it were me....

Guest longdogs
I use it a lot myself and love it. However, I learned the bad way as to why you need to dilute it A LOT for animals....I burned a whole in my ferrets skin. :cry1 Animals are much more sensitive to it than ppl so make sure you dilute it a lot. I would dilute it more than 50/50 if it were me....

It depends on the initial strength. Most tea-tree oils aren't pure and are mixed with vegetable or mineral oil. Some don't have much tea-tree oil in them at all.

Guest fasterthanu
Do you dilute it with water? Or mineral oil or what?

I use plain tap water and only a few drops of tea tree oil when I use it. I only put a fine mist not a soaking.

I buy the Life brand name which is 100% pure tea tree oil; it is from Shoppers Drug Market and a 50ml bottle is about $13.00!

I use maybe 10 drops in a dropper to a 350ml bottle of water {I use tap water but measure it with the spring bottle that has been empty and re filled with tap water many times!} I have been doing this with my children and dogs for years and never had a problem with fleas, lice or any side effects.

Guest celticfairiemom

mine is 100% Australian Tee Tree Oil. I wet the cotton ball down then dab the tee tree oil on that. then I wet her skin down a little. She leaves it alone so I think the oil works as a anti itch oil also. Once it is on she has now problems with that area. Each area has only needed it once so it must be doing something.

I use it all the time. A few drops, even used neat (meaning undiluted), is not going to cause a major problem, despite what some sources say. It does help to ude a carrier oil, though. There are several you can use, all widely available (often in the grocery store!): grapeseed, sweet almond, and olive oils are some of the most popular, and easy to find. But injesting a small amount should not cause problems, though I have never used it on a small dog (haveing always had big dogs).

One caution, though, because it is so strong smelling, it is often very offensive to animals. My Manero goes bonkers when he smells it, so if I apply it to myself for any reason, I am very careful about going near him. But when he had a foot injury a few years ago, he would not leave the bandages alone. I tried several things, none of which worked. So I diluted 10 drops of tea tree oil in a HUGE bottle of water, and sprayed that on his foot. The stuff tastes NASTY, so I figured, that would deter him. He about went through the roof, he hated it so much! I had to re-bandage him! I am surprised he forgave me!

But I have found that it really helps in healing all sorts of minor wounds, as well as working as a topical antibiotic.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Thank you for all your replies! I did try a tiny bit on Flex's new sore. I diluted it more than 50-50 considering that he is a little guy! The spot has begun drying up already. I didn't put it on yesterday (skipped the day) and will check it today and apply a tiny bit more if needed.

One question: my female grey Missy is a foot licker. I have tried EVERYTHING...could a small amount diluted in water be used to "wipe down" her feet and in between her toes. She licked even with "yuck" (bitter apple) on her feet. Thanks

Thank you for all your replies! I did try a tiny bit on Flex's new sore. I diluted it more than 50-50 considering that he is a little guy! The spot has begun drying up already. I didn't put it on yesterday (skipped the day) and will check it today and apply a tiny bit more if needed.

One question: my female grey Missy is a foot licker. I have tried EVERYTHING...could a small amount diluted in water be used to "wipe down" her feet and in between her toes. She licked even with "yuck" (bitter apple) on her feet. Thanks

Yeah - bitter apple and the like are more like condiments in my house. It may deter them for a short time, but before long, they are doing what they did before.

Tea tree oil is worth a shot with Missy, but remember that it should not be injested in mass quantity. So be very careful, if you choose to use it in this manner.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest oldNELLIE

Also be careful how often you use it on dog skin (and human skin) as it can be very drying and lead to more irritation. It is an amazing anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti...everything, but it can be harsh, so only use the minimum you need to see results and don't continue to use it on the same area for a long period of time.

This is undiluted or minimally diluted, of course. I am sure if it is super watered down it is fine!