Alternatives To An E-collar

Guest JsMom

Our dog has a nasty cut on his front paw, with stitches in multiple places. It's been two weeks, and the vet says it can't stay bandaged or it'll never heal, so the tape and gauze are off. I can't get an E-collar on him to save my life -- he FREAKS out, runs into the furniture trying to back out of it, and is petrified by the floppy plastic noise it makes when he moves. How else am I supposed to keep him from licking his stitches??? I've got the muzzle on him now, but we all know he can lick right through that thing, and he's trying.

Any suggestions from those who've BTDT?

You can try putting duct tape over the holes of the muzzle. Obviously not ALL the holes, but the ones he can get his tongue through. Or you could purchase a "stool cup" for it.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I would suggest either a long sleeve t-shirt with vet wrap at the very bottom so your pup can't pull it up. Or, order a stool guard for the muzzle - they can't lick through those, but can still drink just fine. I know how frustrated you are - we went through it for several months after Shadow had surgery. The muzzle and stool guard were the only thing he couldn't work his way around.

Best of luck :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Where the heck do you get a stool guard?? I just called the rescue where we got him, and they don't have them. I'm guessing PetsMart isn't the place to go...

Try a bite not collar. We bought one for Monty and it didn't freak him out the way the E collar did.

bite not

Yep, call your group and maybe someone will have one to lend. Patrick absolutely spazzed with the e-collar. He doesn't like the bite-not collar, but he doesn't freak out with it.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest IrskasMom

I would think , that slighly larger white Baby socks that you can attach with Vetwrap . They have to be so large that Air

can get to the Wound. Just a Thought.

Guest Greensleeves

Our Nelly was in an e-collar last fall for five weeks after ear surgery. There was no alternative because of the nature of the surgery and the recovery--she needed a solid barrier to protect the ear. Our vets explained that pretty much *every* dog flips out when you put an e-collar on, but after 24 hours or so, they settle down. After about half that time, Nelly was fine. You may just need to *try* not to worry so much and give it time (easier said, I realize).

That said, for situations where an alternative *is* possible, we are HUGE advocates of the Comfy Cone (http://inthecompanyofdogs.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=D81037+BK+S). We've never had a dog even *react* to having it on. I much prefer it to the Bite Not (and so do the dogs!).

Edited by Greensleeves

I'm a fan of the Bite Not, but I don't think it's useful for protecting front or rear paws. The dog will be able to reach them even with the collar on. It's really useful for injuries on the body, or anyplace he'd have to bend his neck to get to, but not the paws, unfortunately.

How about a Therapaw or other velcro-on bootie?

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

if the cut is on his front paw he will still be able to reach it with both an e-collar or a bite-not collar. I had a dog with a wound on the middle of his front leg and the e-collar didn't help. He would just lay down and stretch his leg out and lick away. Sounds like the muzzle with duct tape or stool guard is the best suggestion.

I went through all these options with Stell for her front foot. She absolutely freaked with the e-collar, falling over and banging into things, so I tried to find a bite not but there werent any in our area, so I tried the rolled towel thing, didn't work for a front foot on a pretzel dog.

Finally what worked was a muzzle duct taped, with holes in it, I couldn't find a stool guard in time, and me trying to be home as much as possible because I was nervous leaving her alone like this. I also cut the foot and leg out of about a million pairs of panty hose and would spray them with bitter apple spray, let dry then put them on her and tape up around her knee, I figured they still let air in and the dried bitter apple spray slightly discouraged licking.

It was very stressful so :grouphug to you

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Taped muzzle. Don't wait for a stool guard. Here are some pics of Joseph's, from when he had abdominal surgery. You might have to put a bit of tape on the sides as well. I just used white medical adhesive tape; wrapped it around and stuck it to itself:

yetanotherview.jpg

bottomview.jpg

sideview.jpg

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest wilkinssquirrel

Petsmart also just started carrying the inflatable ecollars. Just an inflatable tube around the neck but should make it harder if not impossible to get to the paws. They're near the meds & vitamins, around $25-$30. Good luck!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I ended up duct-taping his muzzle. He's pretty unhappy, but it's working for the most part. I also got this stuff from a local holistic pet shop: http://www.azmira.com/Azmira%20Rejuva%20Sp...ay%20bottle.JPG. It seems to work a little better than Bitter Apple (that stuff has never been a deterrent for him). I'm not sure if it's working at all, but it's also supposed to help him heal. We'll see...

Guest paulamariez

I've had excellent luck with the baby socks. Tiger started getting contact irritation from the tape rubbing at the top, so he just wore the baby sock. Of course I was constantly putting it back on every little while, but his paws healed up nicely. He had wounds further up on his front legs and I even cut the toes off the baby socks and he wore "spats" further up his leg. Plus they worked greyt on Bueller's torn off dew claw as well, once again with the toe area cut off. Hope your sweetie is healing quickly!

I have posted this evening about my non grey and his split toe on hind foot. I have been using a sock but he can get it off very quickly, any hints on keeping them on? I have some vetwrap but it didn't seem to help :blink: anneh

I've had excellent luck with the baby socks. Tiger started getting contact irritation from the tape rubbing at the top, so he just wore the baby sock. Of course I was constantly putting it back on every little while, but his paws healed up nicely. He had wounds further up on his front legs and I even cut the toes off the baby socks and he wore "spats" further up his leg. Plus they worked greyt on Bueller's torn off dew claw as well, once again with the toe area cut off. Hope your sweetie is healing quickly!

To keep socks on, I usually get some plain old white tape, the kind you use to hold something like a gauze pad on (on people). I make sure the sock is pulled up over the joint (wrist or whatever) then tape around the sock. Then I fold the "cuff" of the sock down over the tape. You have to put it on tight enough to hold--and be sure to overlap the ends of the tape--but not tight enough to cut off circulation. Usually works like a charm.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.