Alternative Dog Ramp

Fudge

I have been searching and searching the web for instructions to build a dog ramp. Hope who is now 14 is starting to have trouble getting in and out of the minivan :( I wanted something lightweight not one of those heavy expensive metal things.

So lookie Dog Step :D I can do that!!

Yep, that's what I have. I glued carpet to the top, nonskid shelf liner to the bottom, and added a rope handle.

Note that it'll take the adhesive (to hold the layers of foamboard together) several days to dry.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Very cool! I have to show this to Mike. He's getting tired of lifting up those 90lb. plus boys!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I have a question for anyone who uses this (type of) step......

Where do you put it in the vehicle is/when you'll need it elsewhere? Like, if you are taking the dog(s) someplace where they will be getting out and thus needing to get back into the car? If you are just taking them out and about where they won't be getting out of the car -- then you can just leave the step at home.

I'm asking because, I have 2 11 year old boys who will possibly soon be needing help getting in my SUV. I do have a ramp, but I'm not sure I can get them to use it because it is short enough that it's a rather steep angle. The 'problem' with this item, for me, is that it is large and things are tight in the car now with all of the dogs loaded so I'm not sure how I would transport it to be of help elsewhere.

Thanks

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

I put mine either in the back with the dogs (up on edge so it takes up less space) or in the front passenger seat. I don't think my steps are as deep front to back as the ones shown, but I can't go back and measure because grammy just drove off with them in her car :lol .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tricolorhounds

I made a set a couple of years ago... They worked great but I ran out of room to store them, plus the cats decided to use them as a scratching post.

I used liquid nails to glue the sheets of insulation together... very secure

Yep, that's what I have. I glued carpet to the top, nonskid shelf liner to the bottom, and added a rope handle.

Note that it'll take the adhesive (to hold the layers of foamboard together) several days to dry.

Definitely carpet!! I like the rope handle...may I ask how you attached it?

I have a question for anyone who uses this (type of) step......

Where do you put it in the vehicle is/when you'll need it elsewhere? Like, if you are taking the dog(s) someplace where they will be getting out and thus needing to get back into the car? If you are just taking them out and about where they won't be getting out of the car -- then you can just leave the step at home.

I'm asking because, I have 2 11 year old boys who will possibly soon be needing help getting in my SUV. I do have a ramp, but I'm not sure I can get them to use it because it is short enough that it's a rather steep angle. The 'problem' with this item, for me, is that it is large and things are tight in the car now with all of the dogs loaded so I'm not sure how I would transport it to be of help elsewhere.

Thanks

I have a minivan so I will put behind the last seat at the back window. Doesn't your SUV have room behind the back seats?

Or, is that where the dogs go?

Rope handle:

steps2.jpg

I used a long drill bit to drill thru the top step from front to back. Behind the steps, the ends of the rope are knotted thru a small block of wood. That little bit of weight pulls the rope taut (reasonably) against the step when step is in use.

I see in my gallery that it says the steps are 19" wide and a total of 26" long. So I don't have to go out and measure :lol .

These things are so light you can pick them up with one finger, no fooling.

ETA: If you don't happen to have a long drill bit, you could cut a couple notches in the bottom of the top step before gluing it on. Then you'd have channels for your rope.

Rope handle:

steps2.jpg

I used a long drill bit to drill thru the top step from front to back. Behind the steps, the ends of the rope are knotted thru a small block of wood. That little bit of weight pulls the rope taut (reasonably) against the step when step is in use.

I see in my gallery that it says the steps are 19" wide and a total of 26" long. So I don't have to go out and measure :lol .

These things are so light you can pick them up with one finger, no fooling.

ETA: If you don't happen to have a long drill bit, you could cut a couple notches in the bottom of the top step before gluing it on. Then you'd have channels for your rope.

Ingenious! I'm off to Home Depot Monday.

I used Batmom's design, it has worked great here, the steps have lasted 2+ years so far. I made the mistake of using a bungy cord for the handle, and it's worn out now, so I should have used rope as she suggested.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

I have a minivan so I will put behind the last seat at the back window. Doesn't your SUV have room behind the back seats?

Or, is that where the dogs go?

The back seat is folded down so the 4 dogs have the whole back end - thus, the reason I don't have room to carry the steps! The passenger seat ... and the corners I can find in the back are stuffed with whatever I need when taking a trip - bags, things for the dogs ... etc.

I've been thinking of getting a cargo carrier for the hitch - if I get that, then I might just have a place to carry them!

Thanks!

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05