Lego Is Doing Fine

Guest the36thchamber

Guest the36thchamber

P9090052.jpg

I work nights and generally Lego is waiting for me when I get home in the morning so we can go for our walk. Yesterday when he was lethargic, he wasn't waiting for me, I had to go upstairs and get him. Last night, my wife called me at work and told me that his poo was normal which was great to hear. When I came home, guess who was waiting for me and bouncing around, yup, Lego. I could tell that he was much better but decided to take him to the vet anyway. I told the vet what happened, she examined him and said she didn't think that he was 100% but that he was doing fine. She told me to feed him some cottage cheese and rice and aim to get him back on his regular food by Friday. So what probably happened is that the piece of chicken that he found outside upset his belly and it just took him a couple of days to get over it.

The main reason that I posted the pic though is because and I posted about this once when I first joined GT, but most Greyhounds that I see are very very thin where as Lego has these BIG muscles. The vet that I went is very experienced with Greyhounds and has been working with them with the GPA for four years. She said that Lego is the most muscular Greyhound that she's ever seen. I guess I just wonder what the deal is, what's with all the big muscles. His racing weight was 73 pounds and he's now 78 pounds. The vet felt him all around and said that he's absolutely solid, all muscle. At first I thought that we were feeding him too much but she said he was fine and he's only five pounds above the weight that he races at. Does anyone have any idea whay he's built the way that he is and is it common?

Different build. Plus some dogs keep condition better, either due to exercise or just due to genetics.

He's a handsome kid, and I'm glad he's doing better!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Personally I'm not seeing much difference in him and what Spencer looked like when I got him home 5 years ago. Lego is extremely handsome that's the only thing I really notice.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy
I work nights and generally Lego is waiting for me when I get home in the morning so we can go for our walk. Yesterday when he was lethargic, he wasn't waiting for me, I had to go upstairs and get him. Last night, my wife called me at work and told me that his poo was normal which was great to hear. When I came home, guess who was waiting for me and bouncing around, yup, Lego. I could tell that he was much better but decided to take him to the vet anyway. I told the vet what happened, she examined him and said she didn't think that he was 100% but that he was doing fine. She told me to feed him some cottage cheese and rice and aim to get him back on his regular food by Friday. So what probably happened is that the piece of chicken that he found outside upset his belly and it just took him a couple of days to get over it.

The main reason that I posted the pic though is because and I posted about this once when I first joined GT, but most Greyhounds that I see are very very thin where as Lego has these BIG muscles. The vet that I went is very experienced with Greyhounds and has been working with them with the GPA for four years. She said that Lego is the most muscular Greyhound that she's ever seen. I guess I just wonder what the deal is, what's with all the big muscles. His racing weight was 73 pounds and he's now 78 pounds. The vet felt him all around and said that he's absolutely solid, all muscle. At first I thought that we were feeding him too much but she said he was fine and he's only five pounds above the weight that he races at. Does anyone have any idea whay he's built the way that he is and is it common?

You folks are a pair of awesome greyhound parents, from how it sounds. Lego is lucky you are so concerned and thorough with his care.

In my experience, to the observant eye, greyhounds' bodies can vary so much, based on the individual, even among the same litters. Gino was always a less-defined grey, never all that stocky but just smooth, even when he lost weight. Speck, on the other hand, was super ripped and wiry from day one off the track. Years later, Speck still has some very defined musculature but, with his ticking, I don't think it appears as defined as it truly is. Also, he's obviously lost a lot of the muscle mass since he hasn't raced in over five years.

Maybe Lego's body appears more defined because he is fawn? I think certain colors of coats help to show off the muscles, like I said. Plus, isn't he fresh off the track? And it sounds like you guys are being pretty particular about his care, which is also a (good) factor. Maybe investigate his lineage and see if you can view photos of his sire and dam. Sometimes, that helps to see why a dog's body is the way it is. Try Greyhound Data's online database.

Good luck! Hugs for Lego. He's handsome. :heart

So glad Lego is feeling better...such a handsome little man. :wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I once had two male greys and one weighed 78 lbs and the other almost 90. Kiowa weighed 78 and was actually a full inch taller than X though. Kiowa was a long/lean/tall. While X was shorter he was more muscular with much thicker legs and neck and a deeper chest.

Some retain more muscle than others. Lego doesn't look odd or particularly over-muscle-y to me (though it's hard to tell when he's lying down). As long as he has a nice tuck up and the end ribs are showing, his weight sounds about right.

You guys are walking him quite a it for his SA and that will help keep his racing muscle on. My Dude has been off the track since 2004 and he's still really well muscled though he's pretty much a couch potato (or rather, bed potato) now. We have zoomies and yard time every day, but he never has lost muscle, even when he was exercise-free when he had his toe amputated.

Lego is lucky to have such good parents!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest the36thchamber

You folks are a pair of awesome greyhound parents, from how it sounds. Lego is lucky you are so concerned and thorough with his care.

In my experience, to the observant eye, greyhounds' bodies can vary so much, based on the individual, even among the same litters. Gino was always a less-defined grey, never all that stocky but just smooth, even when he lost weight. Speck, on the other hand, was super ripped and wiry from day one off the track. Years later, Speck still has some very defined musculature but, with his ticking, I don't think it appears as defined as it truly is. Also, he's obviously lost a lot of the muscle mass since he hasn't raced in over five years.

Maybe Lego's body appears more defined because he is fawn? I think certain colors of coats help to show off the muscles, like I said. Plus, isn't he fresh off the track? And it sounds like you guys are being pretty particular about his care, which is also a (good) factor. Maybe investigate his lineage and see if you can view photos of his sire and dam. Sometimes, that helps to see why a dog's body is the way it is. Try Greyhound Data's online database.

Good luck! Hugs for Lego. He's handsome. :heart

Sometimes I feel like I'm a bit overly concerned... not as bad as when I first got him. I just want him to be happy and healthy just like I want that for all of my loved ones. We've had Lego for a month and a half and he was in foster care for a month before that. So yeah, he's still pretty fresh off the track I guess. I did look up his lineage and did see some pics but it's hard to tell, those pics on there are so small. Anyway, Lego is doing much better, just got back from a short evening walk and of course what's he doing now, sleeping :lol:

Guest LindsaySF

I am glad he is feeling better!

Some Greys just have a stockier build than others. My Teagan is tall and lean, he has a narrow chest and waist, he is not stocky at all.

Also, Lego is fairly recent into retirement, so he still has some racing muscles.

Edited by LindsaySF

My Beth (off the track since March) is a tall, leggy, noticeably muscular girl. She's about two pounds above her racing weight last I checked, and is getting a lot of exercise since I adopted her seven weeks ago. She looks pretty much like a female version of Lego, from what I'm seeing here -- her butt and shoulders are noticeably ripped, as the bodybuilders say.

This is from the weekend I first got her, she may be even more muscular now:

DSC00214.jpg

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

My girl Hailey is small, but really muscular---so much so that she looks really comical when she walks, and has to sit side-saddle. I had her at the track vet one day, and all the old racing guys were ooh-ing and ahh-ing over what a good-looking girl she was. The funny thing is, she was the only pup from her litter that DIDN'T make it as a racer!

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Guest the36thchamber
My girl Hailey is small, but really muscular---so much so that she looks really comical when she walks, and has to sit side-saddle. I had her at the track vet one day, and all the old racing guys were ooh-ing and ahh-ing over what a good-looking girl she was. The funny thing is, she was the only pup from her litter that DIDN'T make it as a racer!

Oddly enough, Lego is the only pup from his litter that made it as a racer :unsure

So glad he is feeling better.

Very cute boy!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Lego is very handsome! Beautiful coloring. :)

My Roscoe is a stocky, built boy as well. He raced at 72 lbs and is now 76 lbs. I get a kick out of his super muscular thighs. He's so cute. :blush

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest TBSFlame

Your boy is very handsome. I find that greys will vary a lot in body type. Both Star and Tessie had big buns and a flat back while Memmie is long and lean. Tessie's brother was Star's sire so they were related.