Dandruff Treatment

Guest ChrisC

We had flaxseed oil recommended as a treatment for dandruff in Daisy, who is black, and it seems to have worked well. However, it's expensive stuff, of course, when bought from the vet. Does anyone have any alternate recommendations for treating dandruff in greys, and/or does anyone know of alternate sources of flaxseed oil?

Any form of Omega fatty acid supplement will normally do the trick. Lots of folks here swear by Grizzly Salmon Oil. I use Omega fatty acid supplement caps I buy online from Vitacost.com.

My vet's office typically marks up things like that 100%, so I NEVER buy supplements from them.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest StriderDog

On top of supplements, always use a moisturizing, oatmeal-based shampoo IF you wash your dog (and try to avoid washing at all if possible). Frequent brushing with a soft brush (like an equine face brush) helps distribute oils and remove flakes.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Gino used to have a dandruff/dry skin problem, especially in the winter. Sometimes, it was eased by adding something so basic as olive oil to his food. Or egg or peanut butter or vitamin E capsules broken open and poured onto his kibble. That's what always seemed to work for us. I've always meant to try the Grizzly Salmon Oil.

Is it dandruff or dry skin?

For dandruff needs special "stuff" which I don't know about but dry skin which looks the same as dandruff ( :huh )

just keep petting her as the oils in your hands will do her coat well as well as a good food. We use "missing link" as a supplement. Lots of neat stuff in it.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thanks all for the responses - just what I was hoping to hear. And RobinM, it's a good question and I don't actually know which one it is. But the flaxseed has worked so we'll keep our fingers crossed it continues to do so.

Guest RocketDog

Rocket gets flakies when his skin is too dry - usually when I fall behind on giving him fish oil pills and/or using the Miracle Coat conditioning spray. When he's REALLY flaky I'll take a teensy drop of coconut oil, rub it into my hands, and work that little bit of oil into his skin. It leaves him glossy and flake-free, and he smells good too!

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you--their flaxseed oil is much cheaper than most places.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I give my hounds Heska F.A. Granules undefined. It's an Omega / flax goodstuff meal supplement. My brindle's coat felt like a scouring pad when I adopted him. I also think it has helped with his skin / allergy issues. Not sure how it compares with The Missing Link or similar?

You can order online or through your vet (mine will price match). Approx $25-$30 per tub (w/S&H), which will last about two months for my two hounds. I sprinkle a maintenance dose on one of their meals and moisten with a little warm water.

I have two that are black and I use Salmon oil and they shine. The dandruff will come back slightly if they get nervous, but otherwise it keeps their coats very shiny.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Greyt_dog_lover
I have two that are black and I use Salmon oil and they shine. The dandruff will come back slightly if they get nervous, but otherwise it keeps their coats very shiny.

I have had the same experience here. Two black beauties and the salmon oil pill (1/day in dinner) keeps their coats SHINY and soft, unless they have an extremely stressful event.

Chad