Amputation Of A Part Of The Body (dog)

Guest Elcyion

I think each case must be taken on its own merit.

(But yes, of course part of my choice with regard to Darcy was for my own benefit. I love her. I want her to be with us for as long as she can. But I also know when the answer needs to be a no, as we did with Maddison who we also loved - but it wasn't right for him so he didn't have it).

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greyhoundluv

My Elvis is a tripod. He didn't loose his leg to cancer, he was 4 weeks when the leg was amputated. There is nothing he can't do. He is just as fast, cleaver and busy as any dog his age. He is two now. He is the happiest hound I have ever seen and he doesn't seem to notice he is even missing a leg. I think no matter how long we have them, seniors, tripods or any hound, it's the love we had with them during that time. I've talked to many people who have tripods==all for different reasons. They always say the same thing as I, I would do it again, I would adopt another and tripods rock! I love my tripod.

Nothing in this thread has made me more sure of the quality of life the dog gets years after the operation. In MY (only my own) opinion, that feels like keeping the dog allive for my own selfish reasons, and not for the dogs.

I would never keep a dog alive for my own selfish reasons, but you perhaps need to remember that if a dog gets two or three happy years of good quality life after amputation, that is a long time to a dog. It's like saying to a person 'if I amputate your leg, you might get ten years'. Would you think it worth it?

I know, it depends on the quality of life. And that would be what I would judge it on.

My own opinion is that we need to be aware that it's all too easy for us to go the other way. When I was an animal nurse, a couple brought a cat in to be put to sleep. He was a perfectly healthy, young black cat. Why did they bring him? Because a couple of months earlier he'd got onto the railway line and had his leg mangled by a train. We'd amputated the shattered leg, and the cat had healed well and adjusted well, but the couple simply couldn't bear to see him like that. They were making the mistake of looking at him through the eyes of a human, and imagining what he might be feeling like. And no matter what the professionals told them - that the cat was in no pain or discomfort and there was no reason to put him down - they wanted that cat dead, for their own selfish reasons. Their personal comfort. They couldn't deal with looking at him.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest EmilyAnne
Nothing in this thread has made me more sure of the quality of life the dog gets years after the operation. In MY (only my own) opinion, that feels like keeping the dog allive for my own selfish reasons, and not for the dogs.

First off, I think you are being terribly insensitive.

Secondly, there's a lot of factors to consider in each unique case so I don't see how anyone can truly say what their decision would be in advance.

However, I know if I needed to have *my own* leg amputated in order to survive , even if for just a couple more years, I'd want my leg amputated.

Guest Elcyion

First off, I think you are being terribly insensitive.

Secondly, there's a lot of factors to consider in each unique case so I don't see how anyone can truly say what their decision would be in advance.

However, I know if I needed to have *my own* leg amputated in order to survive , even if for just a couple more years, I'd want my leg amputated.

I´m not saying that every dog that´s been amupteted is wrong. Everyone does what they need to do. You may think I´m coldhearted. That´s your opinion. I had my own strong opinion about this from the beginning, and started this thread to see if someone could lay more facts (then those I had sense before) about it on the table.

I asked a few questions, that´s importent to me. As far as this, no one have had any (in my eyes) cleir answers about those questions. They´ve had a lot of opinions, but no real hard "facts", like my dog got amputetad young, and lived until his was 10 years old, and had to be put to sleep beacuse "..."

Right now, in this moment, I can´t feel that an amputation would be for my dogs own good. It would feel that I was doing it for me. It WOULD be hard to put her to sleep, but that decsission I´ll have to make sooner or later. That´s the responsebility I took on my shoulder when I bought her.

Others may think the opposit, and it doesn´t bother me. Everyone can´t feel the same thing as me, and I won´t tell anyone that they have made the wrong decsission for their dog.

I´m going to ask them to ask them selves the nescesery question, that everyone should ask them self:

Do I think my dog can cope with this, and do I think my dog wuold be happy with three legs instead of four?

After that, my "job" is done. It´s up to the veterinary and the owners.

Guest HeatherDemps

For your sake then I hope you never have to face the terrible choice between amputating and saying goodbye to a hound. I had my grey's front leg amputated when he was 11.5 years old last January. I had him with me 7 months after that and it was not the cancer that forced us to let him go but something completely unrelated. I would not trade those 7 months for anything and the decision I made was in his best interests, I did not do it out of selfishness. I don't think my hound regretted my decision either- he had excellent quality of life until that very last day where I hade to make the hardest decision of my life.

He still went for walks, he ran around the yard on 3 legs, he loved eating and his treats still, loved going for his car rides, loved cuddling on the couch, could jump on the bed to lay in the sun, could stand next to the creek in the backyard to sniff the breeze, could play with his iggy brother, could enjoy ear scritches, could chase the kitties, could play at the dog park, could excitedly greet visitors at the front door, could lounge on his bed stretched out fully, could sit for treats still, and he and I enjoyed every precious moment we were given after the osteo diagnosis. Choices like this are never black and white but full of shades of grey and you don't know ahead of time what you would do when the ugly reality smacks you in the face.

You also might want to be a little more sensitive to those of us on here who have had to make this decision. You're entitled to your opinions but this is a highly sensitive topic for most people who have faced this choice.

I asked a few questions, that´s importent to me. As far as this, no one have had any (in my eyes) cleir answers about those questions. They´ve had a lot of opinions, but no real hard "facts"

And the reason for that Elcyion is that each case is different. Each dog is different. Each set of circumstances is different. And even if you spoke to the most famous professors of veterinary medicine in the world - you would still not get the answers you're looking for.

Anyway, I've had enough of this so I'm going back to making my arrangements for a very special party we'll be having in this house on Thursday.

I´m going to ask them to ask them selves the nescesery question, that everyone should ask them self:

Do I think my dog can cope with this, and do I think my dog wuold be happy with three legs instead of four?

What makes you think that every single one of us who has been faced with the situation has NOT asked outselves those questions? Why do you think we need you to tell us what questions we should ask ourselves?

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding your posting insensitive, insulting and unecessary.

I've been on this forum since 2001 and only once before have I felt the need to speak quite so directly to any other member. And for the sake of the forum and it's peace, I am moderating myself greatly.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest greyhoundluv

I can understand what your asking. People posted that have tripods and said, they are happy and do very well. But only you can make the decision for your dog. If she has her amputation and there are no other complications, she will recover and be just as happy as she is now. There will be an adjustment period for her, can you be there for her and help her through it? If you can, she can and will. If you feel you can not be there for her, then maybe your adoption group would take her back and help her. She could find a family that could accept and love her with three legs. Every case is different. In July we lost our precious Brindy to cancer. She was eight. We had her four years. We could of chosen amputation, but her odds at beating the cancer, not the amputation, were not good. So we gave her the gift of running free with the angels. Is this the same case for your girl? Is the cancer too far spread? Did the vets say she could not beat the cancer? Are you talking amputation or cancer? Amputation is not a big deal for a dog. They recover quickly and go on to lead a very happy life. But they do need the love and understanding of their owner. No one can gaurantee how long a dog will live. There are plenty of loved dogs that left way too soon and it was not do to an amputation, but rather to whatever illness they had. What do you want for her? How far can you go for her?

And yes, I do sleep with my tripod :) Would you?

I think I understand your line of thinking -- those are the kinds of questions I ask myself -- and I understand too why some people might feel offended by that.

As far as I know, no one has kept the type of statistics (numbers, percentages) you are looking for.

In general, dogs that have amputation due to injury seem to do as well as any other dog later in life. They don't seem to have any particular complications later on, from the amputation. Dogs who have amputation due to cancer -- it seems to depend on the type of cancer, and of course on the individual dog.

For a dog who has had an injury, the amputation seems to me to be similar to abdominal surgery. When my healthy dog swallowed something harmful, I had surgery done to remove it. If my healthy dog broke his/her leg and it could not be repaired, I would have it amputated. I think that is simply taking good care of the dog, and the question of whether I am doing it for me or for the dog doesn't arise. There are types of cancer that usually don't spread; that would be the same to me.

The types of cancer that spread rapidly -- that is more complicated to think about. Whatever statistics say (which is not much -- there are few if any good statistics), it really will be an individual decision as it is in people's own cancer treatment.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Elcyion

For all of you who think I´m such a bad person. I´ve NEVER said that you have done the wrong thing when you amputated. I HAVE said how it feels for me. I did ALSO say that other people may feel different, and I accept that. Where have I been so bloody insensetive?

I have written on a lot of places (considering my few posts) that my english isn´t the best. I´m trying my best to make my posts readeble, but you maybe need to read them twice before you decide thar I what to offend you?

Many people have answered about their younger greyhounds or older (senior) that have lived as an amputee. Those with younger dog, I would LOVE to hear from you in about 3-4 years, to check how your dogs are doing in the matter of caomplications later in life. That doesn´t mean that it´s something wrong with your dogs. Only that they don´t fit into the group I was serarching for.

Choices like this are never black and white but full of shades of grey and you don't know ahead of time what you would do when the ugly reality smacks you in the face.

Well, my world (in different to your?) IS black OR white. I would gladly change with you! Even when I don´t think you would want my black or white world.

I´ve tried my best, and aperently that isn´t good enough!

Guest EmilyAnne

Here is a good rule of thumb. Do not say anything anywhere on GreyTalk that you would not say directly to the face of someone who has had to make the painful decision.

For example, if you were talking to someone whose greyhound just went through a leg amputation, could you say directly to her face, "In MY (only my own) opinion, that feels like keeping the dog allive for my own selfish reasons, and not for the dogs."

And, treat others like how you would want to be treated. Let's say your dog had cancer, and you opted not to go through the amputation. I imagine in such a painful decision, you would want people to be very sensitive in what they say to you. If someone said something to you like, "In MY opinion, that feels like putting the dog to sleep was for your own selfish reasons, and not for the dog.", that would hurt would it not? The person saying it's only their own opinion doesn't really ease the pain very much.

The issue of wether or not to amputate I believe is the #1 most painful experience many at GreyTalk have had to go through. So you just have to be very careful what you say, and keep in mind there is a lot of deep, deep hurting going on over this issue. It's an area that calls for the utmost of compassion.

Also, I have never ever seen another group of people who love their dogs more than GreyTalkers. I am touched by the amount of love and dedication I see here at this board towards the hounds. I've absolutely no doubt at all, that every single person at this board who has had to make such a painful decision, did so with their hound in consideration above themselves.

One thing that would make a difference later in life is whether the front or back leg was amputated. The front legs carry most of the dog's weight so more stress is put on the dog's body if a front leg is amputated.

Insurance is dice-y. Generally, a dog can be insured with coverage that covers everything except problems related to the amputation. An amputated leg is considered a pre-existing condition. Where the problem really shows up is what the insurance company considers to be related. A strained back, arthritis in the remaining limbs, neck pain, etc. could all be denied coverage. Remember that insurance companies are in it for profit. Their idea of what is connected to the amputation is usually much, much more extensive than what you (or even your vet) would think.

The real issue for most of us who have dealt (or are dealing) with dogs with osteo creating the need for amputation is that we're not lucky enough to have the luxury of thinking too far ahead.

We may, if we feel really lucky, think about next week, but not much further than that. So we don't really waste precious time thinking about possible arthritis or other such complications which may result from a leg amputation.

For all of you who think I´m such a bad person. I´ve NEVER said that you have done the wrong thing when you amputated. I HAVE said how it feels for me. I did ALSO say that other people may feel different, and I accept that. Where have I been so bloody insensetive?

I have written on a lot of places (considering my few posts) that my english isn´t the best. I´m trying my best to make my posts readeble, but you maybe need to read them twice before you decide thar I what to offend you?

Here's the thing. Every person in this thread has responded with their opinion, just the same as you. No-one was rude to you, or told you that you were wrong. And it wasn't until you posted this -

that anyone said anything remotely judgemental, either. As others have said, many here on Greytalk have had to make this incredibly difficult decision, and have made it after much soul searching and heartbreak, taking everything into consideration.

If you come on to Greytalk as a new poster and ask such an emotive question and then say something like this, then I'm afraid you are going to offend people, and they'll respond accordingly.

Many people have answered about their younger greyhounds or older (senior) that have lived as an amputee. Those with younger dog, I would LOVE to hear from you in about 3-4 years, to check how your dogs are doing in the matter of caomplications later in life. That doesn´t mean that it´s something wrong with your dogs. Only that they don´t fit into the group I was serarching for.

You seem to be looking for an absolute, black and white answer, and there isn't one.

Try contacting Dr Couto of OSU university. He is the leading expert on bone cancer in the US, and if anyone has any statistics then he will. He's a nice guy, very approachable, and will almost certainly help you if he can. But don't expect a black and white answer from him, either. I doubt you'll get one. ;)

Choices like this are never black and white but full of shades of grey and you don't know ahead of time what you would do when the ugly reality smacks you in the face.

Well, my world (in different to your?) IS black OR white. I would gladly change with you! Even when I don´t think you would want my black or white world.

I´ve tried my best, and aperently that isn´t good enough!

OK, this may possibly be a language/culture difference thing, but it isn't a case of your best not being good enough for us. It's more that we don't understand your thinking. Medicine is seldom black and white. Life is seldom black and white. There are nearly always exceptions and 'if's and 'but's. You can't say 'if I amputate this dog's leg he will - 100% certainly - get terrible arthritis in the other leg in 6.5 years time'. You can't even say 'if I amputate this dog's leg he will heal beautifully' or 'he will not heal very well'. There are so many variables.

The only thing you could possibly say, if you were such a rigid person (which I hope you're not) is 'if this dog has a problem which requires amputation, I will put him to sleep rather than treat him, no matter what the prognosis'. That would be a pity. IMHO, only a vet has the skill and expertise to make the judgement on whether the dog will have a good quality of life after the op.

And that is just my personal opinion.

Guest Elcyion
Here is a good rule of thumb. Do not say anything anywhere on GreyTalk that you would not say directly to the face of someone who has had to make the painful decision.

For example, if you were talking to someone whose greyhound just went through a leg amputation, could you say directly to her face, "In MY (only my own) opinion, that feels like keeping the dog allive for my own selfish reasons, and not for the dogs."

And, treat others like how you would want to be treated. Let's say your dog had cancer, and you opted not to go through the amputation. I imagine in such a painful decision, you would want people to be very sensitive in what they say to you. If someone said something to you like, "In MY opinion, that feels like putting the dog to sleep was for your own selfish reasons, and not for the dog.", that would hurt would it not? The person saying it's only their own opinion doesn't really ease the pain very much.

The issue of wether or not to amputate I believe is the #1 most painful experience many at GreyTalk have had to go through. So you just have to be very careful what you say, and keep in mind there is a lot of deep, deep hurting going on over this issue. It's an area that calls for the utmost of compassion.

Also, I have never ever seen another group of people who love their dogs more than GreyTalkers. I am touched by the amount of love and dedication I see here at this board towards the hounds. I've absolutely no doubt at all, that every single person at this board who has had to make such a painful decision, did so with their hound in consideration above themselves.

Yes, I WOULD have asked any human I know (who let their dog be amputated) why they did it. Sooner or later. In that matter, I haven´t said anything in here that I can´t stand for/would do in real life.

I can understand if someone asked, and I would have to be able to answer (in my own eyes) to feel that I´ve thought it thrue. In my own opinion, I would have to be capeble of answering the questions I asked in the beginning. About long term health.

I feel that I can´t puit my dog thrue with that kind of operation, of reasons I wrote before. That doesn´t mean that other have the same feelings or relesionship with their dogs...

How am I going to look my self in the mirror, if that they comes, when the amuptation have "created" pain that I can´t fix, and I´d have to put her to sleep? Maybe others know how, but I don´t. I can only say one thing to them: Sometimes I envy you.

You seem to be looking for an absolute, black and white answer, and there isn't one.

Try contacting Dr Couto of OSU university. He is the leading expert on bone cancer in the US, and if anyone has any statistics then he will. He's a nice guy, very approachable, and will almost certainly help you if he can. But don't expect a black and white answer from him, either. I doubt you'll get one. ;)

In my world, their should be statistics about how well this dogs do on a longer term. Statistics is good enough. That´s not a garantee for my dog, but it´s a good prognosis if the statistics are good.

OK, this may possibly be a language/culture difference thing, but it isn't a case of your best not being good enough for us. It's more that we don't understand your thinking. Medicine is seldom black and white. Life is seldom black and white. There are nearly always exceptions and 'if's and 'but's. You can't say 'if I amputate this dog's leg he will - 100% certainly - get terrible arthritis in the other leg in 6.5 years time'. You can't even say 'if I amputate this dog's leg he will heal beautifully' or 'he will not heal very well'. There are so many variables.

The only thing you could possibly say, if you were such a rigid person (which I hope you're not) is 'if this dog has a problem which requires amputation, I will put him to sleep rather than treat him, no matter what the prognosis'. That would be a pity. IMHO, only a vet has the skill and expertise to make the judgement on whether the dog will have a good quality of life after the op.

And that is just my personal opinion.

IMHO? What does that mean?

I don´t know if you reallu understood what I was talking about before, when I said what OR white. I feel that I can´t axpressit better with my own words, so if you are intrested to really understand what i ment, you can search on wikipedia for autism. I don´t have enough to get at diagnos, but enogh to make my world suck sometimes.

My world IS black or white. No greys. It´s either yes och no, up or down... It´s very divided.

Guest EmilyAnne
[How am I going to look my self in the mirror, if that they comes, when the amuptation have "created" pain that I can´t fix, and I´d have to put her to sleep? Maybe others know how, but I don´t. I can only say one thing to them: Sometimes I envy you.

Are you under the impression that dogs who go through amputations are in permanent lifelong pain? They really DO recover from the amputations. Do you feel euthanasia is always a better option than any painful surgery?

IMHO - it just means 'in my humble opinion'.

I understand autism. One of my son's friends has Asperger's, and I understand that life is very different for her and always has been. It can make communication difficult, certainly, and you also have the language difference to cope with.

May I ask - do you have a dog that has a problem which might lead to amputation? I can understand your search for statistics, and your desire to understand as much as possible what the result might be. I really do think, though, that your vet is the best person to advise you.

I haven't had to make the decision, but I do know enough not to judge others who have. I'm sure it's a difficult decision, and the right answer is different for every family and every dog. I know the people posting here who have decided one way or the other did their absolute best for their dogs, and it is insensitve to come here, never having faced this difficult decision, and criticize people you don't even know or tell them how they should have thought about the decision.

I don't know what I'd do if I had to face that choice, but watching Darcy's struggle with cancer, her recovery, and her joyful life has made me rethink my general idea that I probably wouldn't amputate in the case of cancer. She's a dog who lives life to the fullest and I don't doubt is very happy post-amputation.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

What makes you think that every single one of us who has been faced with the situation has NOT asked outselves those questions? Why do you think we need you to tell us what questions we should ask ourselves?

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding your posting insensitive, insulting and unecessary.

I've been on this forum since 2001 and only once before have I felt the need to speak quite so directly to any other member. And for the sake of the forum and it's peace, I am moderating myself greatly.

I'm quoting myself because you seem to have missed what I said.

Guest Elcyion
[How am I going to look my self in the mirror, if that they comes, when the amuptation have "created" pain that I can´t fix, and I´d have to put her to sleep? Maybe others know how, but I don´t. I can only say one thing to them: Sometimes I envy you.

Are you under the impression that dogs who go through amputations are in permanent lifelong pain? They really DO recover from the amputations. Do you feel euthanasia is always a better option than any painful surgery?

No, I´m not in the opinion that any amputated dog lives in permanent lifelong pain. I know they very often cope with the operation really good, and lives a happy life (for a while) after the operation. That´s how far I feel that I know. I haven´t seen pictures/movies/... of dogs that have lived as amputees for a long time, and are ofcourse wondering, HOW do they feel after say 5 years?

May I ask - do you have a dog that has a problem which might lead to amputation? I can understand your search for statistics, and your desire to understand as much as possible what the result might be. I really do think, though, that your vet is the best person to advise you.

Right now, No I don´t. The discussion on the swedish forum just made me start think. It became very clear that the dog the discussed about, could be mine if she runs away some time, and what would I do then?

I haven't had to make the decision, but I do know enough not to judge others who have. I'm sure it's a difficult decision, and the right answer is different for every family and every dog. I know the people posting here who have decided one way or the other did their absolute best for their dogs, and it is insensitve to come here, never having faced this difficult decision, and criticize people you don't even know or tell them how they should have thought about the decision.

I don't know what I'd do if I had to face that choice, but watching Darcy's struggle with cancer, her recovery, and her joyful life has made me rethink my general idea that I probably wouldn't amputate in the case of cancer. She's a dog who lives life to the fullest and I don't doubt is very happy post-amputation.

How many times do I need to say that I don´t try to judge people? With the autistic-problems I have, this is the best I can do. I try to act the way I want other people to treat me. That includes being straight and no "halfway" answers. I can´t wrap things up more then I already have. I can try, but it often ends that I start talking about apples and in the end is talking about ducks, and don´t really know how I got there... :lol

I'm quoting myself because you seem to have missed what I said.

Me and the quotes are not best friends yet...

What do you wan´t me to aswer? Have you read the answers I´ve given other users after you? If you havn´t, reda and think. If you have, read again and think a little bit more.

If it's statistics you are looking for then you are wasting your time, there is a quote "There are lies, damn lies and statistics".....statistics bear little relevance to what will happen in our everyday real lives...and that is a FACT :lol

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest Elcyion
If it's statistics you are looking for then you are wasting your time, there is a quote "There are lies, damn lies and statistics".....statistics bear little relevance to what will happen in our everyday real lives...and that is a FACT :lol

I know statistics lie ;) But I think that I can manage to "read" the statistics well enough to see wich way it leans to. And a statistic gives me somewere to start from. To really see were probable problems will come up, and search for more information around each and one of the point.

Me and the quotes are not best friends yet...

What do you wan´t me to aswer? Have you read the answers I´ve given other users after you? If you havn´t, reda and think. If you have, read again and think a little bit more.

I have thought an awful lot over the course of this past 12 months.

So, let me explain what I wanted you to reply to.

Earlier in this thread you said:-

And I replied with the following:-

Therefore, those are the questions that I would like you to answer.