Please Help Me With Gas!

Guest abstractagent

Guest abstractagent

:blink: My dear sweet girl, Cindi, has got the worst gas. She clears out the room - and there are 5 of us in this house! We've tried different food and natural treats. What advice can you give me to either stop the gas or at the very least, make it less frequent and horrific? It's a daily, all day and night issue. It even wakes me up some nights.

I feel really bad for her because, in my thinking, if you have gas that bad, wouldn't your belly hurt? But she's happy and playful, like always. Her behavior isn't like a sick dog or anything, she just plain stinks! :blush And here we thought girls didn't fart. :lol

Any help and/or suggestions you can give to me is greatly appreciated.

Gas is caused by fermentation in the gut. The components that ferment are those that are not readily absorbed by the dog, and left to be digested by bacteria. These components typically include high-carbohydrate components (starch), which include wheat and corn.

You can find foods that are higher in protein and fat, and lower in carbohydrate, that may substantially reduce the condition.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest act2redux

do you mean like just mashed pumpkin?? or acidophillus ..milk? We have tried putting our gassy girl on a food that is less rich in fat/protien. It has helped quite a bit, but if pumpkin will cure it without making her stool runny I'm up for trying it!

Try Fortiflora. It is a probiotic made by Purina. You add a packet to their food once a day. You can buy it from your vet or cheaper at entirelypets.com.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest greyscot

I find that any kibble with wheat in it gives my Sporty the gas attacks. Believe me you have not experienced gas like Sporty's :fart Anyway I found a fish and rice based kibble all but eliminates the worst gas. I even make him peanut butter biscuits with gluten free flour or rice flour as any normal wheat based treats set him off.

Good luck!

What have been in the foods you've tried. Gas normally occurs in nasty quantity if a food doesn't agree with a dog, so even if you mask it by yogurt (if not lactose intolerant), pumpkin, etc... the food still isn't agreeing with the dog. Best to work on the cause instead of just covering up symptoms.

Ryan can clear a room if he gets into treats or something with wheat, chicken, or lamb in it.

or today, because he got into a new bag (Solid Gold - SEALED!!) of Jet's food which he doesn't get... So today we get gassed and I will be playing door lady each time he decides he has to go out and poop.

Poor Cindi. Sounds painful. Gee, my hounds, ages 9-1/2 and almost 11, have truly only had gas a handful of times (typically at a meet & greet) since I adopted them seven years ago - so perhaps there is something my experience that you may find helpful.

Long story, but my male, Indy, has allergies (which mostly cleared up after we started him on thyroid meds), so years ago I started both my hounds on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach, avoided biscuits/treats with beef, wheat, corn, and soy. Wheat makes him itchy, but perhaps in eliminating those ingredients due to allergy potential, it also prevented them from turning into gasbags?!!

A few years ago, I started to mix in a little Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato in with the Pro Plan. No problem (although I do introduce new kibble v-e-r-y slowly).

I know some people swear by yogurt, but dairy seems to give my hounds sloppy poo.

As for biscuits, HealthPro Nutrition makes holistic wheat-free biscuits, etc. (LuvaBones, Biscuits & Gravy, Fresh Bites) - and they smell yummy. Unfortunately, I can rarely find them in our local pet stores, so I order directly from them. They make VitaGravy, too.

Finally, for dinner (although I understand dogs don't really need vegetables), I mix in some cooked frozen green beans, broccoli, peas, carrots, whatever - not a lot, maybe 1/8 cup. A little fiber to firm up the poop.

No stinky hounds in my house. Poopin' is not a problem for either! Good luck! Hopefully, you will find the right combination. Sometimes it takes a little tinkering.

Guest abstractagent

You guys are awesome!

There's one thing I'm confused about now. One suggestion is to give higher fat and protein, one is to give less. I feed Iams (which is what another said) and have since I brought her home. I hate to change foods on her because my little Iggy always suffered with any change in his food. She's gotta know she stinks! LOL

I'm not a huge fan of yogurt either (but a great suggestion!) because of the runny poos.

Ahh! I just want my yummy candle smelling house back! :lol

Guest D_MansMommy
What have been in the foods you've tried. Gas normally occurs in nasty quantity if a food doesn't agree with a dog, so even if you mask it by yogurt (if not lactose intolerant), pumpkin, etc... the food still isn't agreeing with the dog. Best to work on the cause instead of just covering up symptoms.

Ryan can clear a room if he gets into treats or something with wheat, chicken, or lamb in it.

or today, because he got into a new bag (Solid Gold - SEALED!!) of Jet's food which he doesn't get... So today we get gassed and I will be playing door lady each time he decides he has to go out and poop.

Yep I agree :nod Yogurt and pumpkin are just a "band-aid". Find a food that really agrees with your pup. It does take some time(like months) but once you find the right food it will be better :)

:blink: My dear sweet girl, Cindi, has got the worst gas. She clears out the room - and there are 5 of us in this house! We've tried different food and natural treats. What advice can you give me to either stop the gas or at the very least, make it less frequent and horrific? It's a daily, all day and night issue. It even wakes me up some nights.

I feel really bad for her because, in my thinking, if you have gas that bad, wouldn't your belly hurt? But she's happy and playful, like always. Her behavior isn't like a sick dog or anything, she just plain stinks! :blush And here we thought girls didn't fart. :lol

Any help and/or suggestions you can give to me is greatly appreciated.

Hello :rolleyes: Our boy Attica had awful gas. He could clear a room as well. So we started giving him about 1 to 2 tablespoons of yogurt in his food twice a day. He hardly every has gas now. It really does work. Hope you find this helpful.

Lori