Tucker Is Loosing Weight

Guest crazy4greys

Guest crazy4greys

Tucker's racing weight was 80#'s. I have had him 3 years and he has always been around that weight. At today's vet appt. he only weighed in at 70#'s! He is eating 4 cups a day of Precise Plus and is currently taking Forti Flora. You can see the outline of his last 3 ribs pretty well. Otherwise he is his normal self.

The vet is doing bloodwork and he did not see any sign of Giradia (sp?). I am supposed to worm him with Panacur and Flagyl for 5 days. He was on Panacur last week for 3 days and his poop was nice and firm, but as soon the Panacur stopped, his poop got soft again.

Anyone have any other ideas of what to check for?

Guest Cris_M

I don't really have any advice. However, giardia has a shedding cycle. That means a stool sample will show up positive only about one day out of four. Just because the vet didn't see any giardia one day doesn't mean Tucker doesn't have it.

Hopefully, you will be able to get to the bottom of Tucker's problems and we'll soon see a update about how great Tucker is doing.

When was the last time he was weighed? Any changes in activity level? Will he eat more if you give him more?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Tess looks thin to me too, so I was interested to see any suggestions. We can see her ribs. She's a tiny girl, and totally normal and active and looks great otherwise. When we get back from Dewey, I'm going to have her checked.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest SusanP

He may have lost muscle since his racing days, which I'm guessing could cause a little weight loss? But probably not all of that weight loss.

Guest crazy4greys

He was weighed yesterday at his vet appt. He still has pretty good muscle mass as he runs everyday inside and out :rolleyes:

His ribs really show when they haven't before. He will stick his head in the food bag like he hasn't eaten in days! He hasn't changed any activity level.

Guest LindsaySF

Poor Tucker. This was the problem a few months ago right? Didn't someone suggest SIBO?

Teagan had similar problems, but Panacur and a food change did the trick. Teagan's problem was that he wouldn't eat (picky eater), but he likes the Blue Buffalo now. I also feed A LOT of canned food now. It is hurting the wallet, but it makes him eat!

Does he act hungry all the time? If he is still eating but not gaining weight maybe there is a hormonal or metabolic problem?

I hope Tucker feels better soon.

When was he weighed last before the other day? If he's lost 10 pounds over the course of a year, that's of concern but not as much as if he's lost 10 pounds in, say, the last 2 months.

One other thing to consider is, sometimes vet's scales are off or need to be calibrated. That can make a difference of several pounds and could be the case if he looks kinda lean but not *that* skinny to you.

Couple other pups on the board have had issues similar to what LindsaySF describes -- food that always worked in the past doesn't work any more and just goes on through. Hope it is something simple like that and you can get it resolved quickly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest crazy4greys
When was he weighed last before the other day? If he's lost 10 pounds over the course of a year, that's of concern but not as much as if he's lost 10 pounds in, say, the last 2 months.

One other thing to consider is, sometimes vet's scales are off or need to be calibrated. That can make a difference of several pounds and could be the case if he looks kinda lean but not *that* skinny to you.

Couple other pups on the board have had issues similar to what LindsaySF describes -- food that always worked in the past doesn't work any more and just goes on through. Hope it is something simple like that and you can get it resolved quickly.

He was last weighed in February when he had a poop problem back then. He weighed 75#'s.

Everything was negative. The vet gave me Hills' Prescription Diet W/D which has more fiber than protein. He said that should help his poop.

Guest crazy4greys

I have added beet pulp to his food regularly with no success.

No I haven't tried home cooked or raw.

Which Eagle Pack Senior? The only one I found is 26/3.5

If he's losing weight, W/D is the LAST thing you want to feed him. Really. It's an extremely low-calorie food. It can be useful for fiber-responsive bowel disease, but if your pup is genuinely underweight it would be a bad idea to feed only W/D. What you might do is feed his regular food and mix in half a cup of W/D at each meal and see if that helps.

Guest crazy4greys
If he's losing weight, W/D is the LAST thing you want to feed him. Really. It's an extremely low-calorie food. It can be useful for fiber-responsive bowel disease, but if your pup is genuinely underweight it would be a bad idea to feed only W/D. What you might do is feed his regular food and mix in half a cup of W/D at each meal and see if that helps.

Thanks. I was thinking of doing that since I just opened a new bag of Precise Plus and didn't want to throw it out and I would have to do that for a transition anyway. I try that and see what happens.

Guest LindsaySF

Hopefully the mix helps a bit.

Have you tried other kibbles? I think I remember you saying you were going to try something besides the Precise Plus. Maybe you just haven't found the right kibble yet?

Teagan is doing better on wet food now, and he decided during Dewey that he liked Kirkland kibble again. :blink: He ate it straight! He did eat the BB once I mixed it in though. Weird dog.... I swear he just likes variety!