Merlin Threw Up In The Car After Vet Exam

Merlin had his annual exam at the vet today. He also got his rabies and bordetella update shots. He was given a few treats to distract him, then about 30 minutes later I took him to the ballpark for a run (it's been so wet he hasn't had a chance to really stretch his legs for 2 weeks)... on the way back home, he threw up in the car.

I'm thinking I should not feed him tonight to let his stomach settle... do you think that's unnecesary? Relatively lame question, I know, I was just wondering what others would do. We also have to leave him for a while to drop off the car at my in-laws and can't take him with us - and I'd kinda prefer not to come home to a pile of puke :rolleyes: ...

Do you think the vomiting was from the combination of treats + run (kinda stupid of me as I'm usually so particular about waiting to feed him before or after exercise), or might it be the injections?

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SoulsMom

I guess it all depends on if he vomits again. Sounds like it could just be from the events of the day, kinda like how Soul gets loose stools when he has a very exciting and busy day . . . .

It was probably a combo of everything...if anything, give him something light, like some cottage cheese or yogurt. He might have gotten a little car sick, and then the combination of the meds from the shots.

I would guess it's all of the above. Merlin, you are just too handsome to feel sick! Misty says a little bit of ice cream always settles the stomach

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm surprised your vet didn't tell you what it says on my receipt any time George gets a vaccination--"Your pet has been vaccinated. Please keep him quiet, and observe him closely." Next time I guess you skip the post vaccine run!

I'm sure he'll be fine. Now, getting the :yuck out of the car...

It just keeps being a fun thrill ride, doesn't it?

:grouphug

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thank you for the advice. I'll not feed him and just watch him. I can't feed him dairy as it gives him the runs, so I'll just leave it for tonight. I don't really want to leave him. I think I'll leave DH with him and go by myself.

My vet is awesome. I'm a bit miffed that she didn't tell me to keep him quiet after his vaccinations. :angry:

The barf! :eek:yikes Oh no! I forgot to put the blankets in the washer! Eeeeww.

Btw Hilda, totally off topic, but I like your Halloween siggy! :lol::thumbs-up

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I've been going to the same vet since 1980 & I've never been advised in person or in writing to keep them quiet after their vaccinations.

Yeah, if he's sensitive to dairy, I'd not give him ice cream, yogurt or cottage cheese...at the same time I wouldn't NOT feed him, maybe give him a few bites of food.

Thanks for the compliment on the siggie...my friend Dee/Nygreys did it for me! I love Halloween because of the candy! Not into the witchy thing or what its supposed to be about, I just like giving out candy!

Lots of times dried vomit is easier to clean up than the fresh stuff.

Thank you for the advice. I'll not feed him and just watch him. I can't feed him dairy as it gives him the runs, so I'll just leave it for tonight. I don't really want to leave him. I think I'll leave DH with him and go by myself.

My vet is awesome. I'm a bit miffed that she didn't tell me to keep him quiet after his vaccinations. :angry:

The barf! :eek:yikes Oh no! I forgot to put the blankets in the washer! Eeeeww.

Btw Hilda, totally off topic, but I like your Halloween siggy! :lol::thumbs-up

Well, maybe my vets are unique; but I've been told my entire adult dog owning life to keep them quiet and observe them after vaccinations. Although I was dead certain someone would disagree with me when I wrote that. ;)

Hope he's feeling well tonight! Perhaps a scone with jam?? Or..and english muffin?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I got back at 9pm and decided to give him a little food. I gave him a cup of his regular kibble with half a teaspoon of wet food. At first I thought he might refuse it - guess again :P:rolleyes:

He's been sleeping a lot and got all snuggly with me when I got back. Looks like he's feeling a lot better :yay

Thanks again for the advice! :)

Lots of times dried vomit is easier to clean up than the fresh stuff.

Ever the practical one!! :lol::lol:

Edited by merlinsmum

So glad our Merlin is back to being himself! :wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.