Gsod With Loose Stools/diarrhea

Guest ArtysPeople

Guest ArtysPeople

First thing Monday morning, Arty vomited yellow bile twice, then had the most incredible case of diarrhea I've seen him have. I swear, I think everything in him came out in three or four "goes". I stayed home with him that day; he was a little lethargic at times, but it also might have just been that I was interrupting his normal nap times.

Yesterday, woos were a little soft, but definitely better and I thought we were all over it.

Then, this morning, an URGENT need to go, and when we made it downstairs he let out these awful GSOD while actually wooing fairly little. What did come out was pretty solid and included a mucous-like stuff. He made several subsequent woos this morning, ranging from almost solid to thick liquid, and screamed every time he did it. His stomach/bowels seem to be rumbling.

Throughout all of this, his appetite has been excellent, and his energy level was quite high this morning. He isn't showing any signs of being dehydrated.

I'm considering staying home with him again today (working from home), just in case he needs to go mid-day. I'm willing to give it a few more days before we rush off to the vet, but I wondered what you all thought. I'm not unconcerned, but should I be more worried than I am? Should I be doing anything other than waiting and watching?

Cody did this a few times when she was having severe gastritis attacks... probably worth a vet visit if it doesn't stop soon. Is he drinking lots of water? Don't let him get dehydrated.

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I'd take him to the vet today.

I usually give ordinary diarrhea 48 hours to improve, then off to the vet. You've got more than ordinary diarrhea so best he should be seen.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ArtysPeople
If your dog is in pain while defecating, I'm not sure why you want to 'wait a few days'. Could be a blockage, which is serious stuff. Call the vet, now, please.

I thought he might just be a bit raw from having diarrhea earlier this week, and didn't want to rush off to the vet if it wasn't anything to worry about. I don't think it's a blockage since he is still having a little bit of well-formed woo (followed by lots of diarrhea), but you're right. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

When Angel LaceyLaine had flare ups with her Pancreatitis, she did the scream with the diarrhea. Please let us know what the vet says. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest ArtysPeople
woo? :unsure

I don't know . . . "feces" just sounds so formal. It's the preferred term for #2 in our house. As in, "Did he woo, or just wee?"

We dropped off a stool sample at the vet's office. He made an "extra fresh" one there before we left . . . no GSOD this time, but it is his 4th woo so far this morning. We have an appointment for 3 this afternoon with the vet-who-may-or-may-not-be-competent, and a standing request to call us if ANYTHING opens up with the known-to-be-good vet. Until then, Arty has made his choice clear: he wants to spend the morning sleeping in the sun in the back yard, so that's where we'll be. Thank goodness for laptops, eh?

Guest ArtysPeople

Well, in case anyone was waiting to hear, we got in early with the "known good" vet. They examined his fecal sample, and did a fecal cytology, and an exam. The results were that he's got a slightly elevated level of one of the normally-occurring bacteria in his feces, but other than the fact that he's pooped 6 times so far today, he looks absolutely healthy. The vet actually said that without my report of his pooping activities, she wouldn't have thought there was anything wrong. So he's on flagyl for a week, and if it doesn't clear up in a few days, I'm supposed to take another sample in. Here's hoping the flagyl does its magic. :goodluck

Poor Arty. I hope the Flagyl helps. Sending lots of scritches his way, and a :bighug your way too :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Glad they feel that this is nothing serious. :grouphug Update us as you can.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

My Wally says, "Flagyl is my friend." He's on it for a week too. How Arty feels better soon.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

How's he been doing this evening?

I'm glad you got him to the vet. Hopefully the flagyl will have him feeling better very quickly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ArtysPeople

He just did a fully solid woo with no GSOD! :yay

Not sure if the Flagyl is helping any at all, but Arty sure is enjoying the pill pockets we picked up on the way home.

So, I witnessed him eat a tiny (maybe quarter-sized) amount of something (I have no idea what) during our walk on Sunday. Vet's working theory is that whatever that was upset his stomach, hence the vomiting and diarrhea on Monday. He got over that, which is why he was better yesterday, but it set his internal organisms all off balance, which is why he had the diarrhea again today. If so, Flagyl should take care of it, and if not, Flagyl should take care of the three or four other things it might be, too.

Ah, Arty, the things I go through for you, my clueless little dog. :wub: