Stiches On Neck

Guest MonsterMomma

Guest MonsterMomma

On Saturday morning, Breanna was having zoomies in the yard with Manny. I didn't see what happened...maybe they collided, maybe they were pawing at each other...but she came in with a nasty gash in her neck. It's right above her collar bone, and next to all the important vascular structures. Fortunately, it only cut the skin, and the fascia and underlying structures were intact. After an emergency trip to the vet for cleaning, debriding and ten stitches (and a manicure), she came home with antibiotics and pain meds.

We've been keeping it bandaged, and have her in a cut down turtleneck shirt to keep her from scratching. As time goes by and it heals and gets itchy, she's been wanting to scratch at it. Tonight we let her out in the yard by herself for the first time, and before we could stop her she scratched at the wound and opened it up a little. It looks like she tore out one stitch. We cleaned it up, and will butterfly and re-bandage it when the oozing stops. She's under constant supervision now while the bandage is off, but we need to sleep at some point, and both have full-time jobs.

How in the world can we keep her from scratching it open again? An e-collar wouldn't prevent her from getting that back leg on it. She really needs something to keep her leg from getting to her neck. If I tape up her back foot, she'll just chew the tape off. Any ideas? Have any of you ever found something that works in this situation?

First let me admit I'm a whimp so I wouldn't use a muzzle. If you don't think she'll keep socks on her feet with a velcro strap, I would keep a light weight turtle neck on.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greydogluvr

I had this experience no too long ago. I tried a variety of things but the most effecive was the leg of a pair of stretch pants. I cut them at the point where they were not too tight but tight enough to stay in place. I just slipped them over her head. I had just enough stretch and bunched up like a snood (spelling). I did not want to muzzle... best of luck.

Guest MonsterMomma

The crazy girl scratched right through a turtleneck and bandage with extra tape tonight.

Does anyone know where I could find a neoprene, leather or chain link turtleneck?

Guest MonsterMomma
I saw a really neat Doughnut type blow up collar....I think it was Doctors Fosters & Smith :)

Good idea! I checked that out, but unfortunately she'd still be able to get her back foot up underneath it to scratch. Too bad they don't make it as a vest.

Zema wore a bandage or sock on her back foot for a couple weeks while her neck stitches healed. If you think your pupper will want to chew the bandage, then add a kennel muzzle.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Is it in a spot where a fleece belly band with pad inside might cover it? If you can get it under the turtle neck, it will work great. I've used that method along with a sock on the back foot held on with vet wrap.

Can you borrow a "no bite collar"? That would actually block access to the wound, and they are padded on the inside so it should be okay over the stitches.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest MonsterMomma

Not much has worked, except constant supervision. She's been bandaged and wearing her turtleneck, but managed to open up the incision a couple of days ago. I closed it with a butterfly bandage, and it's healing again. Today she tore the bandage off again while we were at work, but didn't damage the incision. Her stitches come out tomorrow night. I'm fully expecting she'll be sporting steri-strips for a while.

No MPWA Homecoming Picnic for her on Sunday.

I used a sweatpant leg when Grace was attacked last year. I also used a sock over her foot, with a bootie on top of the sock. She was feeling pretty bad for a long time so she just slept a whole lot. Plus I could bring her to work with me, so I could check on her often. That combo worked best for us, but the healing was long, slow and not very fun.

Wishing your pup a speedy and easy recovery! :kiss2

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest LindsaySF
Is it in a spot where a fleece belly band with pad inside might cover it? If you can get it under the turtle neck, it will work great. I've used that method along with a sock on the back foot held on with vet wrap.

That sounds like a good idea!

I would keep a sock on her foot so she can't scratch. Muzzle her if she keeps chewing the sock off her foot.

I would also muzzle the pups in the yard from now on, to prevent another injury.

Guest MonsterMomma

Bree went back to the vet tonight. Her stitches are out, but now she's got three staples, an oozing half-healed wound, and ten more days of antibiotic. Because of the location we having difficulty getting bandages and tape to stay on her. Every movement wiggles it loose. I think we've got a secure dressing on there now, along with her turtleneck. She's spaced out on pain meds and laying quietly beside me.

I'm amazed at her stoic and gentle disposition. She didn't let out a peep when the vet removed the stitches...not even when he put in the staples! :yikes We clean and dress her wound twice a day, and she's as pleasant and cooperative as can be. She's also been much better about not scratching at it, thank goodness. I think ripping a stitch loose a few days ago taught her that it's just not worth it.

I used a sweatpant leg when Grace was attacked last year. I also used a sock over her foot, with a bootie on top of the sock. She was feeling pretty bad for a long time so she just slept a whole lot. Plus I could bring her to work with me, so I could check on her often. That combo worked best for us, but the healing was long, slow and not very fun.

Wishing your pup a speedy and easy recovery! :kiss2

Thank you for your well wishes and advice, gracegirl. I can't bring Bree to work, but I can work from home when I need or want to. I also have the advantage of having my parents living here (in separate quarters), and they check on her frequently when I'm not at home.

This is taking longer than I anticipated, but we'll get her through it as quickly and comfortably as possible.

Edited by MonsterMomma