Recent Loses Are Many

rycezmom

I posted this last year when it seemed that we had lost so many in what seemed a short period of time. I have read the Remembrance threads throughout the summer and the sadness of loss has been at times overwhelming. I finally went back and found my post and reminded myself of the reasons why the losses seem so great. I am posting it again, maybe more for myself than anything else. But maybe others need a reminder also. It helps ease my heart and I hope it will ease others.

This has been a bad couple of months. Miss Milly leaving me so unexpectedly in August seemed like just the beginning of a long string of losses.

I have tried to rationalize this in my own mind and it occurred to me that as time goes on, more and more people are joining GT. All of us are well within our comfort zone here and know that we will get wonderful support here when we lose one of our hounds. Support that is frequently withheld at work or among friends who are not hound or dog lovers. We are after all, here for the benefit of our hounds and their well being. GT is a very large extended family and we have taken each other and each others hounds into our hearts and know them so well that we have incorporated them into our everyday lives. Therefore, more people we know will post of their loss of hounds we have grown to love. I also realized that we, as a group, are caring for a larger and larger number of hounds who are living well into their old age. What wonderful care they are getting from their collective GT family to live this well and long. I like to think that maybe we are seeing more losses because the number of adopted hounds has increased. Because our communication has increased. Not only have we increased our knowledge and communication through this board but have expanded our friendships to worldwide. We share with a global greyhound community instead of our small local communities. This open global communication may just make it seem that there is more. It makes my heart swell with gladness that the number of hounds in forever homes today continues to increase. And with that increase we will always see an increase in loss. I will relish the numbers for I know that every hound we mourn here on Greytalk had a loving home, a comfortable couch and a family that loved him or her. What more could we ask for our hounds.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest FrostyBottoms

Thank you Leslie....I have not lost a hound yet, but every time another GT family member loses one I feel for them. I know when that day comes that I can come here for support and comfort. :grouphug Hugs to everyone who has lost a beloved greyhound.

Here, here. Very well said. Every lost Grey takes a piece of all of us in some way or another.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

That was very nice. I've already lost two, and luckily it is going on 7 and 9 yrs now. (the pain is finally fading).

But unfortunately I now have three old ladies (13 and two 11 yr olds). I just have the feeling I'm going to lose all three very close together. And I have no idea how I'm going to handle it.

Except come here to GT.

:grouphug to everyone.

I've felt the pain myself from my own loss and also the losses of several of my friend's hounds. So many of them go too young. It's much harder to cope with when it feels as if their lives have been stolen.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.