What Could This Be?

Guest ss556

Alan started Temaril-P last night and had one pill this morning. He is on a very low dose (according to vet) b/c he has kidney disease. He is getting this b/c his itchiness and biting himself has not stopped, only has gotten worse. I've tried it all, started with flea bites. Benadryl & tavist didn't really help him. Anyway about 30 mins. after giving him the Temaril-P (along with high blood pressure meds, etc.) he was following me around the house as I got ready for work, he doesn't usually do this. He went out ok this morning before this. Then he attempted to get off his bed, all four legs trembled a lot, his head was downward and his rear leg knuckled. I supported him as I thought he was about to fall down - this whole thing lasted about a minute, or maybe even less. He was then ok - walked into my room and jumped on my bed. I called the vet and he said he didn't think this was a reaction from the Temaril, didn't think it was a seizure or mini stroke. No, his legs did not fall asleep. He said let's watch him for the next 24 hrs. (yeah, well I'm at work now). He has many issues and I don't know what to make of this. Anyone?

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

My dog had a poor response to medication, which I ended up stopping myself as our vet was out of town. I would suggest you Google the medication and look at the potential side effects.

Two of my dogs have seasonal allergies which start in mid-August until a hard freeze. One will do OK with just Benadryl but my big boy gets shots, this year Depo-Medrol for 2 weeks, now on Triamcinolone. Not good to be on corticosteroids but he chews himself to pieces. Also use Genesis spray which works on stopping the itching, and then a special allergy bath every 7-14 days. Plus antibiotics for the broken skin, plus another product on the hot spot...it stinks.

Keep us posted! :gh_face

Guest greytmonty

That sounds very scary. As you know Monty did TERRIBLY on temaril but we never saw anything like that.

Call U of P and ask the doc who replaced Palmiero, I bet they will talk with you over the phone about it.

That sounds very scary. As you know Monty did TERRIBLY on temaril but we never saw anything like that.

Call U of P and ask the doc who replaced Palmiero, I bet they will talk with you over the phone about it.

I'd discontinue the Temaril. When new medication and new behaviors happen at the same time...I think they are connected.

That is way too scary for me as well. Call the vet that greytmonty suggested and get a second opinion too, and ask about other topical products plus antihistamines for dogs-there has to be one that you haven't tried. Poor Alan needs some relief.

From what you have described with his itching now, I'm assuming it is a dermatitis type reaction-so I'd start with a process of elimination for everything that currently touches him.

I'd start with laundry and wash everything you can that Alan lays on without soap, (run the inside of his dog beds through the dryer without a softener sheet incase it is dust mites or something left in his bed) then rinse the heck out of him even if it is just with a spray bottle and a towel. You could put some tea-tree oil in the water to help with skin irritation as well.

Where is he itching? Legs, ears belly bum? Where is he chewing? Any new foods? Any new travels? Long grass? It seems kind of silly, but if you can go back to when this started and provide as many details as possible (even though they may seem irrelevant) it would help us with allergy experience come up with some better ideas for you.

Hogan was even allergic to the fillers that they put IN the pills, so you never really know what the trigger is until you work through and eliminate all kinds of things.

Guest Greensleeves

Nelly has kidney disease and allergies, too; we've been giving her Hydroxizine for years as an antihistimine. I've read that kidney dogs *should not* get steroids (ie, prednisone, the P in Temaril-P). You might ask your vet about Hydroxizine or Cypoheptadine (?) instead. I sympathize, though--for Flint's allergies, Temaril-P is the only thing that will touch them.

Is he on allergy shots? They really help Flint, but it probably took us at least a year+ to see really good results from them, and with a kidney dog... who knows.

You might have to resort to preventive therapy (ie, frequent/daily baths with medicated shampoos, wipe-downs with a wet towel, topical itch relief, keeping booties on him so he doesn't chew off his feet, soft e-collars or snoods to protect the ears, etc), particularly b/c your options with changing diet aren't that wide with kidney problems.

Good luck!

How is he doing this evening? I too would suspect the new medication.

If you don't think you can give him internal meds to help his itchiness, I'd echo the suggestion above for medicated baths or wipes. When I get a flea bite, it takes 3-4 weeks for the mad itchies to go away, so it does stop eventually.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I did give him another temaril pill this evening. no bad effect, but he's still itching right here behind me. I gave him 3 so far, don't think I do want to continue as I'm too worried about his kidneys. I'm taking him to a different acupuncturist on Thurs. and see what he says/thinks - I'll ask about the allergies as well as treating his back/legs. I hope not giving him another pill won't affect him.

Sending prayers for Alan. Please kiss him for me. :grouphug Brook is going through a horrible itching phase...she does not have fleas that we can see...nobody else is itching...and she gets her frontline plus on the 1st each month. I have gone over her whole body with flea comb...nothing...I am seriously wondering if it is her food...I got the girls Kirkland Lamb and Rice for a change from the Kirkland Chicken and Rice and her itching started right there after. I have put her on VanPattens Duck and Potato and we will see if she does any better...she is even scratching at her little eyes...you hate to see them itch. Update us as you can. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Greensleeves

I know you're considering going off the Temaril, but I'm just gonna mention this anyway... it's typically given in higher "loading doses" at first, which you taper down to a daily or as-needed dose. Just starting at the daily dose doesn't seem to get the symptoms under control. I'm sure it's different for weight, etc; but Flint's loading dose starts at like 4 pills a day (vs the one, if needed, that's his regular dose). I think this is SOP for steroids?

If your boy is really inconsolable with the itching right now, I'd be inclined to pop him in the tub for a cool bath. Even if you don't have medicated shampoo, plain water will be soothing and help get the topical allergens off his skin/coat before he can inhale/ingest them.

Good luck!

Alan is mad at me - otherwise I think he's ok. :angry: I kept him on the tameril-P - one pill has only 2 mgs. of prednisone I spoke to my regular vet of almost 8 yrs. and went w/ his recommendation. He is definitely itching less!!! :) As far as the acupuncture vet - wouldn't do it again. Between the ride there, the wait there, the actual acupuncture, the ride home (2.5 hrs. total time) he heavily panted the entire time. I wasn't impressed at all with the vet and he didn't have much to say. :( I hope Alan won't hold grudges too long. His poor sad face there - he was saying Mommy take me home! I will have to make it up to him. ;)

Alan is mad at me - otherwise I think he's ok. :angry: I kept him on the tameril-P - one pill has only 2 mgs. of prednisone I spoke to my regular vet of almost 8 yrs. and went w/ his recommendation. He is definitely itching less!!! :) As far as the acupuncture vet - wouldn't do it again. Between the ride there, the wait there, the actual acupuncture, the ride home (2.5 hrs. total time) he heavily panted the entire time. I wasn't impressed at all with the vet and he didn't have much to say. :( I hope Alan won't hold grudges too long. His poor sad face there - he was saying Mommy take me home! I will have to make it up to him. ;)

I'm glad Alan is feeling better even though he's mad at you. Ice cream has magical powers in that department. :lol

Poor Alan... kidney issues can make people itchy, so maybe that's part of his problem?

I'm sorry about the acupuncture experience. It was very good for Jim, who was a very anxious dog but did well with the needles. I'd like to try it for Jack, who has a lot of arthritic pain but can't take a high dose of Metacam because of stomach issues. Unfortunately, I think he'd freak out completely... and if they do, it simply isn't worth it.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Thanks for the good wishes! Much appreciated!

And the original "episode" I wrote about above, when all 4 legs were trembling, was a one time thing, so far and hope it stays that way.

So glad to hear he is itching less! Give him a big smooch from me, please.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.