New Heart Murmur After Dog Bite

Guest IzzysMom

Guest IzzysMom

Last Sunday Izzy was bitten by a boxer on his inner back leg. He bled profusely and received several stitches at the emergency vetinary hospital. We went and saw his regular vet on Tuesday and she was concerned about swelling to the leg, and instructed me to keep an eye on it. The swelling did not go down much so we went back yesterday afternoon. By the time we got there, the swelling had reduced greatly since the morning. At the end of the appointment, she checked his heart as part of the usual routine. She quickly noticed a heart murmur on both the left and right sides. He has never had a heart murmur before, including his visit to the emergency hospital on Sunday and his visit to her on Tuesday.

His regular vet sent him for an eccocardiogram this morning with the suspicion that it was endocardytis. (Infection from the bite wound moving to the heart.) The tests that were run this morning show damage to his mitro valve and the valve with the same function on the other side. They were not definitive for endocardytis, so we did four blood draws and a urine draw to test for a variety of bacterias. In the meantime, Izzy has been placed on two different antibiotics to fight the potential bacterias.

Does anyone have experience with and advice for anything like this? Of course we are watching him closely for signs of further damage. He was on 1000 mg of Clavamax for the bite wound.

Sorry for the misspellings, but as you can tell, I am not in the medical field. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Guest boondog

Oh, no! I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and Izzy. You know how I feel about that big brindle boy! Please don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything at all.

OMG. :eek I hope his heart is okay. :( Sending loads of prayers and light to your Izzy. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm no expert, but I can't imagine an infection causing heart damage in just a couple of days. Sunday to Tuesday you're talking, right? With no sign of infection at all?

I'm so sorry, and hope it turns out well!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have not heard of it in a dog but have taken care of plenty of patients in the hospital with it. Since he has been on antibiotics for a few days his blood cultures may come up negative anyway. However, the echo may show if he has any vegetation which would be indicative of endocarditis. You may never know if this was just from the bite or if he had an underlying infection before the bite. The best thing now is to be proactive and treat was it is right now.

Endocarditis is an infection and can be treated. He needs to be on antibiotics and rested.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I agree with Kamsmom - I don't believe it would be possible for an infection from a bite to spread and cause vegitation on the heart valves that quickly (2 days). I would suspect a previous infection (bad teeth? previous bite or scrape?) also.

Cathy, Van & Monita (and angels Kimmie and Dagger)

Guest greytkidsmom

Kamsmom is right, if the blood cultures were drawn after the antibiotic was started, they could be negative.

Severe anemia can also cause a murmur - you mentioned that there was a lot of blood lost. Of course, endocarditis is the most life-threatening so the right thing to do is to treat it as such until you can prove otherwise.

Fingers crossed for a benign diagnosis and quick recovery...

If it was my dog, I'd give him time to heal from whatever wound he sustained and recheck him when he's healthy. If he was healthy before the incident, and has been on antibiotics soon after, I'd wait and see before attempting any further diagnostics. Of course, I'm no vet, and this is JMO.

Lynn

Edited by LynnM

Guest IzzysMom

Good news! :colgate Izzy and I spent the day at the Greyhound Health and Wellness clinic at Ohio State. Dr. Guillermo Couto had another echocardiogram done on Izzy and he definitely does not have endocardosis! He does have degenerative heart disease in both his mitral valve and his tricuspid valve. Dr. Couto said Izzy is the first greyhound he has ever seen with tricuspid damage, but that it is clearly degenerative and treatable. He believes it was discovered now because the trauma and pain of the dog bite caused Izzy's blood pressure to rise which made the heart murmur more distinct.

I know heart disease doesn't sound like a good diagnosis, but considering the alternative, it is much better. We can treat this and hopefully Izzy will have a good long life. (He is almost six.)

I met several other greyhound owners in the waiting room, and I can't say enough good things about this program. If you are anywhere near Columbus, Ohio and your grey needs medical treatment, I highly recommend this program.

Sorry, I posted too fast. Thank you everyone for your well wishes! It has been a long week, but everyone's support made it easier.

Good news! :colgate Izzy and I spent the day at the Greyhound Health and Wellness clinic at Ohio State. Dr. Guillermo Couto had another echocardiogram done on Izzy and he definitely does not have endocardosis! He does have degenerative heart disease in both his mitral valve and his tricuspid valve. Dr. Couto said Izzy is the first greyhound he has ever seen with tricuspid damage, but that it is clearly degenerative and treatable. He believes it was discovered now because the trauma and pain of the dog bite caused Izzy's blood pressure to rise which made the heart murmur more distinct.

I know heart disease doesn't sound like a good diagnosis, but considering the alternative, it is much better. We can treat this and hopefully Izzy will have a good long life. (He is almost six.)

I met several other greyhound owners in the waiting room, and I can't say enough good things about this program. If you are anywhere near Columbus, Ohio and your grey needs medical treatment, I highly recommend this program.

Sorry, I posted too fast. Thank you everyone for your well wishes! It has been a long week, but everyone's support made it easier.

How did I miss you? I was at OSU all day yesterday too! I was the lady by the door entry crocheting madly! A friend was there yesterday also with her hound who had developed a murmur after a dog attack.