Shedding Like Mad!

Guest vtmom

Help! My family is drowning in a sea of dog hair. Sometimes it seems like we are breathing hair instead of air in this house. It is totally gross. My white male is shedding terribly. You would not believe the amount of hair I vacuum up each day in my little sweeper vac. The fliter is clogged with it after cleaning one floor. The beds are matted with his hair (I know it is his because he is pure white and my otehr grey is fawn and she is not shedding). There is hair on everything and it is even clogging up the a/c intakes! I am a person who LOVES animals but I feel grossed out if I go into a home and there is pet hair on everything, it just feels dirty. Right now my house is like that. I even have had to clean hair off my toaster. Finding a layer of white dog hair on your black toaster is nasty!

I fear my dog is going bald. I brushed him Tiesday and I am going to do it again in a few minutes but it is a never ending task. So here is my list of questions about this.....

1. is there a medical problem that could cause this shedding?

2. could a change in dog food cause this, when we moved there was no place close to purchase their normal food (california natural) so we had to find a new brand. We recently settled on Kirkland.

3. can I give him anything to help him not to shed?

4. can a change in climate cause this? we moved from Vermont to Florida a couple months ago.

5. can anyone suggest a dusting product or method that will not whip the hair up into the air and make it worse.

Oh and my family and this big goofball thank you for your suggestions

HPIM1231.jpg

Guest Greensleeves

Yes, it could be a medical condition, but chances are it's your weather. We had a crazy bad shedding season here this past spring. I kept asking my vet about it, and he just nodded and said, "It's everybody."

If you've recently changed to a higher quality food, you can get coat changes. However, if you're truly concerned, your vet can do a thyroid test, as that can cause unusual shedding.

My vets recommend the Furminator brush, which I think might be a little harsh for the skin of a greyhound, although my coonhounds love it. Really, though, we control everything with a really good vacuum (I'm not sure what a "little sweeper vac" is, but it doesn't sound very powerful). We have a Hoover Wind Tunnel that's been going strong for 7 years now. I know other pet owners like their Dysons. Really, if pet hair is a problem, you need a really good vacuum. Some dogs (even greys) just shed.

We cover all furniture with slipcovers *plus* blankets, and try to wash the blankets weekly, and the slipcovers when they get untenable.

Guest ChancesMom

I may not have quite the shedding problem that you do but it is pretty close. Every time that I pet Chance gobs of hair comes out. I, too, wonder what has kept him from going bald. I brush at least once a day. He has had his thyroid checked and it was ok and I started him on the Omega Fatty Acids 2 or 3 weeks ago. He is white and brindle. All of his lab work is ok so I don't know what it is either. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

For the last 2 months, I've brushed Jet almost daily. Outside when I can or inside next to the vacuum when the weather doesn't allow outside.

We are finally at the point that the shedding is starting to drop and if I miss a day, hair doesn't just jump off her when she blinks or exhales.

She's blowing her coat.

So yes, it could be medical, but it is most likely just a seasonal shedding.

It's most likely the time of year. Zema has always shed both spring and fall. She isn't shedding humongous amounts right now but it is a lot for her. Don't recall if Joseph did it last year; he isn't doing it right now. Batman also shed both spring and fall.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tobinhr

Put me square in the shedding club!

I have been using a Furminator and I am amazed at the hair coming off Mac. Apparently, there are other Iowan greys shedding like mad too. Maybe it means its going to be a mild winter? <_< Can I HOPE? :P

Jan

Mac, he of the blowing hair

At least we are in good company! I know about the hair flying when the hound blinks or exhales, it is crazy. If you walk over near their beds or touch the curtains that hang in the window near their beds you choke on hair. It is like a snow storm!

I'm guessing seasonal. I have a Greyhound who should be bald, and three Borzoi in the house right now. All shedding like mad (although, I think Cooper is almost done, and he does feel bald! I've never seen him with so little coat!).

I think what makes such a big difference is our climate. No, Greyhounds are not double-coated, but they do grow more hair in winter, I don't care what others say! Naples has a very thick coat for a Grey, which also means she has thicker skin, though! And when she blows coat, she goes NUTS!

*ETA: By the way, there is lots of anectotal evidence to suggest that white Greys shed more!

And if you are interested in a good skin/coat supplement, check out Hair of the Dog, link in my siggy!

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Greensleeves
No, Greyhounds are not double-coated, but they do grow more hair in winter, I don't care what others say!

I think double-coated actually means *less* shedding--or, at least, it stays on the dog better! :lol

Ryan gets brushed just so he doesn't feel left out. He doesn't really shed anymore.

Used to be the other way around... white hair everywhere and no Jet hair to be found.

The last few years Jet sheds enough for us to build 4-5 more greyhounds and Ryan hangs on tight to what hair he has - he's rather naked to start.

No, Greyhounds are not double-coated, but they do grow more hair in winter, I don't care what others say!

I think double-coated actually means *less* shedding--or, at least, it stays on the dog better! :lol

Nope! Not on my double-coated beasties, anyway! We just have LONGER hairs all over...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest emmas_mom

Good.... I thought Emma was the only one shedding hair in piles big enough to mistaken for small dogs. She pants and cascades of hair flow off her and fly around the room. I just started using the Firminator on her. I gently glide it over her and she enjoys it. I'm just really careful with her belly and underside in general but it's been okay. I try not to stay on the same spot too long to keep from irritating her skin. I'm amazed what I'm brushing off of her. I'm pretty sure I could spin some dog hair into a coat for her in the winter..... :)

I should have taken a picture of the PILE of dog hair I got off Brady today. I swept it out into the driveway to blow away for birds to use in their nests. I am not sure it is nest building season but oh well that was easier than getting it into my little dustpan.

We had that problem here last month. Bell was kicking off enough fur to stuff another dog bed! I have been using the Furminator on her every other day, and added an additional fish oil capsule to her food so she gets one every morning and one every evening. Between the two the shedding has definitely improved, though I am still filling up the Dyson canister every week.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

Ah, shedding! At one point we had four English Setters. You want to talk shedding! Their fur is long and silky, but when it falls out it forms fur tumbleweeds!

George has fur everywhere he should, but his coat is so think you can see his skin! When I got him he had HORRIBLE dandruff, but I've been giving him omega fatty acid supplements since I got him, and the dandruff is gone, his coat is so shiny you wouldn't believe it. He doesn't have any more hair, but his skin is much healthier!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Sweeping & dusting pick up some hair, but spread a lot around and miss a lot, too. The ultimate answer is vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Vacuum the floor. Vacuum the furniture & tables. Just vacuum everything! I have a dyson, which "sucks" really well, but it's pretty cumbersome with the hand-held attachments, so I supplemented with a Shark bagless lightweight vacuum. Sucks up very well, too, but the cup is small & needs to be emptied after a couple of minutes.

All mine are shedding much more than usual lately, but Henderson (corgi) is out of control. I brush him, furminate him, etc., etc., but the hair just keeps on coming. And he's brown & white, so it shows up on whichever surface it's on. :P All the greyhounds and cats I've ever had all rolled together haven't generated as much hair as this one little corgi! (They TOLD me corgis shed a lot, and they really meant it! :P )

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Doc's shedding (or moulting as we would say in the UK, here shedding is for snakes!) too. This started about three weeks ago, earlier than usual, I'm sure because of all the horrible wet cold weather we've been having - other locals have said it's the same for their dogs.

My tips would be to groom your dog every day for the time being, and to groom him outside. Even so you'll probably end up doing more vacuuming than usual!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest rubysdad

Ruby shedded terrible and the vet could not find a medical reason. About a year later we found she had kidney disease. No one could tell us if the two were related.

Guest charmsmom

The white greys I've seen DO tend to shed more, and I've seen a lot of them at the kennel. You moved from a cool climate to a VERY warm one, so it's probably the temp change in addition to stress from relocation. With any luck, he'll be done soon since it's been a couple of months.

Guest GreyGal97

I've used BioCoat for years with my Greys and it's wonderful! Available through KVVet.com The powder is added to each meal and my gals love it. May take several weeks to see results in severe cases. For grooming I use a rubber curry mit and finish with a dandy-type brush.

I'd also advise having bloodwork done asap, especially thyroid levels.

Best Regards,

Jean