Yikes, We Had A Scuffle

Guest Carla

Wednesday night I was sitting here at the computer with Barney and Mickey lying down on the beds behind me. All of a sudden I heard them fighting and I let out the VOICE OF GOD screaming at them. Fortunately I scared the wits out of them and they stopped. Mickey got Barney on his shoulder and on his ear.

I cleaned Barney's wounds and put gobs of antibiotic cream on them and then put a t shirt on Barney. I called the vet's and they called me back. I explained what happened and what I did and she said as long as it wasn't bleeding we would be ok till Thursday. I took Barney in on Thursday and she put 15 staples in his shoulder and 3 in his ear.

It was one of the most frightening moments of my life. I have had male greyhounds since 1992 and in 1993 I've always had at least 2 males in the house. I have never had a problem with the males getting along with each other.

They are acting fine towards each other now and I pray that this is the last of the disagreements.

I'm attaching pictures -- Dr. A is a miracle worker!

post-7201-1220666254_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carla

Well your vet did a nice repair job. Hopefully that will be the last of the disagreement in your home. I've found that after a tussle, the two who had the disagreement are very cautious with each other for a while but then things get back to normal.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Poor Baby, they may have never claimed their pack order, I bet that was scary. It looks like the vet did a Great Job! :bighug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Maybe one of them startled the other? :dunno We've had some griping here because someone startled someone else, but thankfully no one has ever been injured.

Your vet did a VERY nice job!

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Carla I'm so sorry this happened -how scary and unexpected. :( It could have been anything, even though they haven't been together for a terribly long time, that may not even be a variable in this. I'm sure dogs have misunderstandings like humans do. Thank goodness Barney will be ok and that you were there. We're sending lots of healing thoughts from our home to yours. :grouphug

Take care!!

Maria

That is scary Carla, and it's amazing how quickly things can escalate, it's good you were right there. Hopefully this was just a one time "misunderstanding" between brothers and all will be well from here on out!

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Oh no! I am so sorry. I agree your vet did a very nice job. Ok boys...NO more! :grouphug Hugs to all.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Wow Carla,

That is scary. I hope everything settles down and is restored to peace.

many scritches and hugs to you and your gang.

kerri

It looks like your vet did a really nice job. It's really fortunate you were home. :grouphug

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Hey Carla. I am sorry this happened. I think they will be fine now. Your vet did a great job and I'll bet there won't be any scars either. See you soon!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh, Carla! I'm so sorry this happened! It really was so fortunate that you were right there. I can just envision your Human Scream of Death. :lol I think the boys had their first real CTJ moment. :P

I hope Barney's doing OK and heals quickly. Your vet did a great repair.

It was probably just a fast, unpredictable reaction to maybe a subtle change in body language, which quickly escalated. And with the two of them still getting established, they were working out, in their own doggie way, their pecking order.

A little less pecking would be OK, too. :lol:

Hugs to the boys, and to you!

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg