Question About Sedation

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Soul spilt a nail again and it was BAD. He was in so much pain. The vet wanted to give him a shot to put him under, then another to bring him back up after the toenail removal was finished. Prolly an hour total from "under" to "up" Has anyone heard of this? Is it risky?

The ER vet did this for our Angel Sophia when she somehow got a very large laceration on the under side of her tongue. It worked beautifully. When they finished suturing her up they had us come back so that we could see how big it was...they gently lifted her to the floor and placed her on a bed and told us in 10 minutes she would be ready to leave. I'm like yeah right...she was snowed! In five minutes she was on her feet wagging her tail and ready to leave. It worked greyt for us. :) Sending my prayers...feel better soon sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

We used this on my Angel Molly a number of times...dentals, laceration, etc. It was nice not having a groggy dog to take home. If you want to PM me I can give you more information.

She will feel a lot better with that torn nail gone.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest SoulsMom

Well, because this wasn't my regular vet . . .and because I'd never heard of the procedure before, I opted not to go for it . . . .Poor Soul had to have his toenail cut down under local. He gave the GSOD, but it was quick. He's now all wrapped up and on pain meds, but I was just too nervous to risk it. He's already "iffy" health wise with his DL, so I was nervous about what the two shots would do. I guess now I'm second guessing myself, for putting my baby through pain when it could have been prevented. But I didn't have my GTR's there with me and I had to decide :( I remember kissing his head in the vets office and saying "Monkey, I don't want you to hurt but I don't want to kill you either". Guess now I know for the future . . . .Poor Soul, he was a trooper and still giving kisses as they wrapped his foot up.

Glad he is doing ok, sometimes quicker is better when dealing with a torn nail.

Sorry Soul I typed she in my first post. I know you are the Soul Man.

Edited by GreyKarma

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest Kitty_cat

I think the drug you are referring to is Propofol. From what I've heard it's considered very safe in greyhounds. There was a vet on this forum that wrote up a manual regarding greyhound health matters, maybe this is mentioned in his manual, don't know where to find it though...

Glad your pooch is doing better :rolleyes:

Guest LindsaySF

It is usually pretty safe and generally well-tolerated. We did have one dog at the vet where I worked have a serious reaction to it though (super high temp, brain damage), and he died. :(

You don't want to leave them under for too long, or do stuff near the mouth (dentals, etc) without that breathing tube in there like you have under general. But for wound stitching it is usually fine.

ETA: When Teagan had a wound I requested no sedation. He gave a few yelps, but was mostly still and allowed them to staple it. Unless sedation is absolutely necessary, a little pain won't hurt them. Most vets only sedate when they aren't able to physically handle the animal due to aggressiveness, etc.

Edited by LindsaySF

There are two anesthetics (these are the common ones, anyhow) that work the way you describe... Rompun/Yohimbine and Domitor/Antisedan. Both work and are safe. Louis takes a ride any time he has anything more invasive than a nail trim (weenie) and aside from having a clear route to the door as soon as he has his feet under him, no problems. He always has to take a dump when he wakes up, even if he just went before the procedure.

Both can cause nausea, Domitor/Antisedan, in particular. In animals that are particularly excited, I've seen Domitor not work and the animal still put up a pretty good fight. I've never had that experience with Rompun, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen.

Lynn

I think following your gut is always the right thing to do. My Sam had to have stitches and the vet followed the exact protocol he always does for greyhounds--however, he had an exceptionally difficult time waking him up. I got there at the prescribed time to pick him up, they took me back, and I met with the vet--he thought Sam was waking, but he had passed back out. It was the only time I can recall seeing panic in the big man's face. Thankfully, we got him moving and going eventually...but it was scary.

You never know, and its all done now! Hugs to Soul and mom. :)

Guest Dillymom

Poor Soul. I know you're feeling bad and thinking you made the wrong choice but you shouldn't. He's alive and recooping now. If something had happened when sedated you would have never forgiven yourself. You know your baby best and it's always good policy to go with your gut feeling.

Give that silly monkey some whippy and lots of hugs. :bighug

Amber, years ago when Troy slashed his paws badly in ice, he had to have stitches. That was done under local (didn't even so much as flinch). If a procedure can be done in the least invasive manner, it may be the way to go. Glad he's ok.

Maybe Lynn can answer this - wouldn't propofol be more appropriate for this type of situation. My understanding was propofol isn't the first one to use in surgeries b/c it doesn't last long enough/constantly has to be readministered, but it seems it would be perfect for something like this. I would opt for that over dormitor, which both my grey and more recently my foster had issues with.

ETA: Either way, I would have done the same thing you did Soulsmom. I actually insisted on a local only when Neyla had to have her ear stitched up after she was attacked. She's missing part of her ear now. :( Anyway, I already knew at that point that she had a problem with anesthesia so I didn't see the point in risking it. The exception would be something that was time-consuming or was close to an eye, or with a dog that wouldn't stand still.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."