Does Anyone Else Get Paranoid.

Guest greyscot

Guest MitchsMom
It seems it's just an example of how fragile life can be. We've all read up on our precious babies because of our interest in this unique and beautiful breed. We all know the common illnesses this breed is susceptable to and prepare ourselves for them. How many of you have felt after falling in love with our greyhounds that sometimes it feels like the doctor has given our babies a ""few years to live and time seems to tick away when they become seniors. It's so unfair. But God has his reasons I suppose. I think it's just fine to be alert. We're that way with our children too.

I've had many dogs over the years, greys for 10 years but I don't think you can get over the worry. "Tennesseegrey" speaks from my heart as well. You love them every second you can, let them know how cherished they are and pray for time. I have lost one grey to heart problems, two to osteo; one mis-diagnosed for months, and the other with "hospice" end stage care so we could have every minute until life wasn't fun anymore. We just have to focus on "see the cup half full." They give so much to our lives!

I'm TRYING not to be paranoid..Esp. after yesterday..

I brought in a new foster and all 3 of my girls wanted to see and sniff and play with her.Well, you try puting 4 greys in a space that is about 3 feet wide and 5 feet long.. :lol In all the pushing and shoving, Bijou my 9 year old got her hip banged and I got the GSOD and ever since last night she lays down but when she gets up more GSOD, but she walks ok.

I've been feeling and found the area where she is most sore and have been massaging it and spoiling her more. I'd hate to rush to the vet to hear "oh she just bruised her hip a bit, she should be fine in a few days....that will me $100 please.. :lol

I am not going to be heartless, if she is still sore and grouchy tomorrow I will then take her to the vet. just to make sure.

But still I have that paranoid feeling even to the point of sleeping on the floor next to her last night..

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

I'm paranoid. I don't run to the vet constantly but I work in human health care so I know stuff, which is both a blessing AND the world's biggest curse. The IggyMonster has every health problem in the Iggy Owners Manual so every time she goes off a little bit I start to worry -- does it Mean something? 95% of the time she's fine, sometimes she's not. I worry that she may not be here as long as a "normal" IG but then that's out of my hands. She'll be here for as long as she's been sent for, just like all of them, no matter how much I worry.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest Greyglo

Not sure paranoid is the word I'd use but I do watch them like a hawk! When broken hock girl, nine months post-surgery seems more uncomfortable than usual, when heart murmur girl pants and no one else is panting, when the food motivated 12.5 girl doesn't want a cookie or when the 49 pounder with more energy than a hound should have becomes subdued, it's hard to ignore. I just want them to be healthy, feel good and live forever.

You are definitely not alone. I am completely paranoid about my girl. I examine her every time we cuddle. I lost my first girl to oseteo so I watch for limps and listen for her nails scratching the ground in a dragging way when walking. But I remind myself that I left home one morning with a seemingly healthy, and happy girl, and I lost her that afternoon to status. Losing Morgaine that way tore me apart even though there wasn't a thing I could have done differently and my vet and my own doctor assured me that there was no way to predict what happened. I try to remember that I had Scarlett until she was 19 and that there is a decent chance that with lots of love and good medical care, there is no reason not to hope for the same with Aquitaine.

Guest greyscot

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one :lol . I agree with LuvAPuppy that knowing stuff is both a blessing and a curse. My training is in human biology so I also 'know stuff' which I'm sure makes me more neurotic because I can envisage the worst possible outcome of just about any symptom. :wacko: I do try to trust my instincts but I know I do err on the side of caution - it's just the person I am. I don't even want to think about what I could have saved in vets fees if I was not such a panic merchant.

Guest paulamariez

Add me to the list of paranoid greyhound moms. I joke when I walk into my vet's office that I need a standing weekly appointment, because it seems like I'm always there for something. Last week I had to take all three boys in for rabies booster shots (even though they were current), because we were all exposed to rabies. I woke up with a bat flying around our bedroom at 2:00am. Dept. of Health said everyone needed rabies vaccines in the room because the bat could bite the hounds and we would never know. I told my vet we must be her best customers and she did not deny it!

I have often found that my "paranoia" is absolutely right. When I get a bad feeling about something, it's time to go to the vet.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

After having been involved in rescue for almost 6 years now, I've seen a lot of things and dealt with a lot of things (I used to help with all the medical stuff back when I had time), so I'm not off to the vet for just any little thing, but, if someone's banged themself up, I make an appointment to have a chiropractic adjustment. If someone's been limping/walking funny/favoring a body part for 3 days or more, I'll take them in.

Thankfully with wound care, there are a lot of things I can do myself. However, I am very glad that I took Pinky to the ER when she scalped the backside of her front leg. There was a lot of microscopic debris in there that I never would have seen, plus she needed stitches.

I have a doggie medical bucket here...various kinds of scissors (suture removal scissors, bandage scissors, regular scissors, little pointy tip scissors), staple remover, gauze, Kling, Vet Wrap, silvadene, EMT gel, triple antibiotic ointment, Hibiclens. It's nice that I know how to do stuff like remove sutures/staples (I can also DO some stapling, but I'd leave suturing to the vet since I don't have the proper equipment for that) and change bandages, because that eliminates the need to go to the vet to have those "maintenance" things done after the initial visit for the original injury. After Pinky's ER visit, our regular vet called to say, "we heard about Pinky, call us if you need anything but we know you can take her sutures out yourself" :lol

I can tell you that I do get paranoid thoughts sometimes though...and I usually post here when I'm worried, helps me get it out and calm the worries :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

My family (husband and three sons) all say I am "over the top" when it comes to worrying about my dogs....too bad I tell them. Most of the time, my instincts are right when I think there is something wrong. Just like a mother knowing when her child is sick.

The only time I waited to take one of my dogs to the vet when I thought she should be there...based on my husband insisting that I was looking for problems and that she was fine...I came home from work to find her paralyzed in the hallway and the other one trying to push her up. After many tests we found out she had a tumor in her spine and had to put her down. Had I listened to myself..she wouldn't have had to suffer like that. you are not alone.

Guest valtoy

Yep...I'm so paranoid and anxious, I'm am drinking more! My Ham just had his left front leg removed for bone cancer on August 6th. He is doing well. I'm a wreck. I worry that something will happen to his right good front leg that he needs to hop on. I watch every step he takes, worrying, he can't get anything in his paw, can't get a cut or step on anything sharp. What if he falls down....arghhhhhh....He wants to take longer walks and I'm letting him but I'm watching his every step. He also like to jump up on the ramp I had built to the back door, rather than walking to the end and going up....grrrrr. freaks me out. I don't think I will ever stop worrying about him now, and he seems to want to try to live a normal life.

Valerie

Guest PiagetsMom

I try very hard not to be paranoid and to assume the worst over every little thing......I don't think the vet rolls their eyes when they hear from me yet! :D That being said, I'm sure I drive my DH crazy at times!