Spay Incontinence

Guest celticfairiemom

Guest celticfairiemom

Does anyone know anything about this? Callie has had some issues with peeing in the house and seeming to be unaware that she has done it. She will get up from her bed and it will be wet where her back end was. She can be standing near one of the other girls and will just suddenly be "leaking" on them. I took a urine sample to the vet and he has ruled out a bladder infection and a UTI. he says there are a few other tests to wait for but he is leaning towards spay incontinence. He doesn't want to start treatment until he is sure because he says the treatment won't work for anything else and if it's not a necessity than he doesn't want her having started it.

Does anyone know anything about it? Thanks for any help you can give us.

Rainey has spay incontinence. We first noticed wet spots on the dog bed, then after 2 accidents in our bed :o we ruled out a UTI -- she's been on DES (an estrogen replacement?) since then -- 1 pill every 5 days (with blood checks every 5 months or so) -- no more problems.

sending hugs to you and your girl! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Apparently this is fairly commom in older spayed females. My angel Winnie had it, and it embarrassed the heck out of her. She was on the phenolproponalamine (whew! I think that's how you spell it). Proin. There have been some dogs who have had side effects from it, but Winnie took it every day for about 4 years, and it took care of her "leakage".

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest celticfairiemom

Thanks Kim and Nancy. He mentioned DES as being the treatment he will give her. Callie just turned 5 and he did mention he thought she was a bit young for it *but it's not totally unheard of. She doesn't have the episodes often but she does have them - and it's just her. It took us a while to figure out who was doing it - until the day Callie got up and she was soaked from laying in it - and very confused as to why she was wet.

Before starting the DES, you might ask your vet about a course of antibiotics first -- treat her as if she has a UTI even tho nothing is showing up. Solve the problem more often than not.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We were having similar problems with Cleo. She had just finished a course of antibiotics for an UTI and her follow-up test was clean but she continued to lick (obsessively) and her bed would have damp patches when she got up. We did another urine test and it came back clean again. Our vet recommended "hormone therapy" (I can't remember the name). She took one pill once a day for three days and now it's once a week. Seems to have done the trick with no side effects.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Hi,

If you go to the first page of this forum and type incontinence in the "enter keywords" box next to "search topic", you'll get lots of hits on this subject; I got 5 pages worth when I tried it. As you'll see, it's a pretty common occurrence, unfortunately.

If I were you I'd stay away from Proin or ppa. If you read through there you'll see why. I've given them but I'd opt for DES the next time. We had big troubles with the Proin/ppa.

Marcia in SC

Guest celticfairiemom

update:

Callie has a bladder infection. The vet called me this morning to let me know they got the lab results and there was bacteria in the sample gave them. She is on amoxicillen for 2 weeks. Thanks everyone for the advice on the spay incontinence