Trouble Getting An Iv?

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

I mentioned this in Nelly's kidney thread, but DH wanted me to ask it specifically.

Nelly was supposed to have three days of IV therapy starting today, but they sent her home with sub-cutaneous fluids instead, because they couldn't get an IV to work. Now, she's had IVs several times before (for surgeries, etc)--given by these very same people--so this is really unusual, I gather. First, they couldn't get a good enough vein, and then when they did manage to get a vein, her blood clotted "too quickly" and clogged the catheter! Doc said that the sub-cu fluids should rehydrate her and make her veins a little easier to work with, but DH has all these questions about this that I can't answer. Doc made it a point to tell me that the vein/clotting thing had absolutely nothing to do with the kidney problems, "this is just how Nelly is."

Anyone ever hear of anything like this before?

Thanks!

I know with humans, dehydration can make it really hard to find a vein. Did they suggest why she might be dehydrated?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

that's what I was going to say, too...I know when you give blood, things go much easier if you drink water first. she must be really dehydrated...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Your vet is correct. The clotting issue is due to the dehydration and had nothing to do with her kidney problem. Rehydrate her for a good 24 hours and then try again. The hydration will also be beneficial for her kidneys.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Hypovolemia makes it difficult to grab a vein. The lower blood pressure that accompanies this decreased circulating volume just adds insult when trying to canulate a vein. Tanking them up with Sub Q fluids will not only increase the circulating volume, increase the blood pressure and make it much easier to start the IV.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest Greensleeves

Thanks, guys! That makes a lot of sense. I'm sure she was dehydrated b/c her last sub-cu fluids were on Friday.

DH and I appreciate the information!

I didn't know any of this; thanks for the info!

When vets have trouble just drawing blood -- sometimes the dog screams! -- they say, oh, he has a blown vein. I don't know if this is the same thing as dehydrated or not. Does anyone know?

Marcia in SC