Please Tell Me How They Neuter A Male

Sounds to me like he's a male trying to justify not neutering his male dogs. Typical anthropomophization.

For chrissake, they *do* anaesthesize the dog first!

WOW...Wasn't expecting that....Not even sure this thread deserved that....probably why I don't post many questions here anymore unless it is just a yes or no...kinda thing...... :huh

Maybe I over-reacted. I of course know that they use anestesia, as does he, but he was dead serious in the way he described it. He is 100% behind neutering, (his are neutered and spayed), but he was acting so shocked at the WAY it was done...

It is hard to explain how it was explained to him...but it was a little freaky sounding and I just wanted to make sure no "parts" were pulled until a pop sound and then just cut out. Made it sound like when you are cutting a whole chicken, and you are trying to cut at the joint and you "break" it..to cut thru the bone.

I don't think that was aimed at you. I think it was aimed at the guy who it appeared was trying to justify keeping his dogs intact. Obviously it was a mistaken assumption, but I don't think it was a slap at you. Just my opinion.

I never thought much about it. I thought they just cut them off.

My DH just passed out. :rofl

Got my fingers typing to fast and left out a word: He could never understand the way that they are done....sorry for the confusion.

As for the word anthropomophization not sure how it fits here, but I am not a scholar: And I took offence to the way it was said

"for christsakes..." Made me think of someone yelling at me......Sorry I am human. I was a little embarrised about this whole thread...won't even show him...I told him how they would all make him feel better about it and it turns ugly...

Greyhoundlady....thats what he felt like :eek:lol

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Guest luckydog
Got my fingers typing to fast and left out a word: He could never understand the way that they are done....sorry for the confusion.

As for the word anthropomophization not sure how it fits here, but I am not a scholar: And I took offence to the way it was said

"for christsakes..." Made me think of someone yelling at me......Sorry I am human. I was a little embarrised about this whole thread...won't even show him...I told him how they would all make him feel better about it and it turns ugly...

Sorry about the misunderstanding. My post wasn't aimed at you, but at males who are grossed out by male animals being neutered in general. Frankly, you rarely hear a female express reservations about a female animal being spayed (at least the surgical part of it).

Some males seem to take neutering personally, as if neutering the animal somehow neuters them also--this is where the anthropomorphization comes into play.

Guest MAXNAV
Sounds to me like he's a male trying to justify not neutering his male dogs. Typical anthropomophization.

For chrissake, they *do* anaesthesize the dog first!

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's a male thing.

I made Kevin take Aggadore to the Vet when the cat needed PU sugery. :rofl :rofl :rofl

My cat had that surgery! Everytime I tell a guy about it, he cringes. And I laugh. :P

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Well, if he thinks neutering dogs is bad he should watch a horse get gelded sometime. I witnessed a vet do this to a young colt at a barn I used to board at. She sedated the colt (not full anesthesia), laid him on the grass and then proceeded to yank his nuts out. Once she was done, the colt stood back up. It was pretty horrific to watch... makes me glad I have a mare.

Looked like this... gelding.

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest KennelMom

Ever seen knee surgery in a human? I nearly passed out when I was a nursing student and had to watch one. Brutal. Thank doG for anesthesia, that's all I have to say!

Guest sheila

anthropomorphization

–verb (used with object), verb (used without object), -phized, -phiz·ing.

to ascribe human form or attributes to (an animal, plant, material object, etc.).

It basically means humanizing something that is not a human being.

As far as anesthesia for humans go, I've had it both ways and I will take no anesthesia hands down over being put under. Last time I went under the knife I was awake and alert and joking with the surgeon and the staff during the procedure.

Guest rosebudd

My husband empathizes with Leo and his hanging skin, as my husband was snipped as well :devil . Come to think of it they are both lazy bums that sleep all day and lay around the house :blink: .

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

Oh geeze you guys, y'all have me rolling laughing here!

The way livestock are gelded VS a dog and cat are very different. I've assisted in too many surgeries that the vet has threatened to just let me do it so she wouldn't have to.

The dog first has thier leg shaved and cleaned off. Then an assistant holds the dog and the vein off while the tech inserts the catheter. Once in, the vet anethsetizes the dog. When the dog is loopy enough, they have a traeche tube inserted down thier throat and tied off at the top of thier mouth. They are QUICKLY turned over on thier side and laid on a warming blanket/warming pad. While the tech is hooking up the IV and fluids to the catheter, starting the dopplar heart monitor, and the blood pressure cuff AND inserting a tube down the throat next to the traeche tube so that they can manually listen to the heart and breathing..... the assistant is putting an antibiotic lube in the dogs' eye to keep them moist, then shaving the male dogs testicals, sheath, and area around the genetalia. Once shaved, it is cleaned off with a surgical scrub. After scrubbed clean, the area is wiped clean with a chlorahexaderm type solution to get it as sterile as possible.

From here, some clinics transport the dog from the treatment room to the surgical room, but some clinics have the pets prepared in the Sx room.

Once IN the Sx room and all vitals are recorded (which is done religiously every 4 minutes), the vet has been scrubbing and dressing for Sx. Lights have bene put in position, and the Surgical pack has been made ready for the vet.

The vet first takes a scaple and cuts open one line, about two inches??? long at the base of the sheath where the testicals first start to drop down. One of the testicals is pushed down into position just over the opening. They are still inside two pouches. THe first one is sliced open to reveal the next one. At this point, the second pouch can be pushed out of the opening. The second pouch is also sliced open to reveal the actual testicle. The second pouch is pushed to the base of the testical where it is connected to the body by a large blood vessle. A "carmalt" (certain type of hemostat) is clamped onto the large vessle, with another hemostat clamped between the carmalt and the testical. The vet then takes the stiching of choice... our vet uses catgut. The vessle is stitched up and tied off. Once one, the vet uses the scapel to slice the vessle between the stitching and the hemostat so that the testical is removed with the hemostat still in place to keep the vessle closed. Then the carmalt is taken off and the vessle slides back into the body.

The same is done for the other testicle.

During this entire time, the tech is taking all vital signs during the surgery. The tech records temperature, heart rate, breathing, gum color, systolic measurements, etc...... and alerts the vet should something become unusual in the slightest. Should the dog start to urinate or deficate, an assistant is standing dearby to immediately clean up teh mess with sterilized towels.

Once done with both testicals, the vet uses the vicryl to sew the opening shut. Once done most vets use a surgical glue to secure the area together to make sure it stays shut and helps aid in healing.

When the vet declairs the animal is done, next comes the other flury of movement from the tech and assistant. The gas is shut off, but the oxygen left on. Antibiotic injection and pain killers are readied (they have a pain killer prior to surgery and another small dose afterwards) while the assistant uses peroxide or another cleaner to clean off any blood from the area and sterilize it again. The tech gives any injections needed, and the assistant trims toenails if needed.

The dog is carefully watched until he starts to blink or swallow. Upon that time, the oxygen is shut off, the traech tube slowly and carefully removed, and the dog is moved to a cage lined with a few warmed towels. Temp is taken again once inside the cage, and recorded again. The pet is then under a "hawk eye" for another two hours or more while waking up from anestesia. Here, they can wake up and want to run. They'll wake up and be groggy. They'll wake up and look stoned. Greyhounds? they often wake up and scream bloody murder as though they've been beaten to death and survived. This is always a problem to wake up and raise the bloodpressure like this, so they are calmed as much as possible. Some Greyhounds stay so groggy they have to be reminded consistantly to keep waking up out of the anestesia - which is why they are so highly monitored during this time.

Now this is a scenario of EVERYTHING going right.

Add to this finding somethign wrong with the dog, the dog's heart stop, the dog goes into seizures, the dog stops breathing, etc......... right in teh middle of the surgery and you'll know why surgeries are so expensive. You HAVE to have a vet, a tech, and an assistant to be there in case anything should happen.

No, there is NO "popping" sound. This comes from a VET TECHS's perspective. I can assure you, teh only sound you hear is the sounds of the metal from the scapel and hemostats moving about as the vet reaches to get what they need, the sound of the A/C, normal sounds in the vet clinic.... but no, no popping sounds. Hmm..... even when the testical is dropped into the trash it doesn't make a pop sound, more like a dull thud if the trash can is empty.

Thank you so much Jennifer....that was what I was after. The stupid "B" that goes round telling the horror stories to all the guys she knows is way out of line. We have enough problems trying to get all dogs "fixed" as it is..to make it sound so..I am not even sure of the words here...impersonal and uncaring I guess....just to freak everyone out .........

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

I've tried to think why someone would think it "pops" or makes that sound. The only think I came come up with even remotely close would be if the incision is done slightly shorter than the size of the testicles, and when the testicle is pushed out, it "pops" out through the opening??? Or perhaps when the second pouch is opened, the testicle is squeezed up so the pouch slides down and if you think of it that way, I guess it would "pop out"... but no, it doesn't make a popping sound.

What the guys are probably crossing thier legs over is that some Grey boys tend to swell and bruise afterwards. The older the canine is, the more likely they will do that. Males who are not neutered are more prone to prostate problems, UTI's, and prostate cancer. From experience with a boy with prostititus, you don't want to deal with that.