Please Tell Me How They Neuter A Male

I will openly tell anyone that I have never thought about how they preform a neuter surgery...But:

A guy and I were talking and he said that he could never neuter his dog because he was told by his vet they cut open the sack and then just pull out the testies. When they hear the **POP** they are disconected and then they slice and out they pop.....Please tell me that they at least cut them out......

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Well, they do push the testes forward (towards the head) which leaves the empty sac, then with the testes forward, the vet makes a single incision in between the testes on that now-taut skin, just large enough to squeeze the testes through individually. So, push testes forward out of the sac, make incision in the skin just forward of that now-empty sac, remove the pressure off the testes to allow one to slide back into the scrotal sac, and squeeze the other one out through the incision (like squeezing a zit?). Cut away at some of the extra tissue connecting the testes to the rest of the reproductive system, then locate the tube and suture the tube closed before cutting away the testicle on the testicle side of the suture. Allow sutured tube to go back through the incision, and repeat for the other testicle. Suture the incision using below-the-skin sutures.

At least, that's what I remember from watching a neuter a few weeks ago....

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

I can't imagine any yanking and indignity in any sort of surgery!

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest luckydog

Sounds to me like he's a male trying to justify not neutering his male dogs. Typical anthropomophization.

For chrissake, they *do* anaesthesize the dog first!

Sounds to me like he's a male trying to justify not neutering his male dogs. Typical anthropomophization.

I was thinking the same thing! A spay is much more invasive than a neuter.

Guest GentleHugs

Unless you live in the back woods....

When we lived in rural Kentucky about 10 or 11 years ago, DH had a customer who asked if we wanted a nice *dawg* because he was getting rid of his. He was *no good for huntin'* anymore. :unsure He said the *dang dawg* used to run off quite a bit after *them there females* until he *deballed* him with his pocket knife. :omg He said he just grabbed them and whacked them off real quick. :yikes:cry1 He said the dog licked his wound until it healed but now all he wanted to do was lie around and sleep all day. The *deballin* made him lazy, *no good for huntin'* and he was useless. :angryfire

I won't go into greyt detail of his description of his *neuter* procedure but I will say - it left my DH's mouth wide open and him gasping. :yikes:jaw

My DH knows the importance of neutering a male dog and spaying a female dog. He doesn't mind it if it's done by an experienced veterinarian and done with care. However, the thought of how this back woods guy neutered his male hunting dog really made my DH cross his legs and cringe every time he thought about what the guy said. :sad1

Guest tobinhr
Sounds to me like he's a male trying to justify not neutering his male dogs.

Oh yeah. As the lone female in a family of three boys/men and now THREE male pets, we chat about that. My husband is next on the list to be "de-manned" as my 11 yr. old DS calls it. :rolleyes:

Jan

Mac, who is "de-manned" and doesn't care...

(along with Schnerf the Fearless and Gorgeous George...the felines..)

WOW...Wasn't expecting that....Not even sure this thread deserved that....probably why I don't post many questions here anymore unless it is just a yes or no...kinda thing...... :huh

Maybe I over-reacted. I of course know that they use anestesia, as does he, but he was dead serious in the way he described it. He is 100% behind neutering, (his are neutered and spayed), but he was acting so shocked at the WAY it was done...

It is hard to explain how it was explained to him...but it was a little freaky sounding and I just wanted to make sure no "parts" were pulled until a pop sound and then just cut out. Made it sound like when you are cutting a whole chicken, and you are trying to cut at the joint and you "break" it..to cut thru the bone.

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Guest Spencers_Greyt

My sentiments exactly!!

Guest sheila

WOW...Wasn't expecting that....Not even sure this thread deserved that....probably why I don't post many questions here anymore unless it is just a yes or no...kinda thing...... :huh

Maybe I over-reacted. I of course know that they use anestesia, as does he, but he was dead serious in the way he described it. He is 100% behind neutering, (his are neutered and spayed), but he was acting so shocked at the WAY it was done...

It is hard to explain how it was explained to him...but it was a little freaky sounding and I just wanted to make sure no "parts" were pulled until a pop sound and then just cut out. Made it sound like when you are cutting a whole chicken, and you are trying to cut at the joint and you "break" it..to cut thru the bone.

I'm sure many ppl who are performing neuter surgeries have their different techniques. Perhaps the way it was described to your friend was an isolated instance or an 'old school' way of doing things. I could be that the 'pop' method works very well and is less invasive then other techniques even if it does have more of the 'EWWW' factor. If you are at all concerned about the procedures performed on your own dog then I would ask the surgeon who is doing the procedure what his/her protocol is.

I quoted this post in particular because I wanted to add that I didn't see anything wrong with the way luckydog responded. She has a valid point.

When we lived in rural Kentucky about 10 or 11 years ago, DH had a customer who asked if we wanted a nice *dawg* because he was getting rid of his. He was *no good for huntin'* anymore. :unsure He said the *dang dawg* used to run off quite a bit after *them there females* until he *deballed* him with his pocket knife. :omg He said he just grabbed them and whacked them off real quick. :yikes:cry1 He said the dog licked his wound until it healed but now all he wanted to do was lie around and sleep all day. The *deballin* made him lazy, *no good for huntin'* and he was useless. :angryfire

I won't go into greyt detail of his description of his *neuter* procedure but I will say - it left my DH's mouth wide open and him gasping. :yikes:jaw

My DH knows the importance of neutering a male dog and spaying a female dog. He doesn't mind it if it's done by an experienced veterinarian and done with care. However, the thought of how this back woods guy neutered his male hunting dog really made my DH cross his legs and cringe every time he thought about what the guy said. :sad1

Insane.

But when I was a kid, we had a neighbor who neutered their dog another "old-fashioned" way: wrapped a rubber band around them till the blood supply was cut off, and let 'em fall aff. No lie. Even at my young age, I was APALLED, and really felt like saying something. But I think I was about 8...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Pipi5
This site shows step-by-step photos ...

http://www.lbah.com/canine/dog_neuter.html

Thank you, that is very interesting.

Insane.

But when I was a kid, we had a neighbor who neutered their dog another "old-fashioned" way: wrapped a rubber band around them till the blood supply was cut off, and let 'em fall aff. No lie. Even at my young age, I was APALLED, and really felt like saying something. But I think I was about 8...

A friend of mine who has goats, he said that's how they do it. When I used to show horses & they would geld the young colts, they would leave the wound open...that was horrifying to walk in the stall & there's this poor colt with his privates just open for the world to see. The vet said they needed to heal from the inside.

Guest greyladydown
This site shows step-by-step photos ...

http://www.lbah.com/canine/dog_neuter.html

Thank you, that is very interesting.

Insane.

A friend of mine who has goats, he said that's how they do it. When I used to show horses & they would geld the young colts, they would leave the wound open...that was horrifying to walk in the stall & there's this poor colt with his privates just open for the world to see. The vet said they needed to heal from the inside.

Tractor Supply Company sells the band kits to neuter livestock.

My baby goats were banded at 2 days old but the Daddy had the pop em out method. We laid him out on a clean towel on the barn floor, the vet shot him with a local, the sac was slit and the critters just popped out with some skilled manipulation by the vet. I'm sure it was a bit more complicated than it looked. It only took a few minutes and the big guy was up and about in a short time. At least dogs are done in a more sterile environment.

Bovines, goats, sheep, horses and many other barnyard animals are routinely neutered using the banding method. I've actually placed the bands myself (being a former FFA member who grew up in the country). The blood supply is cut off and the affected parts wither and fall off. They do this for sheep tails, too, as most are born with long tails that are basically fat storage facilities and they want the fat in the meat. It sounds yucky but it's almost completely painless and bloodless.

It's LOADS better than doing it the old-fashioned way my macho-to-the-max FFA instructor described. How to make "Rocky Mountain Oysters" (it's somewhat like the guy above with the knife but with teeth instead :blink::omg ). YUCK!!!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I remember reading about this when reading one of my favorite books, My Friend Flicka...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

I don't think that was aimed at you. I think it was aimed at the guy who it appeared was trying to justify keeping his dogs intact. Obviously it was a mistaken assumption, but I don't think it was a slap at you. Just my opinion.

I never thought much about it. I thought they just cut them off.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest D_MansMommy

I remember reading about this when reading one of my favorite books, My Friend Flicka...

I loved that book! This thread has me wondering what happened to Donovan since his um "jewels" never descended. He had stitches in weird places when we adopted him. Our vet told us why he had the stitches "there". Weird :huh

Well, you did say that he would never neuter his dog, so I think that's where it came from. Doesn't sound like he's quite 100% behind neutering to me.

Well, you did say that he would never neuter his dog, so I think that's where it came from. Doesn't sound like he's quite 100% behind neutering to me.

I made Kevin take Aggadore to the Vet when the cat needed PU sugery. :rofl :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****