Really Good Ear Cleaning?

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

Tankala definately has problems with one of his ears. Really itchy and he's suffering. I have this excel ear cleansing liquid and it just doen't seem to do the job.

Any recomendations?

Well, you can try a half vinegar half rubbing alcohol solution (vinegar for the right pH, alcohol to dry out) and use cotton balls and Q-tips, being careful not to push gunk further into the ear canal. You will not "hit" his ear drum with the Q-tips - dogs have an L-shaped ear canal - but you don't want to push anything further down. However, if he's bothering at it, he likely has an ear infection, which could be either yeast or bacteria, and he'll need meds to take care of that.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest LindsaySF

I'd have the vet look at it. I've used Mometamax drops successfully (they work on yeast and gm+ bacteria).

When Clancy had ear infections we used every ear cleanser on the market, but they kept coming back. The Mometamax took care of it.

I'd suspect an ear infection too so a trip to the vet would be best.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Itchy ears can be a sign of allergies. My last dog had such terrible inhalant allergies he ended up with dual aural hematomas, and eventually what amounted to the canine version of cauliflower ears.

Don't try to deal with it on your own without checking first at the vet. It could be anything from a foreign body to a yeast infection. You don't treat those in anywhere near the same way!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest wmlcml6

We have a racer that has had chronic off and on ear infections for 6 months. On our second trip to the vet we got otomax, and it finally appears to be healing. Between the 1st and 2nd vet visit (several month span) we tried a bunch of different products and home remedies. He ended up with ulcerated ear so please be careful. We were told NOT to clean it for for at least a week, and to use the otomax drops. For the first time in months, this sweet boy finally walks around now without holding his ear flat to his head.

I would definitely say a vet visit is in order. And make sure not to clean the ears before the visit! I did that once when I worked as a bather for a groomer: I cleaned too well, and the vet couldn't get anything to culture! But at least I knew I did the job well...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.