Looking For Advice/thougths On Diarrhea

Guest diandlindy

Guest diandlindy

If you have any thoughts/ideas/advice on this and you have a spare moment, please send them my way!

I adopted my new baby girl Jenny 4 months ago. She had perfect digestion and poops for three months. July 12th she had a VERY loose stool and since then has not had any formed poops. She previously was at the vet for excess drinking and her kidney values were a bit high, then this hit. We are treating her for hyperacidity because it started with grass eating, loud gurgly tummy and some vomiting. It changed to diarrhea, then no eating, then bloody diarrhea. She is on a bland diet as we are now looking at food sensitivity.

She just turned three and I am worried about her. She has no increase in urgency, her stools are just loose, even on Lomotil. She is also on Prilosec. Next I am looking at further blood and fecal tests to rule out parasite and malabsorption. I feel so bad for her. She usually seems herself, but has had some down days. Awwwww.

Any thoughts?

Diana &

Jenny Lind

My Renie is on Sulfasalazine and Pepcid for intestinal inflammation and bowel disease. She started with diarrhea, not eating, gurgly tummy and was also eating crazy things like towels, comforter etc. She had xrays, ultrasound, colonoscopy, and endoscopy in addition to lots of bloodwork and was finally diagnosed. She has been doing well for four weeks now, eating pretty well, normal stool, etc. You might ask the vet about trying a trial of these meds. Renie improved after just a couple of days on them but will stay on the meds for another two weeks, we want to be sure her gut has healed.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I second the Pepcid. Kelsey has been on it for a long time now and is doing great. She takes 20 mg. twice daily, and we use the CVS brand. We also tried pumpkin which improved her stools for a short period of time. She ate I/D for years but actually improved further once we weaned her from that. She's now on Wellness and loves it. We also feed her several small meals daily (kibble with canned mixed in) and she free feeds. She also had a rising creatinine and was spilling protein and is taking Enalapril and Dermcaps liquid and her creatinine is fine now. It's definitely trial and error and you may have to change things up occasionally over the years to come.

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

Guest houndlover

Poor thing. I am going through something very similar with Daisy right now but by no means is it to the extent of Jenny's symptoms. I have just been using Pepcid and as far as changing Daisy's diet I have to be very careful b/c her stomach is supersensitive. Have you tried I/D? Science diet makes it and it is a prescription food. I do not like Science diet but this worked extremely well for Daisy a few years ago when she was having problems. I was eventually able to wean her off of it and but her on regular food. Hope your girl is feeling better soon.

Guest Winterwish

There are quite a few things you can look at that can be very helpful and even change things around to where she's not on any medication at all.

What kind of food does she eat?

Just curious about using Lomotil. Is this given regularly or only during flare ups?

I wasn't aware it can be used for dogs until just now. I'm only familiar with it's use in people.

It's an opiate,not heavy duty really,but still,not without side effectes,an importan t one being fever -hyperthermia. Just want to mention that.

Can't imagine being given on a maintainence basis,but in case,thought I'd ask about and mention the side effect of fever when taking an opiate based med.

This could hopefully be a relatively simply solved food based thing. For example,feeding a grain free kibble.

Was she ever been placed on a run of Flagyl,say for 7- 10 days?

Tested for worms?

I hope your girl is feeling better soon. Sounds like you love her! :gh_lay

Edited by Winterwish

Guest diandlindy

Thanks for the advice and kind words. Keep 'em coming! I told Jenny that many people are trying to help her :)

She started on Pepcid and three other drugs, then switched to Prilosec and Sulfasalazine. They added Lomotil for 5 days just to try to slow her gut down. She hasn't shown any signs of side-effects, nor has it been effective!! There is no change of bowel on it. We have stopped the Sulfsalazine to see how she does as I was told she can't stay on it long term.

She is still on bland diet to cleanse her system of possible irritating proteins. I was told that can take weeks!! If we can shore up her bowels a bit, we will reintroduce some doggy food. I've already been looking into grain free varieties, as well as odd proteins like duck or salmon or venison.

Does anyone know if any of this is symptomatic of kidney issues?

Again, I thank you SO much for helping.

Diana &

Jenny

Guest Greytminds

Please be careful of Flagyl! If you choose the medical route read the side effects prior to starting any medicine. It could be a food allergy try a grain free beef free diet if not already on it. We use a cooked diet for one and grain beef free kibbel for the others in the pack.

Good Luck

Paul

Guest Winterwish

Flagyl is an antibiotic that can get to little bugs and critters that can be causing the diarrhea. It can be a very important,necessary part of treatment tho.

Glad the sulfsalazine and lomotil have been stopped - definitely not for long term use.

Wondering if you brought in a specimen of her poops for testing?

Edited by Winterwish

Guest diandlindy

She had a direct fecal last week, and may be in for another round this week. Her bland diet was chicken and rice, now it is ground beef and rice. We are trying to pinpoint if it is a certain protein that is causing the problem.

I am possibly set to get this detailed blood and fecal this week since the diarrhea hasn't stopped. Everything else has pretty much returned to normal.

The test runs $350 and checks for parasites and B12 and pancreatic enzymes.

I just wish there was a surefire answer or diagnosis. Or that Jenny could talk and tell me what she feels!

Diana

Guest Winterwish

Are you boiling the chopped meat or chicken? Was it a chicken breast with the fat cut off?

Boiling it reduces the fat to almost none.

It could also be the rice.

You could try substituting the rice with plain cooked pasta.

Curious about Flagyl and if Jenny has ever been placed on that?

Guest longdogs

You need to get the results of the tests before trying anything else. My first thought was a bacterial infection as it used to strike William just as you describe if he managed to scavenge something particularly 'ripe'. Antibiotics would clear it up but he wouldn't return to normal until some time after the antibiotics stopped. I'd be surprised if she just suddenly reacted adversely to a diet she's been stable on for months.

Guest diandlindy

I am boiling her meat. I have asked about the rice and the vet doubts that it is that, but she doesn't digest the rice very well either. That is quite evident!

I am having the testing done today or tomorrow, which will tell us more, or at least rule things out. I agree about questioning the food sensitivity since she was perfectly normal ( and I mean perfect!) until one day.....

She has not been on Flagyl because he didn't suspect parasites initially.

I'll keep you filled in!

Diana

I've had 3 dogs, rotating with the big D for several months.

my vet has always ruled out parasites, but ALWAYS put them back on Flagyl!!! and i put them on the bland diet.

we have finally broken he chain and now all are having nice solid poo! :clap (wish there was a happy Popp dance icon)! :)

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Winterwish

Yep,I'd suggest getting a prescription for Flagyl today really. I'd go right ahead and say to my vet,"I think she needs a prescription for Flagyl and I want to try that for her." I really would.

She needs to be treated for any bugs she may have.

Food sensitivity searches,indeed can take a long time,but so much time,money,and especially the Big D,is going on when she could be quite easily helped with the flagyl clearing her up and really help her.

Guest Winterwish

Also,that she's had bloody diarrhea at one point does not seem like a food sensitivity issue.

True,prolonged diarrhea from a food allergy can result in bloody diarrhea,but in and of itself,it's not a symptom of food sensitivity that I'm aware of. That's more like from a sick gastrointestinal system,very possibly,probably, in need of an antibiotic,Flagyl usually.

It's very well tolerated in really any dog I've ever known who was on it, it's a big releif to see them get well after being on it.

How is Jenny doing today? :getwell

Edited by Winterwish

Guest diandlindy

Sorry that I haven't gotten back to you all! Jenny threw up today for the first time in 9 days. Anybody know the best way to get pure bile out of brand new carpet :ohno Some of her test results are coming in, my vet calls each time. She tested positive for Giardia!!! They did a simple fecal last week but didn't find it, but this time it's there.

I also found out that one of the drugs (out of MANY she was on last week) was the generic for Flagyl. It didn't help her a bit. So we are looking at a resistant strain. They put her on Panacur for 5 days. We'll see.....

3 more test results (B12, folic and another fecal) are due tomorrow.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Diana and Jenny

Oh boy!

We tried Folex when we had bile in carpeting. CVS had it. It worked quite well; I don't know about perfect but close enough!

As for the giardia, both Panacur and metronidazole (Flagyl) should work together well. That exactly what our vet prescribed for our 4 month old puppy for Giardia last month. Flagyl is dicey for puppies but the combo seemed to work. He never vomited though.

We gave the Panacur differently but we were treating a bunch of worms as well. Sounds like they are doing well by your Jenny. Maybe giardia takes a while to get rid of?

Marcia in SC