Back Legs "stuck" In Squatting Position

Guest JennaRN

Guest JennaRN

This morning I had Darla outside in the shade with me as I was cleaning shutters. She got up at one point to do a #2, and then proceeded to keep walking around like she was almost frozen with her rear legs in that position. She then went over to her petbed and sat down funny straight down on her hind end like how most dogs sit. I had her get up and took her inside, didnt have any difficulty walking, but still had her back legs almost cramped in that position. No cries, screams, etc. She did knuckle one of her paws once. After in the house she kind of snapped out of it and was fine. Is this something to be concerned about???????? Darla is 5, with no health issues except for a UTI 3 weeks ago, and for what its worth she got her DHLPP, Bordatella, and Rabies boosters last Thursday. Fortunately I will be home most of the day to watch her, but it really freaked me out! Could this be something neuro, or maybe just a strange cramp?

Guest charmsmom

If she doesn't right in a little while, I would get her checked out. It might be something simple, or it might be LS. It never hurts to have a little peace of mind.

Could be she was trying to expel something that didn't want to be expelled, KWIM? Might want to get anal glands checked if she does it again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

when I first read this, I freaked out, too, but after reading Batmom's post, I remembered every once in a while Holly will be trying to get out one blade of grass that just doesn't want to come...did you actually look there to make sure everything looked ok?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest JennaRN

You know, I glanced "under the hood" as we term it, but didnt see anything to catch my eye. Darla has been munching on grass this weekend though... Being rather new to the whole dog world I have never dealt with anal glands, but I may have to throw on a rubber glove and see if she has something going on with her tooshie :huh . Its a good thing that I have built up a tolerance to bodily fluids from my nursing career ;)

Could be she was trying to expel something that didn't want to be expelled, KWIM? Might want to get anal glands checked if she does it again.

That's my thought, too. Whenever Turbo has grass stuck in there ( :rolleyes: ), he'll walk around in a squatting position until I pull the offending bit out. :puke

Edited to correct gross emoti :lol

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Probably a dangler as we call them! Piece of grass coming out of her butt. Always fun to do a dangler remover in public...

Was she rubbing her butt and walking? Or just squatty walking?

Sometimes the offending blade of grass zips back in...

Charming, I know! I just had to perform a "grassectomy" last week!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck