First Post Back In A While And It's A Question

Hi folks, sorry for the long absense. I had every intention of coming back this weekend and posting some great Dee stories but something happened last night and now I need your help before the vet opens at 9

I let Dee out at midnight - a quick scan of our jungle/yard showed it to be safe. I was half asleep, dozing on the couch waiting for Dee to bark and tell me she was ready to come in when I hear her crying really loud. I'd say she was crying for a good 20 seconds before it registered and I ran to the door.

She was by our shed with the raspberry bushes and crying really hard, but she was standing. My first thought was "skunk" but there was no smell. I had to call her a couple of times before she came to the house. I checked her up and down for cuts, bites, anything, and couldn't find anything.

She took a while to settle but did. I heard her wandering around the living room around 3 a.m., figuring she needed out to pee, but she wouldn't go. She refused to come upstairs to the bedroom either. This morning, I found her in the playroom (down stairs), where she rarely goes and she absolutely could not come up the stairs. Not even a cookie would get her up.

Peter and I carried her up the stairs and for about five minutes, she stood stock still and then began to wander a big. I got her outsie for a pee but then she came right back in and laid down on her bed. She's not gotten up since, not even when I was in the kitchen (five stairs up).

I checked the bushes this morning. I can't find anything untoward that could have caused any harm. She's obiously not comfortable although she let us lift her.

Any ideas? The vet doesn't open until 9.

Edited by mareyeka

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Guest sheila

have you looked EVERYWHERE? Like all up under her thighs/armpits etc. When Kiowa got bit by something it wasn't until we had him laying down on the vets table that we found a bruised bloody mark on his inner thigh.

How is she moving when she's up wandering around? Wonder if she could've hurt her neck?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sheila - it's very possible that I missed something. I will have another go over, thanks. We do have lots of animals here so there could be a bite somewhere.

Batmom - she *seems* to be walking ok, but I thought I detected more of a limp on her bad hind leg. Then again, it could be my imagination as I try to find an explanation. She just absolutely won't even try the stairs.

I've not seen her get up from a lying position so I don't know how she does with that. I'm trying not to disturb her too much. I brought her food and water down stairs and she's not interested although she did eat the biscuit I brought her.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Guest GreyFox

I have no suggestions, Mareyeka, but my fingers are crossed for Dee and for you. I'm glad you have a vet appointment and hope it's nothing serious.

Could she have maybe sprained her leg...or got her neck out of whack???? Sending prayers...:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest charmsmom

Did you try giving her any pain meds and see if that helps? Does she have any other signs, like elevated temp, heart rate, etc?

Guest TBSFlame

I use to hate it when they would go out at night and run full speed into the dark night back yard. I put up a 3 foot fence across the back yard so I can close part of the yard off. At night, the gate is closed and they dogs must stay near the house. Now I don't have that problem. Our fence backs up to woods and we have animals including snakes that come to our fish pond. I worry when I can't see my hounds.

Guest EMcElfresh

I know you have only been there 30 minutes - but please do update us when you return!!! :grouphug to Dee (and you! how scary!) :unsure

Edited by EMcElfresh

We're back. The vet doesn't think that she hurt her neck or was bitten (we couldn't find anything). His opinion is that her hind leg is getting worse - I was noticing that she was favouring it more over the past couple of weeks. It's possible she twisted it or moved it the wrong way, causing the pain. I guess what worried me was that it wasn't the dramatic scream but actual cryings.

So, we're trying her on weekly, for four weeks, injections of Cartrophen, plus she has a week's supply of pain killers. We're hoping that this will help her. She still can't do stairs but that means my kitchen is safe. ;)

I knew that there really was something wrong when I picked up her leash and although she came right up to me and stuck her head in her collars, tail wagging, she didn't do the happy dance that she did right up to yesterday.

Fingers and paws crossed that she'll be back to her naughty self soon.

I hope the injections work and that she's back to normal soon :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest paulamariez

Poor sweet girl! I'll keep Dee in my prayers for a quick recovery! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Diggity Dee some healing doggie kisses too!