Dazzle Has Acute Gastroenteritis...

Last week, Dazzle had some diarrhea and was vomiting, but neither seemed severe. Gave her yogurt, chicken and rice, and pumpkin, and she was back to normal in about two days, and she'd been fine since.

This morning, she ate her canned dog food at breakfast, then vomited a few hours later, but it was clear. I'm a little worried....then at 3:30, I let her and Summer out into the little backyard to do their business. When Dazzle squatted to pee (so I thought at the time), it looked awfully dark to me. Since it splashed on rocks, I went to look when she was done...and the rocks--normally gray--were covered with red liqud.

So off we go to the emergency vet. I explain what's going on. The vet seems puzzled that there would be blood in her urine and she's vomiting, he said that didn't make sense. He did a rectal exam on her while I was there. When he pulled his finger out, some blood drops came out. I didn't see *pee* before.....it was poop. So liquidy that I mistook it for pee.

So the vet does a fecal, urine, bloodwork, and x-ray. Her urine comes back fine. She's not dehydrated (they did give her fluids under the skin all the same, though). The x-rays didn't show forgein objects, but they did show gas and....something else that my mind just went blank on. No parasites or anything.

The diagonis is acute gastroenteritis...or irritation of her stomach or intestines. The vet said happily, it looks like I caught it early. Dazzle wasn't dehydrated, or completely lethargic. She was quiet for *her*, but the vet seemed happy with her activity level (she was friendly and sweet to them, even with their hands up her ass).

He said that they don't know what causes it always, but he feels confident that she'll be fine in a few days.

He gave me canned i/d to feed her, and advised that she get 1 10 mg tablet of Pepcid twice a day, and 2 to 3 5 ml doses of Pepto-Bismo.

So I took her home and then went to Walgreen's for the meds and a syringe to get the liquid down her throat. We'll just say the first dosage of Pepto-Bismo didn't go so well--she managed to spit it back out at me, so I was a Barbie-Doll pink nightmare for a bit there. She doesn't like the canned food either. I did get a dose of Pepto-Bismo down her, but let's just say the next few days are going to be an interesting match of who can be the more stubborn Irish bitch* in this house.

I think Chase knows she's not well. He's laying in front of her right now, watching her sleep. Every so often he puts his paw on her nose, as if he's checking her temperature. She's too tired right now to even care that he's there.

The irony is, Summer, who is perfectly healthy is begging for a dose of the Pepcid and the Pepto-Bismo, and Dazzle, who is sick, is fighting it. Dazzle's usually the one who wants a taste of everything the human has, Summer's usually the more finicky eater.

So that's our Fourth of July....

Guest Nahoa

Don't know if this helps, but I've had good luck putting the syringes (syringe-like thingys, whatever you call them) between the cheek and gum. Seems to give less "tongue ejection". A little peanut butter either on the syringe or on a spare finger to get some regular licking going on seemed to help, too.

Sounds like a very eventful Fourth of July. Hope Dazzle's feeling better quickly!

Don't know if this helps, but I've had good luck putting the syringes (syringe-like thingys, whatever you call them) between the cheek and gum. Seems to give less "tongue ejection". A little peanut butter either on the syringe or on a spare finger to get some regular licking going on seemed to help, too.

Sounds like a very eventful Fourth of July. Hope Dazzle's feeling better quickly!

I did eventually figure out the cheek and gum bit, but the peanut butter might help, she does like that. Thanks for the tip!

oooooh........Dazzle!! Feel better sweetie! hugsmile2.gif

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest Vinnie

Oh poor Dazzle - that's not the way to spend a holiday. Hope she feels better soon, thinking healing positive thoughts.

Guest vahoundlover

Poor baby! Hope Dazzle feels better soon. Pepto comes in pill form and oh so much easier than the liquid.

Poor baby! Hope Dazzle feels better soon. Pepto comes in pill form and oh so much easier than the liquid.

Yep. Get the pills -- gelcaps? -- that are designed NOT to be chewed. Walgreen's has them as store brand, so cheap cheap cheap.

Hope your baby is better soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greygirls2

I use the Pepto caplets....much easier to administer and no mess. Just be sure they are the caplets NOT the chewables.

Hoping Dazzle feels better soon. Not liking the Hill's ID is a problem but maybe "IF" yogurt is okay, that will help the food taste better

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Feel better soon sweetie girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest ChancesMom

The symptoms you explain sound like what Chance has had 2 times now only the vet called it HGE (hemorrhagic gastrointeritis). This is actually where the whole intestine is inflamed. The first time I did not catch it until he got to the vomiting and bloody diarrhea which was while I was at work. When I got home I took him to the vet and they ended up having to keep him over night with IV fluids and IV antibiotics. He just started with another bout last week and knowing what I knew I got him in right away. This time they gave him the IV fluids under the skin and sent him home. Both times he was sent home with Flagyl (pill) and DiarSanyl (paste). The Flalgyl is like an antibacterial and the paste actually coats the intestinal lining.

I hope that the over the counter meds work and I am sure you will keep an eye on poor Dazzle so if she doesn't seem to improve pretty fast maybe you could suggest to your vet the above meds.

Sending :bighug to you both.

Well, she's not vomiting. She hasn't done a number two yet today, but she's also turning up her nose at the i/d. The vet did say I could give her chicken flavored baby food and rice if she didn't like it, so I guess I'm gonna be going out to get some of that.

She's still pouting about the Pepto Bismo and Pepcid. We had another Pink Splash this morning, so yeah, I'm gonna look for the gelcaps.

Might try warming the I/D and mixing a little water (and maybe just a teaspoon of honey or molasses) with it.

If you make your own, cook the rice with extra water so it's good and soft. I've found that canned I/D goes thru the dog better than anything I can make at home ... but all dogs differ! and I must admit mine will eat anything.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I made her rice with chicken flavored baby food and a bit of chicken I prepared, and she's happily eating. I knew she was hungry, she kept going over to the food bowls and looking....she was just all "DO NOT WANT" with the i/d.

I did try warming it up before, she still turned her nose up at it. Is honey/molasses okay to give when they have nausea/diarrhea?

Guest paulamariez

Poor Dazzle. My Domino has had that before and I know how uncomfortable he looks! I'll keep Dazzle in my prayers for a quick recovery! Domino is sending her some "I've been there" doggie kisses!

Well....in an attempt to look at the bright side of things.....

If she's feeling well enough to fight me so hard at taking the Pepto-Bismo, then she's not *horribly horribly* ill, right?

On the other hand....I could do without looking like a refugee from the Barbie collection.

(So, yes, I ran out and got gelcaps....)

I made her rice with chicken flavored baby food and a bit of chicken I prepared, and she's happily eating. I knew she was hungry, she kept going over to the food bowls and looking....she was just all "DO NOT WANT" with the i/d.

I did try warming it up before, she still turned her nose up at it. Is honey/molasses okay to give when they have nausea/diarrhea?

Won't hurt if you give only a bit -- a teaspoon or two per meal. Wouldn't want to give cupfuls. Sounds like you have the eating under control, tho!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm so sorry that Dazzle is sick but glad you caught it before it got worse. I believe this is the same thing that Spencer has when I posted about him being sick 2 weeks ago. I was told a high fiber diet would help.

All 3 of mine were diagnosed with acute gastroenteritis once. Wally and Pudge got to come home from the vet visit but Gracie had to stay all day. She was very de-hyrated and they had to give her the intestine-coating stuff. Within 2-3 days everybody was about back to normal.

The only thing the vet and I could think might have started the episode was that I'd caught all 3 drinking from a dirty bird bath. Bird poop cooties in the water. :puke

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png