Apparently He Just Didn't Like...

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

From my other thread about Elvis having a dental and then not eating....Link

Elvis hasn't really eaten since last Thursday night. After he refused breakfast this morning I called the vet and we decided on a plan of action. Try a couple of other things and if he's still not eating, bring him back to the vet in 48 hrs.

Now...I've made just about everything you can think of for this dog in the last few days: white rice, brown rice, chicken, tuna, raw beef, cooked beef, cooked veggies, assorted cheeses, egg noodles, rotini noodles, spaghetti noodles...every combination and offered to him at warm, cold and room temp. He's snubbed everything! The week before he his dental he was eagerly eating rice and/or noodles and/or some kind of meat. He didn't seem to care.

Anyway...one idea the vet suggested was canned dog food. DH remembered the couple of cans we keep in the kennel just in case we need to encourage a boarder to eat...Elvis went nuts for it. So we went to petsmart and bought a case - at this point he really needs to eat! (makes me glad I keep a few extra poundies on the seniors).

Gosh...I must be a pretty bad cook when even a dog doesn't want my cooking! :P:lol

I don't think that's it, Heather. Like any kid, Elvis just prefers the junk food. :lol:lol Glad he's eating again!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I am so happy that your sweet baby is eating. I remember going through this with Angel LaceyLaine's chemo...and if I did find "one" thing that she would FINALLY eat...she would never go there again. :blush It gets frustrating because you worry yourself sick. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest KRKWMU

Poor Elvis! He doesn't know what he's missing! :P

I wouldn't take it too personally. Bonnie is doing the same thing right now (although, I don't think she'd turn down home-cooked meals!). She's been eating less than stellar quality canned food, but she's eating. Whatever works ;)

With a name like Elvis did you try a fried peanut butter banana sandwich?

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:rofl

I feel for you, Heather. Been there, etc. Just never can tell what will appeal to these guys. Hope he keeps eating and gets back on track for you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

The funny thing is, yesterday I wondered if I should try canned food but thought: nah...if he's not eating "the good home cooked stuff" he's not going to want canned. :rolleyes: I'd totally forgotten about the kennel food or I would have just tried it. Canned was our next step today even if the vet hadn't suggested it. Picky little bugger!

:rofl Shame on me! It didn't even occur to me :P

Sending prayers for Elvis that he starts eating again and feeling better.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest greytelectric
From my other thread about Elvis having a dental and then not eating....Link

Elvis hasn't really eaten since last Thursday night. After he refused breakfast this morning I called the vet and we decided on a plan of action. Try a couple of other things and if he's still not eating, bring him back to the vet in 48 hrs.

Now...I've made just about everything you can think of for this dog in the last few days: white rice, brown rice, chicken, tuna, raw beef, cooked beef, cooked veggies, assorted cheeses, egg noodles, rotini noodles, spaghetti noodles...every combination and offered to him at warm, cold and room temp. He's snubbed everything! The week before he his dental he was eagerly eating rice and/or noodles and/or some kind of meat. He didn't seem to care.

Anyway...one idea the vet suggested was canned dog food. DH remembered the couple of cans we keep in the kennel just in case we need to encourage a boarder to eat...Elvis went nuts for it. So we went to petsmart and bought a case - at this point he really needs to eat! (makes me glad I keep a few extra poundies on the seniors).

Gosh...I must be a pretty bad cook when even a dog doesn't want my cooking! :P:lol

From the Whole Dog Journal, try canned green tripe - the Solid Gold canned. Evidently even dogs who won't eat anything else will eat this horribly smelly stuff. And it's good for them!

Guest KennelMom

He ate dinner with gusto tonight!! The canned dog food is what he's hankerin' for right now. After dinner he came over to the sofa for some lovies, so I know he's feeling better :yay :yay

(I'll keep the green tripe idea filed away for future reference ;) )

Don't blame your cooking, that canned stuff is doggie crack (or that's what it gets called at our house.)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest MountainHounds

I'm glad to hear that he's feeling better! Canned food is doggie crack at our house too, I usually mix some in with Kamin's food every night because the spoiled little snot has me very well trained :rolleyes: And of course Prax gets some in his too, even though getting him to eat is never a problem.

And the few times I've given them the green tripe? They eat outside because it smells so bad :puke

Guest IrskasMom

I really don't think it is your Cooking ,he is just a little finicky. I know mine is. " Don't give me anything twice in a row."

Mine likes everyday something different and with surprises on top .

I also feed him CSFDLS with Evo ( No Grain ) canned Food mixed in with either Yogurt on Top or some Chicken on Top or

Liverwurst broken up . Mine is a poor Eater , only so can I entice him.