New Dental Hygenine Routine

Lucy has pockets along her gumline that catches everything and makes her breath wretched. :lol I wanted to get a water pik, but keep reading the portable ones are worthless and haven't found one on sale.

Out of desperation, I got a squirt bottle and once a day I take her out back and squirt along the gumline and rinse rinse rinse. She is really good and holds her head still but down and all the nasty gunk just flushes out. (It is GROSS.) I brush lightly with nothing, rinse the brush and then brush again with the denta treat and pack it in the back and let her lick the denta treat off the toothbrush.

Her breath is soooo much better and I think she secretly likes it. I see a big improvement already in the tartar that was starting to build up after her last dental, and I figured since we all struggle with our houndies teeth I would share.

Diesel doesn't like it as much, but he will put up with it. He hasn't figured out it is ok to drool in the yard... :lol

Sally wants in on it, but she would rather me squirt her face so she can bite the water stream.

Guest ProudGreyMom

I hope it keeps working for you - good idea by the way! I think anything that we do to improve their teeth will help.

Wow, that is a great idea, thanks for sharing. :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I've seen an actual dental rinse solution for dogs. I think it's pink--you should be able to find it in most of the catalogs. NovaDent maybe??? Heck, maybe it's just pink water!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Greyt idea! I will try that with Pavé...she also has those pocket and even gentle brushing she bleeds...we will try rinsing first...then brushing. B)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I've seen an actual dental rinse solution for dogs. I think it's pink--you should be able to find it in most of the catalogs. NovaDent maybe??? Heck, maybe it's just pink water!

They would never stand for the rinses. I've tried them before and purchased them from the vet. The squirty bottle works great but they HATE the rinse. (I actually think I've tried pretty much every product out there...) When they see the bottle they run and hide. They don't mind the spray bottle, and as senior greyhounds that have put up with a lot, I think they have earned that. :)

Dentatreat is the only thing I have found that they will willingly let me brush their teeth with, and it works as a reward as well as having the enzymatic properties to eat gunk off their teeth. I actually use the people version to brush my teeth as well.

Greyt idea! I will try that with Pavé...she also has those pocket and even gentle brushing she bleeds...we will try rinsing first...then brushing. B)

I rinse first, then gentle brush or dental wipes, and then rinse again to get the ickies out. Lucy wagged her tail today while she got the second rinse.

She was a crate chewer, so her teeth have always been bad-but this year after her dental they look worse than they did BEFORE the dental. I won't be doing that to her again soon. :(

Edited by fritofeet

Guest paulamariez

Hmm, I wonder if Bueller would let me try this. He absolutely despises having his teeth brushed and we're having major problems with him. Even after getting a full dental two months ago, his gum infection is back once again and he's on antibiotics again. He's using the Dentatreat, Oxyfresh gel, brush everyday with enzyme toothpaste and chews from the vet plus the pink spray from the vet!! Can we do anymore and be free from these infections??? I'm just about ready to write to a veterinary dentist somewhere, just for further advice.

Hmm, I wonder if Bueller would let me try this. He absolutely despises having his teeth brushed and we're having major problems with him. Even after getting a full dental two months ago, his gum infection is back once again and he's on antibiotics again. He's using the Dentatreat, Oxyfresh gel, brush everyday with enzyme toothpaste and chews from the vet plus the pink spray from the vet!! Can we do anymore and be free from these infections??? I'm just about ready to write to a veterinary dentist somewhere, just for further advice.

I have heard about a laser treatment to treat periodontal disease in people and pets that might be worth looking into.

I think flushing the crud out helps keep the bacteria down. I'd bet I could put a little something IN the water to help as well, but the daily rinsing has helped a ton-so I don't want to mess with the fact that they will let me do it.

I use the denta treat as a reward, since they like the taste and treat it like a "flouride" treatment and don't give them anything to eat for about a half an hour after I brush with it. I don't use it on their food at all anymore, just to brush with or I'll rub their gums with it just straight off my finger. I'f I let up for a day with the brushing, Lucy backslides so fast and within a week her teeth are brown again. :rolleyes:

So, you aren't the only one struggling. :(