Eating Grass

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

Lola keeps eating grass. I have given her a round of de-wormer, just in case.

She is not eating all of her dog food, but is very interested in what's on my plate. She gobbled up some some fish I shared with her last night, so it's not like she isn't hungry.

Why do they eat grass and should I let her eat it?

Edited by argolola

Guest Spiff

Spiff just plain loves to eat grass - there doesn't seem to be any specific reason for it. There is a specific tender light green grass that he prefers over the normal lawn grass. :lol: He also enjoys green beans, peas, etc... I think he like to get his fiber and vitamins...

He does eat more grass when his tummy is upset, but I can tell his behavior is a little more frenetic and that he's not just enjoying munching on it.

Do you think Lola might be bored with her food? We have to change Spiff's from time to time because he just gets bored with it.

Edited by Spiff

Guest KennelMom

I've read a lot of theories - one even saying that in wild dogs, grass can act as a natural dewormer. Not sure how much I believe that, but I think that sometimes they do it if their stomach is upset in an attempt to get themselves to vomit. If they eat enough grass, they usually will. Sometimes I think they eat it just because it tastes good or they enjoy it.

If she's being picky about her food and eating grass and staring down your own food, maybe there's something awry with the food? Is it a new bag? Maybe they changed the forumula :dunno

I'm not sure why they do it...sometimes I think they just want a salad :lol I will share that Holly has just recently gone through a phase where she was constantly searching out grass to eat. where we are staying right now, we don't have any, and it slowed our walks down to a crawl because she would stop and graze. we just started adding carrots and peas to her food and she hasn't looked for grass since. she is loving her vegetables...so I think she was just looking for something 'green' to eat. you might want to try some veggies.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest argolola

Thanks everyone!

I am now wondering if she just likes grass, since it seems common.

Diane, I am about 1/4 of the way through a 50# bag. I think she might be tired of the food.

Ours all love to eat grass. Their favorite is rainbow grass (aka ribbon grass, canary grass), a variegated ornamental that we grow. Oh, and the first new grass in spring.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SabrinaInDE

Max is like a grazing cow. I'm pretty sure that it's just because he likes it, because he eats grass pretty much everyday and nothing is wrong with him. And along with Spiff, there are certain kinds he prefers over others. He also enjoys eating fresh mud every now and again :rolleyes:

Flashy grazes too and it always concerns me when he does this... :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest GreytfulJack

I have 'cow grazers' here. i wrote in about it awhile back, concerned, and asking if anyone else had greys that did the same, so you're not alone. :) I think mine just love the taste. Mine are fed kibble, vegetables and broth that we have from steamed veggies. Mine prefer the thick grass blades. perhaps it is a sweeter grass. There's a place on our walks where they will stay and eat for over 5 minutes if I don't move them along! It's ridiculous! :youcrazy

Guest FullMetalFrank

I think mine is part cow, he has always loved grass. I have never really seen him throw up after eating it (maybe once) so I think he just enjoys eating it. I discourage it if we are anywhere but it our own yard because you never know what chemicals mght have been sprayed, etc...

Guest Andyhound

I swear Andy is part sheep / goat. He loves eating grass and would spend all day chewing it if allowed. He loves his food (and other peoples and some things that are definitely not food) so there is no issue with an upset stomach. He just loves grass :lol

Figure it's not doing him any harm - full a lovely vitamins and minerals - yum

Guest tennesseegrey

Both of mine east grass as well, but their all time favorite is Mulch. I have to go out with them in the backyard to make them stop.

Guest zippsmum

Snap just likes to eat grass.....he kind of grazes like a small deer. He also likes any of the veggie plants in the garden, and the odd bit of the vine that grows on the side of our house. He's always done it....have no idea why.