Bug Bite On Face

At today's playdate, Merlin appears to have been bitten (I think it must have been a mosquito). The left side of his face is a bit swollen, and the bite was near the corner of his eye - he's been pawing at it. I want to give him some Benadryl, but not sure how much to give. 1 tablet? I'm assuming I shouldn't put any cream on it since it's so close to the eye?

Any advice would be appreciated!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Oh no, not handsome Merlin. Looks like we need a cooling collar that keeps the bugs away!! As for the Benadryl, it depends on his weight. It's 1mg per 1lb. They're 25mg per pill. I would space it out so it doesn't knock him out. Wayne is 74lbs and I give him 3 a day, every 6 hours. Hope this helps. Hugs to Merlin. Edited because I can't type!!

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thank you Claudia ... the left side of his face is swollen, and I have been putting some ice on it. Poor baby :( He seems to be ok, he's sleeping right now, and grunting,w hich he only does when he's comfortable and happy... so I am not as worried as I was earlier. However, anything that's close to the eye gets me worried, it's such a delicate area.

I will go get some Benadryl pills, because I only have the cream in his First Aid kit (doh! :rolleyes: ), and will use it as you suggested. Merlin is 75lbs. Thanks!!

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest BlackandBrindle

Spud is 67ish pounds and I'll give him one pill twice a day and that knocks him out! :lol: The whole family is sensitive to medications though.

Hope Merlin feels better!

Run your fingertip very lightly over the hair all around the swelling. That way you'll be able to tell if there's a stinger still there -- it'll feel like a little piece of wire among the silky greyhound hairs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I checked and there's no stinger. I hesitate to give him meds unless it's necessary, because he had a bug bite him last summer while we were on vacation, and within 24 hours he was fine again with no medication. So I ended up not giving him any Benadryl today... I gently held ice around his eye for a while, and it seemed to make him feel better. He took a long nap. Just now I took him into the yard to relieve himself, but he lay in the grass, and then wanted to go back inside. He looks a little lost, and he's drinking a lot of water. He seems to want to be alone. The fur on his forehead looks almost fuzzy and bumpy. I don't think he feels well. Is is prudent to continue to 'wait and see"? :(

If I so give him a Benadryl, how long will it knock him out for?

Guest taylorsmom

I give Lucy 125 mg of benadryl a day for her allergies and it doesn't knock her out at all! She weighs about 67 lbs., but she is a Lab and perhaps not as sensitive to meds as our sighthounds are. I would go with cbudshome's calculations.

My calculations come from my vet. Wayne needs to be on Benadryl all summer. If you space it out, it shouldn't knock him out at all. I hope he feels better poor guy

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Foxy gets 2 25mg pills every 6 - 8 hours when she needs it. Doesn't seem to bother her and she's only 55 lbs. I'd at least give him one, but reactions can make you feel crappy. I'm sensitive to black flies, fleas and spiders. So, I feel for him.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I'd probably go ahead and give 25mg. Might make him feel a bit better and shouldn't loop him out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytmonty

Monty takes so much Benadryl he needs an addiction counselor, but it is at our vet's recommendation for his allergies. Follow your vet's directions for amounts. I have heard 1 mg per pound also. However, with Monty, that would mean he weighs 200 lbs! :blink:

Guest BlackandBrindle
If I so give him a Benadryl, how long will it knock him out for?

Chances are it won't. I'd go ahead and give at least 25mg. It won't hurt. We're just a little odd in this house ;)

I had to leave the house to go run an errand, left DH with Merlin, and when I got back he'd had another long nap and he seems to be back to his old self! The swelling has gone down completely, he seems interested in food, and he's wagging his tail. I think he's much better now :) but if he takes a turn for the worse again I will definitely give him the Benadryl. Now at least I know for next time... I think he's slightly allergic to bug bites. I was kinda worried there for a while !! I'm so neurotic :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your greyt advice!

Thank goodness all is well! Hugs for Merlin! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest freightsmom

[ I think he's slightly allergic to bug bites. I was kinda worried there for a while !! I'm so neurotic :rolleyes:

No, you are not neurotic. You are a mom who only wants what is best for her pupper! Hope Merlin continues to feel better from his buggy bite.