Revolution?

Guest sandlot13433

Guest sandlot13433

I took my foster boy Riley to his new home and they mentioned that they had purchased Revolution, a topical treatment for heartworms and fleas. I had never heard of topical heartworm treatment before and have heard about greyhounds having reactions to topical flea treatments. What are peoples' thoughts on this? I told them about interceptor, but they already bought this treatment. Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, to share? Thanks so much!

Guest LynnM

It works and works well. I've had good results with it against fleas and ticks, as well. The other great thing about it is if you have a dog with sarcoptic mange, it's effective against that, too (a good thing to remember if you do any work at a vet hospital or among a general animal shelter population!). It's quite safe and can be used on debilitated and heartworm positive dogs (as you might need to for mange). Of course as a topical, it's easy to dose. As far as I'm concerned the only negative is price... it's expensive!

Lynn

Guest greytelectric

I have my two greys on Revolution. It's expensive, but when you think of purchasing separate flea and heartworm meds it evens out. No problems here.

Guest sandlot13433

I should add that he also has hook worms for which he is undergoing treatment. Also, in this area we don't have problems with fleas.

Edited by sandlot13433

It has the highest reaction rate of the hw meds (not including ProHeart6) and some vets will not use it because of hw issues.

Revolution is safe in greyhounds and is a very safe product overall. Because of what Revolution covers I would bet that the rate of reactions to Revolution is less than combining a HW prevention and a flea prevention separately.

The majority of our clients choose Revolution b/c of convenience. They can apply a single topical med that will protect them against both fleas and heartworm and it is generally a little bit cheaper than Heartgard + Frontline. I honestly can say that I don't remember the last owner we had that called in with an adverse reaction to Revolution.

That isn't to say that Revolution is the best product on teh market... technically HG + Frontline will get you better coverage than Revolution alone for most things but Revolution is a good and safe product.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest longdogs

I use it on my cats and for the greys if they are going into kennels. Fine for greys and great for cats. No problems with either species - unless you count trying to get the cats from under the bed because they've seen you coming.

Guest LokisMom
I should add that he also has hook worms for which he is undergoing treatment. Also, in this area we don't have problems with fleas.

I may be wrong but I thought Revolution did not treat other kinds of worms?

We used to use it and didn't have any problems except Loki had super worms that would not go away with Panacur treatment (I think he was re infecting himself) so we switched to something that dewormed monthly as well.

Guest shanesmom

We use Revolution here. No problems using it. I use it as prevention for fleas and heartworm though, not as a treatment for anything.

I used it for several years, but the clinic I go to now won't prescribe it--I believe they read some studies that it is not as effective as some other treatments? I can't really remember, but I didn' twant to argue about it either!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We normally have Argos on Frontline + and generic heartworm pills, but my mother adopted a dog from a rescue and it had scabies, so my vet put Argos on a 2x monthly dose of Revolution for 2 months, just to be safe. I think it kills nearly everything! He didn't have any type of reaction to it. The only reason I don't use it on a regular basis is because it doesn't promise to prevent ticks.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest longdogs

Revolution only kills intestinal worms in cats, for dogs you also need a separate wormer which makes the treatment more costly than other choices. For heartworm, fleas and - if you ever have a problem with them - mites, it is effective. Cats maintain the drug in their bloodstream at a higher level so it kills worms as well and makes the treatment more economical.

There is another similar product called Advocate that works for heartworm, roundworm, hookworm and whipworm as well as fleas and mites. I've used this occasionally on both dogs and cats and it is less likely to matt the fur where it is applied. I'm not sure if you have it in the US. It is often slightly cheaper than Revolution. A downside for some might be that it contains moxidectin, the same drug as in the demonised ProHeart.