Bilirubin In Urine Question

Our foster Jake came back with bilirubin in the urine, at "+2" levels.

Doc advised to get him on SAMe or milk thistle, and to look into low protein diets.

While further work will almost certainly be required, how bad is "+2", and what should I start doing for this guy?

ETA: And if I wanna run my own tests, are the human test strips also good for use in dogs? Like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Urinalysis-Reagent...QcategoryZ26420

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

This reference suggests 2+ is nothing to get hideously excited about if all else is normal. But I'm just providing a reference, NO experience or knowledge of my own. http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proce...000/PR00128.htm

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Bilirubin can be normal in dog's urine... this is NOT hte case for cats though. In an otherwise healthy dog, a mild increase in bilirubin in the urine is nothing to be concerned about. If you wanted to be safe, you could check some bloodwork and liver enzymes and if they are elevated, then work things up further.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ItalianGreyhoun
Our foster Jake came back with bilirubin in the urine, at "+2" levels.

Doc advised to get him on SAMe or milk thistle, and to look into low protein diets.

While further work will almost certainly be required, how bad is "+2", and what should I start doing for this guy?

ETA: And if I wanna run my own tests, are the human test strips also good for use in dogs? Like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Urinalysis-Reagent...QcategoryZ26420

2 older grey 10,11 1- had +2 bilirubin but with a couple doses of 100% cranberry juice in a turkey baster, lots of prayers, the bilirubin was back to normal. Bile test was normal. Feeding Blue only-SAM-E, Chondroitan. Both girls are improving. Eliminated the dog bisquits.

Guest ItalianGreyhoun

My 2 older greys 11, 10 yrs_ both came down w elevated liver enzymes, +2 bilirubin. Both got 100% cranberry juice. SAM=E and chondroitan. Lots of prayers and the urine and Bile tests were normal. Tenderness in the sides disappeared. Yes, my grey friend works in a human lab and urine for dogs and humans are similar. Food is BLUE with brown rice, tuna in a can, lean chop meat. NO dog bisquits. Appetite is back, less sleeping, more active, coats back to cashmere feeling. The cran juice changed the urine color overnight from brown green to dark yellow. Try it. I use a turkey baster and 100% cran juice, not the diluted cocktail.

OK- now I'm mildly confused. Turkey baster as in down-the-throat with a hundred cc's of 100% cranberry juice for a few days in a row- or the rest of his life? Ditto with the SAM-e and chondroitan- every day, or...? We're currently giving milk thistle, although I confess some guesswork goes into how much to feed him.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)