Cephalexin Dosage

FWIW, Buddy (75#) was prescribed 3--500 mg. doses per day. It did not agree with him AT ALL (vomiting, runny poo), so we switched him to Simplicef. Not to mention the Cephalexin was just about impossible to get into him due to its stinkiness.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

The only harm with the yogurt would be that it might make the antibiotic less effective. Usually they tell humans not to have dairy products within so many hours of the antibiotic. I hope he feels better soon! I hate Cephalexin (nearly impossible to get my pups to take) and so do my dogs!

Good luck!

KIm

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

FWIW, Buddy (75#) was prescribed 3--500 mg. doses per day. It did not agree with him AT ALL (vomiting, runny poo), so we switched him to Simplicef. Not to mention the Cephalexin was just about impossible to get into him due to its stinkiness.

Poodle is on 2--500mg doses a day and that seems like a lot for 25#. They are the two shaded green capsules and are about as big as his throat which doesn't help.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

When Jilly Bean has to take it she gets a 250mg. dosage and does just fine on that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

See I'm thinking he is being double dosed....

I think it's too much, too, given what Buddy was prescribed. And that dosage made HIM sick! No wonder Poodle doesn't feel well....:(

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

When Jilly Bean has to take it she gets a 250mg. dosage and does just fine on that.

Fritz was just on 500 mg twice daily for his infected toe...he's 65 lbs but that's pretty standard dosage for any size greyhound I think (unless we're talking a 100 pounder, then it'd probably be 3x a day). I definitely think Poodle should have 250mg twice a day as Judy mentioned above for Jilly Bean.

Fritz didn't have any trouble tummy wise with his cephalexin course. My kids have iron stomachs though so that might be why. You're supposed to wait two hours after eating any dairy or anything with iron in it before taking cephalexin, or, take it one hour PRIOR to eating any dairy, etc. Dairy interferes with the absorption of the med.

Definitely see if you can get the dosage reduced...that's too much for a little one.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest longdogs

We had real trouble with cephalexin and Nugget learned to avoid any food that once hid the pills. It gave her a bad tummy upset. I think she was on 1000mg and she was a big girl.