Need Help With Weight Loss Diagnosis

Guest Glorygirl

Guest Glorygirl

:unsure I Need some help diagnosing weightloss and my 11 yr old hound. I noticed in late December that my greyhound had lost some weight, but I wasn't sure how much until I took her for boarding. When they weighed her in for boarding, she was down from 72 lbs to 69 lbs. I estimate that this weight loss occurred over a 9 month time span. I contacted my Vet and scheduled her for an exam the first week of January. They ran full blood work, fecal etc. Nothing showed up. We went ahead an dewormed anyway, then he told me I should supplement her diet with puppy food. Despite no changes in behavior, appetite or bowel habits she continues to loose weight. I took her to the vet again on Monday this week for a bordetella update, and asked her to be weighed again. UGH! She's down to 67.07 lbs. We ran the fecal again and more blood work along with thyroid check. Nothing shows abnormal, so they did x-rays. Again nothing has shown out of the ordinary. The only thing they came up with was an observation that she is not comfortable with pressure applied to her abdomen. She actually cried when the one Doc examined her. Her belly is not enlarged at all, there are no outward signs. So, the next suggestion is for an ultra sound.

I was talking to someone at work about the situation, she suggested maybe she has a gastro inflamation and I should consider a holistic diet route. She does eat broad grass, I don't know if this is significant or not, but I am beginning to wonder. Has any one else experienced this? Any suggestions? She is currently eating Pedigree Large breed mixed with Iams puppy. I am concerned that my sweetie is wasting away....though her behavior and energy indicate nothing. I am open to any suggestions or ideas. Woof!

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Personally I think puppy food is a waste of time, as far as weight gain is concerned. I've tried it, as others have, and the general consensus, was that it didn't work. (JMHO)

There are higher calorie foods out there, off the top of my head:

Solid Gold Mmillenia, Innova EVO and Solid Gold Wolf King is around 500kcal per cup. Pehaps switching the protein in the food might help as well. If you are feeding a chicken based food, perhaps try duck or beef or bison based.

Lastly, you could try adding digestive enzymes. It might be that your puppers digestive system is lacking in an essential enzyme to get all needed nutrients from the food.

Extra calcium that is in a puppy food is bad for the heart.

Most greys will scream if you push on their abdomen.

Can you afford a better food? There is a lot of sugar etc in Pedigree. Where are you located? Can you get Eagle Pack senior? or Eagle Pack Natural? What about BilJac frozen (which will help put on weight and is easy on the digestive system).

How are her poops? What color are they?

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Glorygirl
Extra calcium that is in a puppy food is bad for the heart.

Most greys will scream if you push on their abdomen.

Can you afford a better food? There is a lot of sugar etc in Pedigree. Where are you located? Can you get Eagle Pack senior? or Eagle Pack Natural? What about BilJac frozen (which will help put on weight and is easy on the digestive system).

How are her poops? What color are they?

I live in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. I appreciate the help from everyone! I will explore the BilJac Frozen... and the Eagle Pack recipes. What do you think about the ultra sound... should I try something else first? :dunno

Not sure you have frozen BilJac there. You can check your zip code at www.biljac.com

How are her poops? What color? Sorry but poop is very important :lol

Not sure what I'd do about the ultrasound. It's kind of hard to advise you without really knowing. If she is healthy acting, I might switch food to a higher calorie (even Solid Gold Barking at the Moon mixed in with SG Mmellenia or Eagle Pack) and wait a few days to see if she evens out or starts gaining.

Do you have access to food stores that carry this kind of food?

You can also try adding boiled chicken or beef to her kibble.

Did the vet recommend or suggest an ultrasound? Is it because of the tender abdomen?

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Glorygirl
Not sure you have frozen BilJac there. You can check your zip code at www.biljac.com

How are her poops? What color? Sorry but poop is very important :lol

Not sure what I'd do about the ultrasound. It's kind of hard to advise you without really knowing. If she is healthy acting, I might switch food to a higher calorie (even Solid Gold Barking at the Moon mixed in with SG Mmellenia or Eagle Pack) and wait a few days to see if she evens out or starts gaining.

Do you have access to food stores that carry this kind of food?

You can also try adding boiled chicken or beef to her kibble.

Did the vet recommend or suggest an ultrasound? Is it because of the tender abdomen?

Sorry not to respond to the poops question. They are on average,medium to chocolate brown, occasionally a little green. Generally well formed. When we go on her favorite walk, she will poop 3 times and of course stop and "water" as often as she can so everyone knows she's been there. On an average day she probably has a bowel movement three times, in the morning, mid-day and before bed. :unsure

The Vet recommended the ultra sound bc she wasn't sure if her intestines were bunched up or if this was just bc she is a greyhound and her abdomen is small. I know there are other greyhounds that use this same practice, but in truth they really cater to the large animals. The one Dr. said that they have an ultra sound machine, but that they use it more with large animals. I asked if I should take her to Virginia Tech, she told me she didn't think that was necessary. :unsure:unsure

In reading the few posts, I am starting to think seriously about the enzymes and the food. I just don't want to overlook something if the ultrasound would show it. The other thing I was going to do is talk to a Dr. at the Ohio State Greyhound Health and Wellness program. When I stopped in Monday, I also wanted to by some Frontline. Evidently my vet has decided tp stop carrying Frontline for dogs and instead is only offering ProMeris. When I asked if it was safe for Glory, the Dr's reply was," I don't see why not." I just wasn't satisfied with that answer, so I started researching the ProMeris here.

So...I can go ahead with an ultrasound, but not sure what we are looking for...possible inflamation? I could hold off on the ultrasound and try some of the different food...Eagle/Solid Gold it even crossed my mind to try raw or home cooked food. The woman at work has some bison food she said I could try. Since Glory is accustomed to eating free choice, I would be concerned about going too far off the kibble trail. She really is a "grazer" and likes to nibble throughout her day.

Guest TBSFlame
:unsure I Need some help diagnosing weightloss and my 11 yr old hound. I noticed in late December that my greyhound had lost some weight, but I wasn't sure how much until I took her for boarding. When they weighed her in for boarding, she was down from 72 lbs to 69 lbs. I estimate that this weight loss occurred over a 9 month time span. I contacted my Vet and scheduled her for an exam the first week of January. They ran full blood work, fecal etc. Nothing showed up. We went ahead an dewormed anyway, then he told me I should supplement her diet with puppy food. Despite no changes in behavior, appetite or bowel habits she continues to loose weight. I took her to the vet again on Monday this week for a bordetella update, and asked her to be weighed again. UGH! She's down to 67.07 lbs. We ran the fecal again and more blood work along with thyroid check. Nothing shows abnormal, so they did x-rays. Again nothing has shown out of the ordinary. The only thing they came up with was an observation that she is not comfortable with pressure applied to her abdomen. She actually cried when the one Doc examined her. Her belly is not enlarged at all, there are no outward signs. So, the next suggestion is for an ultra sound.

I was talking to someone at work about the situation, she suggested maybe she has a gastro inflamation and I should consider a holistic diet route. She does eat broad grass, I don't know if this is significant or not, but I am beginning to wonder. Has any one else experienced this? Any suggestions? She is currently eating Pedigree Large breed mixed with Iams puppy. I am concerned that my sweetie is wasting away....though her behavior and energy indicate nothing. I am open to any suggestions or ideas. Woof!

I am going through the same thing with my 12 1/2 year old grey, Tessie. She was 64 pounds the day I picked her up at the kennel at age 4.5 and has maintained 64-67 all these years. She is now down to 58 pounds and seems to be eating just like always. As a matter of fact she is a real food hound. Loves to eat. She does have LP but all else seems fine. I am really worried about her so I will be watching this thread.

Guest Glorygirl

I will certainly share whatever I find out! I am pretty upset with 67 lbs, I can only imagine if she were down to 58 lbs. :mellow:

Guest mandm

I've got some odd advice. Butter -- melted in the microwave & drizzled over her food. Start small, maybe 2 tsp, and increase if she tolerates it well. My experience is that butter is tolerated better than other processed fats and I've never met a greyhound who could resist it. The butter itself is very high calorie and the taste encourages them to eat more of whatever you drizzle it on. I always buy unsalted butter, but it probably doesn't matter, salted or unsalted.

Weight loss was our first indication that our Angel LaceyLaine was ill. Please keep us posted. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest HersheysMom

Given the background in your post and my own personal experience with an identical scenario, I would strongly suggest an abdominal ultrasound where they can check all of her organs for any abnormalities. Her being in pain when pressure is put on the abdomen could be an indication that something is wrong. The ultrasound will not be uncomfortable for your dog and could reveal something that won't show up in the bloodwork. Don't panic, though - it's great that she is acting normal otherwise and if anything does show up on the ultrasound you will have the opportunity to treat it early. Good luck.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
So...I can go ahead with an ultrasound, but not sure what we are looking for...possible inflamation? I could hold off on the ultrasound and try some of the different food...Eagle/Solid Gold it even crossed my mind to try raw or home cooked food.

That's exactly what you are looking for. Inflammation. Hershey's mom is right. An ultrasound is not painful and not invasive. We did it with Doug and Battle and they both tolerated it well. WIth Doug, it helped us firm up an IBD diagnosis.

Keep us posted.

Guest Glorygirl

You all are incredibly insightful! :thumbs-up Irritable bowel? Excellent suggestion. My gut says that while the ultrasound won't be cheap, it may show the inflamation. As to her drinking...really, she is not drinking any more than she used to. Her output is about the same as well. The only thing with her output is that I noticed every once in a while that she is licking herself, and I wonder if she isn't preventing a "dribble". I remind myself she is 11yrs, and she is permitted the occasional dribble....as long as she catches it when on my bed or the couch. I can't tell you how valuable this conversation is for me.

Could also be aging. Both my seniors lost a little weight as they got older. They were both eating well & the same amount but were losing a little muscle. Eggs are an excellent addition to the diet. They're high quality protein & fat & oh so yummy with a little butter or cheese. :chow An ultrasound certainly won't hurt (the wallet, yes - @$500 in my area) & can help you decide on a course of action.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest 2greysforme

If you try the butter, just make sure you are using true butter, not that tub-o-butta crap.

Edited by 2greysforme

Of course I have to be the exception. Alway am. Puppy chow is the only thing that keeps weight on my 10 year old boy. California Natural Lamb and Rice. 591 calories per cup. BUT.......he does not get it every day. He gets it maybe three times a week. That said, since he has gained back the weight he lost in a weight loss episode similar to what you are seeing, I am switching him off the puppy chow and on to Innova at 557 cal per cup. I am making the change for the reasons Diane noted (and other reasons as well)

As far as Da Bones weight loss itself. We never did really figure out what caused it. Best guess is he had stomach upset (or maybe even an ulcer or the beginning of one) from Glucosamine. I had started him on it only because he was aging. No real issues. As soon as I stopped it, he started to get better almost immediately. Maybe that was it, maybe it wasn't, but he does not get Glucosamine now and he is doing great.

Probably not much help but I wanted to wish you luck with your girl. My best advice would be to look at everything she does, everything she eats, any recent changes and go from there. You'll figure it out. Good luck!

Oh yes, my youngest hound recently had an ultrasound of her kidneys. Not invasie at all and cost $63.00. I would do it to rule everything out I could. Again, good luck.

Guest LokisMom

Just a side note, this is why we chose not to free feed. If our dogs are off their food, we know it pretty much right away because we are watching them not eat. With free feeding it is hard to tell, I think, if she is eating normally and losing weight or if she is losing because she is not eating her "normal" amount.

I would reconsider the free feeding also.

Our old man is down 10 lbs in the past year. It's very worrisome so I understand your pain and am sorry for the stress. (We are pretty sure we know why and are working on the solution with our guy so I don;t have any ideas as to what it could be. Ours is thyroid related.)

Oh yes, my youngest hound recently had an ultrasound of her kidneys. Not invasie at all and cost $63.00. I would do it to rule everything out I could. Again, good luck.

Wow, $63.00, Valor just had two ultrasounds, one cardiac and one abdominal $326.00 for both.

Valor has been losing weight steadily over the last several months. Much more severe lately. Testing done indicates either IBD or some type of intestional cancer. We have tried several meds with no benefit.

I am now feeding Valor a combination of chicken, turkey, ground beef, rice, cottage cheese, yogurt, Innova Evo wet food and Innova dry. Unfortunately Valor does not seem to be gaining weight. He has no diarrhea, was vomiting but that is under control now. I'm continuing to explore options but feel the outcome is not going to be good. Good luck with your dog, I hope you find an answer for your weight loss and it is easily treated.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

Guest Glorygirl

I went to the food store today and spoke with the rep there. He gave me a number of samples to see what she likes, with the idea that I will start her on a more "pure" food regimine. The brands he gave me are Merrick (before grain), Turkduven, Chicken Soup for seniors and Taste of the Wild. The Vet that does the ultra sounds comes over to our "side of the mountain," every other Wednesday. I think I want to try the different diet for a few weeks first, then I can do the ultra sound. I spoke to this other vet who would do the ultra sound, about trying the change in diet first. He was supportive of the holistic approach, but also reminded me to keep monitoring the weight. I asked him how much an ultra sound will cost, and it looks like in the $260 range. Certainly not out of the question, tho $68 would be nice!

I spent some time this morning composing an email to the Dr's at Ohio State. Murphy's Law! When I hit "send", my computer froze. Re-boot required! UGH! So I just need to re-do that email. Evidently they will provide free consultations to greyhound owners and veterinarians. I thought I would pick their brain. I already asked specifically about ProMeris and greyhounds. The word I got back was that they are still researching it, in the meantime they use Advantix on the greyhounds that donate blood to the greyhound blood bank there. I had always heard no Advantix, so that was good to know. I am learning and reading as much as I can, trying to be responsive not reactive. :)

Personally I think puppy food is a waste of time, as far as weight gain is concerned. I've tried it, as others have, and the general consensus, was that it didn't work. (JMHO)

I feed puppy food to my seniors - the first time on veterinary advice - and have always had fairly good results with it. It may depend on which puppy food you choose, and the content may be different over here, but what you don't want to be doing with a senior greyhound is feed a senior formula, which is designed to keep weight OFF ageing dogs, since many breeds put on fat as they age. It's worth remembering too, that many greyhounds do get a little gaunt as they age, so it may be that there's nothing wrong as such. You see, greyhounds don't have a lot of body fat, their shape is composed largely of muscle. All ageing animals tend to lose muscle because of the natural ageing process, and with an animal like a greyhound, this will show up more. It doesn't take a lot of muscle loss to show up as weight loss. Jack is now nearly thirteen and was keeping his weight up very well, until he had an injury which required rest and prednisolone. I'm not sure which did more damage, the rest or the pred, but he's dropped a pound or two in a matter of weeks. I'm hoping now he's able to exercise again, he'll put it back on, but I'm not holding my breath because as we age, it's much more difficult to bulk up muscle.

You all are incredibly insightful! :thumbs-up Irritable bowel? Excellent suggestion. My gut says that while the ultrasound won't be cheap, it may show the inflamation. As to her drinking...really, she is not drinking any more than she used to. Her output is about the same as well. The only thing with her output is that I noticed every once in a while that she is licking herself, and I wonder if she isn't preventing a "dribble". I remind myself she is 11yrs, and she is permitted the occasional dribble....as long as she catches it when on my bed or the couch. I can't tell you how valuable this conversation is for me.

I presume she is spayed. It's possible that she has a little incontinence, and it's true that UTIs can cause dribbling. The only times Renie has peed indoors have been when she's had an infection, and antibiotics have stopped it within a day or so.

Could also be aging. Both my seniors lost a little weight as they got older. They were both eating well & the same amount but were losing a little muscle. Eggs are an excellent addition to the diet. They're high quality protein & fat & oh so yummy with a little butter or cheese. :chow An ultrasound certainly won't hurt (the wallet, yes - @$500 in my area) & can help you decide on a course of action.

Agreed, and agreed. Weight loss in seniors, if all else is normal, may be just a fact of life, as I said above. And yes, an ultrasound would be a good move to rule anything sinister out. My advice, if her tests come back normal and the ultrasound is clear, is to keep a close eye on her, offer her food more often (maybe split her meals to give her more frequent and smaller meals so as not to overload her gut), try higher calorie foods, and if she doesn't stop losing weight and you're still worried, get a specialist opinion.

If you don't mind feeding raw, I've also had good results with raw lamb. It's fatty, which is high calorie, but unlike cooked fats, is quite digestible for most. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest LindsaySF
Weight loss in seniors, if all else is normal, may be just a fact of life, as I said above. And yes, an ultrasound would be a good move to rule anything sinister out. My advice, if her tests come back normal and the ultrasound is clear, is to keep a close eye on her, offer her food more often (maybe split her meals to give her more frequent and smaller meals so as not to overload her gut), try higher calorie foods, and if she doesn't stop losing weight and you're still worried, get a specialist opinion.

I agree with this.

Most senior dogs lose muscle mass as they age, that's normal. If she keeps losing weight I would switch her food to something with more calories, maybe even offer her wet food if she prefers that.

Hopefully the ultrasound goes ok. :)