Gi Bleed - Please Help

Guest Morisca

Guest Morisca

My mother's 11 yo female greyhound Morisca was taken to the vet yesterday because she was vomiting blood. She now has lots of red blood in her stool. She stayed overnight at the emergency vet and is now at her regular vet getting iv fluids for dehydration. She obviously has some sort of GI bleed but I don't think the vet knows the source or cause exactly. Morisca seemed fine yesterday morning.

My mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer in September and I am worried to deth about her if anything happens to her precious Morisca.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Guest Morisca

Thanks so much! I have information from the Greyhound Health and Wellness Project at the University of Ohio ready to fax to Morisca's vet. They do consults for vets who may need to transfuse greyhounds. Please send your thought at 3 when my mother goes to see Morisca.

Guest boondog
Thanks so much! I have information from the Greyhound Health and Wellness Project at the University of Ohio ready to fax to Morisca's vet. They do consults for vets who may need to transfuse greyhounds. Please send your thought at 3 when my mother goes to see Morisca.

I'm glad to hear you are going to contact Ohio State. That's what I'd recommend. I hope they can get to the bottom of Morisca's problem (love the name, BTW).

Guest Winterwish

oh I'm very sorry you're going thru' so much and Morisca and your mother are in my thoughts.

Hopefully it's not some kind of perforation. Maybe it's HGE,hemorrhagic gastroenteritis? Only thing is,I'm not sure vomiting blood is an outstanding symptom of that,tho' bloody stools is.

Sending prayers. :hope

Edited by Winterwish

Prayers for you, your mom and sweet Morsica.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending my prayers for all of you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm sorry I have no experience to share, just wanted to offer prayers for your mom and her girl :hope:hope If you can, please let us know how things go.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Morisca

I spoke to my mother, who is taking Morisca from her regular vet back to the emergency vet to spend the night so that she can keep receiving iv fluids. The regular vet said that she was doing ok.

I called the Greyhoound Health and Wellness Center in Ohio and they were incredibly helpful. They transferred me to a vet, who said that it sounds like it might be HGE (as Winterwish suggested). He said generally that will stabilize in 2-3 days. He also said that if it doesn't, we can send him some of the bloodwork and he will think about what else it might be.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and well wishes!

Vinnie had a bleed, and it was likely an ulcer. Why he got it, I don't know.

They gave him carafate (coats the holes with a protective film/mesh while it heals), zantac which he never processed so we changed to pepcid, reglan and something else. I had to make a chart because some meds had to be taken hours apart from others. The bleed stopped. He never had another bleed.

Good luck with your mom's beautful girl. Hugs and healing thoughts coming your way :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest ChancesMom

My Chance also had HGE just a few weeks ago buy did not vomit blood. Just bloody stool. He spent the night at the vet on IV fluids and IV antibiotics and they sent him home the next evening on antibiotics and this icky thick med that coated his stomach. He recovered quite quickly.

Prayers to you, your mother & your baby.

Guest paulamariez

I will keep precious Morisca in my thougts and prayers for a quick and complete recovery! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending her some healing doggie kisses too!

:bighug:bighug:bighug I am so sorry, I have no experience, but I will be saying prayers and sending white light.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter