Tipper, Another Episode, Different This Time

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aimee, there is absolutely nothing you can do for him while he is seizing other than make sure he's in a safe place so he doesn't hurt himself. The seizure will run it's course and then he'll have a period where he may be confused and need to pant and pace. Allow him to do this, for one thing it's hard to stop them from doing it. It's their way of cool their body off because their temperature rises when they seize. Be careful though and keep your face and hands away from his face. Some hounds when coming out of the seizure may try and bite because they are totally confused and may not even recognize you for a few seconds. Better to be safe than sorry.

If Tipper's do become grand mal at any point contact your vet right away and let him know of the change. He may want to see him.

You can contact me any time if you need anything. I'll PM you my phone number and feel free to call if you need help.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest EmilyAnne

I should tell you about the ice pack trick. It has worked for many many people. I have never tried it on a Petit-Mal seizure though, so I'm not sure how it would work for that. I have had great success on using it for Grand-mals provided that the dog isn't seizuring so violentlly I can't even get the ice-pack on him. Here's a few blog entries I wrote on the ice-pack: http://thebarfblog-emily.blogspot.com/sear...abel/ice%20pack Out of the 20 Grand-Mals Henry has had since I learned of the ice-pack, it worked very well on 17 of them, not at all on one, and so-so on two.

Make sure cords are out of the way and behind furniture or stapled down securely. I learned that the very unpleasant way and had to holdup a large box fan that was in the window while trying to apply ice pack at the same time.

Judy, you're the best. :) Thank you for the information, esp the bit about possible disorientation/aggression after an episode. That thought occurred to me as I was petting him during this episode. I was just calmly repeating his name and petting his head and neck. I thought he might need reassuring, but thankfully he remained calm throughout.

I will definitely keep that in mind in the future.

Emily, thanks for the link. That corgi seemed to be head-shaking much more quickly than what Tip did. Tip's head sort of slowly swiveled from side to side, and steadily, not in multiple bursts like that little guy. :dunno:

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest EmilyAnne

Emily, thanks for the link. That corgi seemed to be head-shaking much more quickly than what Tip did. Tip's head sort of slowly swiveled from side to side, and steadily, not in multiple bursts like that little guy. :dunno:

Yes, Alfalfa's weren't quite as fast either, and larger movements. It can vary. Your best bet is to try to get a video and show it to the vet.

Aimee, I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but, have you had Tip's thyroid checked? Ace was having some odd episodes and it turned out she was a bit low in the thyroid department. I also have her adjusted at the pup chiro every few months, as her occiput (the bones at the base of the head) was out of whack on her left side, and doc told us that can also cause some mild seizure-like episodes.

She'd wake me up in the middle of the night, demanding to go outside...I'd let her out and she'd get down in the yard and go pee, but then it was like she was unable to see to get back to the deck, she couldn't hear me, and she was trying to smell her way back with no success. She ran into the side of the deck a couple of times :( One time I went out in the yard to get her and she seemed startled when I touched her...she couldn't sense my presence at all. She'd come back inside and drink a lot of water and then zonk out again, and would seem really tired the next day. Usually her eyes just looked like they were really really dilated, but, I never thought much of it, seeing as how we were outside at night, so they'd be dilated anyway.

Another thing, and I know it's hard, but, try as much as you can to not project your stress over the house renovations, etc...it's probably stressful for him to have all of that stuff going on at the house, and episodes like that can be brought on by stress as well. My friend's lab only has seizures when he's anxious/stressed.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest GiJenn51

Aimee-- have you thought about something like a nanny cam for Tipper when you're gone? And if he's having a seizure there is a chance the others could gang up on him...

Just a thought of babygating him and putting a camera in so you can track any seizures.

Guest Peanut
My main concern is-- how many episodes might he have had while we're at work, or at night, or just maybe when we're not paying attention? Have I missed any?

that would be my concern, too. Peanut had similar seizures. She slept in bed with me so I could feel them at night. The reality was, if you weren't there, you didn't notice it. She started on KBr - low dose - because she clustered when she'd have them. The first noticed little seizures were 3 within 10 minutes. Each lasting less than 30 seconds.

Good luck and hugs to both of you!!

We had a dog with episodes like that. It turned out to be kidney issues (glomerularnephritis) after all and in time, we were told to give enalapril, so it sounds like you have a terrific vet. I know the kidneys are thought to be OK, but I'd keep checking for changes in kidney values just in case. they're behind some of this.

Marcia in SC

Edited by MZH

I have no wisdom or advice on this but wanted to chime in with a little hug for Tip :grouphug and you of course.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Aimee-- have you thought about something like a nanny cam for Tipper when you're gone? And if he's having a seizure there is a chance the others could gang up on him...

Just a thought of babygating him and putting a camera in so you can track any seizures.

We do have an area set up that separates him from the girls when we're not home. The original purpose was to keep him from having diarrhea accidents on the carpet, but now (thankfully) his bowels seem to be in working order again, we may continue to use that area for the reason you describe. I don't picture Dazzle starting anything, but Ali might. And Dazzle is a real follower, so you're right, that could get ugly.

If the episodes seem to become more frequent, it may simply come to the point where I'll bring him to work with me every day, just to keep an eye on him.

For now, I watch and wait. And love on my big handsome boo-boo boy every day.

Edited by ZoomDoggy

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Hope sweet Tipper is feeling good today!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

• 5 weeks later...

A small seizure occurred this morning at about 6:30am. About 45 seconds in duration. He jumped up from his bed (this was after his morning walk and breakfast, where he acted completely normal) and stood with his eyes rolled down, slowly waving his head back and forth.

One month to the day from the last seizure I saw.

There was lightening in the sky today. No idea if that detail matters.

Huh. Is it time to get him on meds or are the seizures not yet close/long enough for that?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Seems to me that it was still very minor, but the fact that it was only one month since the last one, whereas the last few were further apart... Not sure. I'll call my vet later, see what he thinks.

Guest EmilyAnne

Personally, since the seizure was so mild, I wouldn't start meds just yet. The general rule is if they are closer than a month apart, or if the dog is having clusters. I think severity of seizures should be considered also. Tipper made it a full month and only had a mild seizure.

Guest GiJenn51

Talk to Judy and Mike. So far and certainly I'm no vet, it doesn't sound like they're bad enough for meds- But a complete blood panel might be good with a urinalysis to see where he's at.

I actually don't feel terribly worried (believe it or not) about it at the moment. Just sad to see it happen at all.

Guest EmilyAnne
I actually don't feel terribly worried (believe it or not) about it at the moment. Just sad to see it happen at all.

I know, I can relate to that. You hope and hope and hope there will be no more, and then when another happens, it's always a let down.

Fortunately epilepsy is very treatable if need be. It's hard not knowing if it will get better or worse or if you are doing the right thing.

:grouphug