An Obtuse Hello!

Guest eL_jEfE

Guest crazy4greys

:wave Welcome from CT!

With some groups the application process can take anywhere from a week or 2 weeks if you have never adopted a greyhound before, to a day if you are a return adopter.

Our group does not just let you come in, fill out an application and take a dog home. There are reference checks, a home visit and a lot of chatting to make sure that a greyhound is what you want in a dog. We are looking out for the dog, so it does not become a "bounce".

Good luck on your new pup, we expect :digicam because those are the :rules

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome from Waterloo...Ontario that is! I love reading your posts too. You are going to be so happy you chose a greyhound to adopt...just ask the thousands of greyhound lovers here on GT.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest weycoolgrey

That was quite the introduction! Welcome to GT from Boston. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about your future hound!

Jen

Guest Javagirl

Welcome from Queens, NY. We got rejected on our first application and everyone just told us to 'go buy one' after our hearts were broken. But for better or for worse tenacity is one of my core characteristics... however, I think you've figured out that they make it hard because they are so special and people really do care what happens to each and every dog.

Personally I liked the 'Dummies" Greyhound book more than the Branigan book simply because it covers a lot more 'issues' you may have. However, in the end, GreyTalk will probably be where you run to when you are paging through the books trying to figure out if you have an alien greyhound because your dog just isn't in there! It's been invaluable to us.

Kristyn

Guest LokisMom
Personally I liked the 'Dummies" Greyhound book more than the Branigan book simply because it covers a lot more 'issues' you may have. However, in the end, GreyTalk will probably be where you run to when you are paging through the books trying to figure out if you have an alien greyhound because your dog just isn't in there! It's been invaluable to us.

Kristyn

Yep, we prefer the Dummies book as well.

Guest argolola

Welcome from St. Augustine, Florida.

I'm so happy that you have decided on a greyhound. Five years ago, we were first time adopters. We took one look at our girl and it was love at first sight. I cried when they brought her out to see us (just like a parent seeing their newborn for the first time...lol.)

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Welcome to GT, you are going to love being owned by a greyhound! When my DF first met Frank (DF= dear fiance!) he was already a dog lover; but I don't think he was prepared for how much fun he was going to have being a greyhound daddy or how the greyhound's unique beauty and personality would wrap him right around those paws... So have fun, the adoption process can be a little daunting, but it's well worth it! And when you do find your perfect hound, I am sure you can tell we love to see pictures!

Robbie, with Frank the hound

welcome.gif

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest act2redux

Great intro!..one of the most enjoyable I've ever read! Where are you guys from?..you didn't say in your intro.

Keep the pics/ info/ humor coming!

Guest simile

Welcome from Alaska!!! There are a lot of great books out there, but you're right, GT has the best, immediate, real world info available. It's been a huge help to me, not only for my greys, but for the fosters of various breeds I've had.

I can however, recite all two seasons of "The Young Ones," verbatim, and entirely too much Monty Python for my own good. I have a small circle of friends who are the same, and no one raises an eyebrow if one of us slips up and uses a phrase/"ism" from the aforementioned. Or all the other geeky stuff we watch too much of. Unfortunately, I type the way I talk. And I sometimes forget the internet is an international place. And I'm a big nerd! :D

Holy moly! I didn't think anyone remembered "The Young Ones!"

Welcome from Maryland! Loved the intro - and can't wait for pix of your first (and most likely NOT last!) greyhound!

PS - I'm currently dog-less - we're VERY outnumbered on this board! :P (And I'm also a MP nerd... I find I quote stuff & new people just go.... 'Huh?'

Edited by ozgirl2

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

The Greyhounds for Dummies book is great! And the author, Lee Livingood, often speaks at greyhound events, which I'm sure you'll attend once you've been sucked into the cult..... oh... I mean..... the greyhound scene!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest SpikedPunch
Holy moly! I didn't think anyone remembered "The Young Ones!"

I do! When I was younger I used to have to words to Alexi Sayle's Doctor Marten's boots song painted on my bedroom wall :blush . Kiaora from New Zealand!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eL_jEfE

Whoooo!!!!

Ok, youse all get to experience this all along side me!

I got my cats the heinie shots, I begged the vets for a letter of reccomendation, and it done showed up today!

I've been checking my mailbox for days. I haven't been excited over mail for like, um, years! Usually I get credit card applications, stupid catalogues and noticies for Billiam. Bill takes all my monies. I realy wish Bill would get his own mail so I don't have to pay it any more.

So, here we go! I swear, I'm opening the letter right... now!

GAH!!!!

Ok it says in it's entirety!

To Whom It May Concern;

The *** requested a referance for their consideration in adopting a greyhound. We do not have much history with the ***. Both of their cats were seen in 2005, and again on 27 May 2008. The cats are indoor exclusice and appear well cared for. The recommended preventative care for the cats was accepted.

Signed.... Ect...

I almost want to freaking-A cry!

Ok, after typing it, I took my last name out, hence the ***.

Calm down, you'll be cool.

I want to rant, but I'm going to keep my mouth shut. No use damning myself before I've even tried.

I honestly have no use for people who don't try. I need to remember my own advice, and see how this all plays out. I'm off to figure out how to scan this into the computer and send off my application.

poop.

Guest LokisMom

Well, that's not a very good letter of reference. Did the adoption place ask for a letter? Our adoption group just called our vet and asked if they were up to date. I'm pretty sure that was all they asked, not about the "history" or whatever.

I'm sorry. It should be okay. If you want a grey and would be a good home, a few shots for an indoor kitty shouldn't be that big a deal.

At least it says the cats appear well cared for?

Guest Harry702

Well, shucks.... talk about brutally honest. In fairness, we have two indoor cats and take them in for a yearly exam that includes whatever shots they need at the time. Though I understand the indoor cat = reduced need for vaccination thought, I also think that you take an animal in for a yearly exam for more than just shots.... it's preventative medicine, and just good pet parenting. But... you'll just have a little extra 'splainin' to do. Anyone who puts this much thought, care and effort into adopting one of these dogs deserves to be given a fair chance with the one blemish on the record aside. Hopefully the group you're working with will recognize all the factors involved.

Best of luck! Greyhounds really are a way of life! Welcome from Alexandria, VA!

Guest houndstooth4

I think you're going to fit right in here! I didn't catch where you are located.

Our vet reference consisted of them calling our vet and the vet saying that we were good pet owners. We didn't have to have a letter. They called the people we listed as references and spoke to them. If things don't work out with the adoption group you're applying to now, don't get discouraged. You can try applying to another one later.

I hope we get to see more of you around!