Girlie Bits Question

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

Our new foster Lonnie is causing me some puzzlement. Part of the problem is that I've never had a girlie dog before, so I don't know what's normal and what I should be concerned about.

Lonnie is two, and was spayed three weeks ago. Yesterday and today I see that the underside of her tail is a bit crusty, right where it brushes across her pink bits. That same crustiness is also on her hiney on either side of her pink bits, I'm assuming from where her tail rubs when she wags. It's dried, not actively wet, it doesn't smell funny (to me or the guys-they're not overly interested in whatever it is), and the discharge, if that's what it is, isn't a funny color. As far as I can tell her girlie bits don't look sore, irritated or drippy. (But then, I've never had a girlie-what's "normal" look like?)

So...is this normal for a recently-spayed girlie, and will go away as her hormones subside, or is this something I need to keep an eye on?

I would have her checked out. I have two girlies and two bridge angel girlies and they don't/didn't have anything like you are describing. May be a little infection going on.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

If recently spayed it could be left over hormones. Or an infection.

I'd check with a vet, just in case.

But can I just giggle a little at the pink bits refs. Yes, I'm 12! So hard to be descriptive of those intimate parts . . .

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

I would check with the vet. Ekko who is 10 was recently spayed and no problems like you describe. It may or may not be related to the spay, but have the vet take a look

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

If it's just a smidge, and if there's no irritation (redness, itching, etc.), take a warm (not hot, not cold) washcloth and clean gently. Lots of crustiness or any irritation, funky odors, etc., see the vet. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Some dogs are more diligent at cleaning themselves than others.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FireHorse
If it's just a smidge, and if there's no irritation (redness, itching, etc.), take a warm (not hot, not cold) washcloth and clean gently. Lots of crustiness or any irritation, funky odors, etc., see the vet. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Some dogs are more diligent at cleaning themselves than others.

I've washed her hiney off, so I'll keep an eye on it and see if A: it comes back, and B: if she cleans herself. I don't think she does much, but I'll pay attention to be sure. If it looks to be a problem, I'll haul her off to see Dr C.

Thanks!

Guest brandi007

Hannah has the discharge problem also, it's quite icky and I'm sometimes finding 'stringies' going from her bitties to her tail that I have to clean off...it doesn't smell funny but Sophie never had this problem. I'll go read that thread that Xan just linked too

Just read that thread you linked to Xan...you need a spoot warning!!!

Edited by brandi007