Ear Cleaning: When/how Often?

Guest ArtysPeople

Ear Cleaning: How Often?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. When do you clean your grey's ears?

• Religiously/on a regular schedule
    • When they need it (please explain how you know)
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. How often do you clean (or have someone clean) your grey's ears?

• Weekly
    • Every 2-3 weeks
    • Monthly
    • A few times a year
    • Rarely
    • Never
  3. 3. Do you use a cleaning solution?

• Yes; I always irrigate with a cleaning solution.
    • Sometimes, but I also just swab sometimes.
    • No; I only swab or use a wash rag.
    • No; I never clean them.

Guest ArtysPeople

Arty came to us with a yeast infection last year, after which the vet advised cleaning weekly with an irrigating solution. However, since the yeast infection cleared up it seems like I never actually see anything when I clean his ears out. I definitely don't do it every week now, and I was wondering how often other greys' people do it. I was looking at his ears yesterday and noticed he's starting to get small amounts of a light-colored wax around the outer ear canal (not the brown goopy stuff of the yeast infection) and wondered if that was a sign they needed cleaning. The same vet has also advised me against cleaning my cats' ears because "there's a good balance" going on in there that cleaning would just mess up, so I was wondering if the same thing wouldn't go for greys. :dunno

Guest Dillymom

I've only had Lola 2 1/2 months so it's hard to really say how this will pan out down the road. For now I check her ears regularly when I'm petting her and when I see gunk I wipe them out. I've just been using cotton balls to do it for now and it's turned out to be about once a month that it needs done.

The irrigating solution is good for when you're dealing with problems like an infection. But for regular cleanings I usually just squirt some of the cleaner on a cotton ball and wipe with that instead of doing the whole squirting thing. Then I wipe with a tissue to get any leftover stuff - only go as far down as you can see, don't dig down too far.

Guest GriffinsMom

I must clean Griffin ears at least once a month or he gets so much gunk in his ears you could grow potatoes in them. I have a cleaning solution from the vet that is packaged in individual vials with a twist off cap. The solution is poured into the ear and massaged into the ear canal for as long as Griffin will let me. This procedure is best done outside as, once released, the hound will shake his head and the solution flies everywhere. A bit messy but the results are fantastic.

Guest LokisMom

We clean their ears if we notice gunk in them or if they start to smell weird. It's not an infected smell, it's just less than pleasant.

We just use cotton balls, either with a little ear cleaning solution or dry depending on the gunk level.

Guest krisandzoo

Bravo is the only one that ever gets any wax and it's just a little. He came home in January and I've wiped the inside out twice with an ear wipe from petkin. I check everytime they are brushed which is 2-3times weekly.

My old yorkie girl gets icky ears and they need cleaned weekly. She never had troubles until she was around 9.

Like many things I think it varies by dog. If you have no idea a vet or groomer would be perfect to ask for advice.

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I normally clean their ears when I do nails so about once a month-ish. I use listering on a swab it kills bacteria and cleans them fantastically. Listerine is a WONDERFUL ear cleaner used by many groomers and vets.

I clean Holly's ears regularly, but that is because she once had so much gunk in one of her ears that the vet got out a little black plug...poor thing, she probably couldn't even hear out of that ear.

I never cleaned Bailey's ears...never knew you were supposed to, or that you would have to...I figured they cleaned themselves, I guess. She never had an ear problem and the vet never said her ears were dirty, so maybe she just didn't need it like Holly does.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest sheila
i have had my grey for a year i feel bad i didn't know we had to clean the ears. what should i be looking for? all i see is tatooted numbers :huh:wub:

Don't feel bad. I have never cleaned any of my greys ears and their ears are just fine. I just went and double checked and there is nothing I can see to clean. I also have a cat that is 9 yrs old with perfectly pink/clean ears and I have never cleaned hers either. I DID have a cat that came from a rescue that needed his ears swabbed out at least once a month because he would get 'gunky'.

Guest greyt_learner

My last dog, a lab, had chronic yeast infections in his ears for his last few years, and it's not pleasant for them, or for those of us who have to clean them, so I've been happy to have had 2 hounds for 2 years with squeeky-clean and odor free ears - never had to clean them - and I do check.

I clean Patrick's when a visual inspection suggests it's time; he has never had any trouble with his ears, and they never smell, so I think that's sufficient.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

It totally depends on how dirty the dogs ear tend to be....I have never needed to clean Miss Sadi's ears in the 3 years I have had her....but I used to have to clean bridgekid Scully's ears about once a month...his ears were so filthy you could have grown potatoes in them :lol I only ever used a swab or cloth dampened slightly and was as gentle as could be....your Vet is right, it pays not to mess with ears unless absolutely necessary.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

It depends on the dog. Sunny seems to produce a lot of wax in his ears, and has already had one ear infection, so he gets his ears cleaned with a cleaning solution every 5 days. If I leave it longer than that (I've tried) his ears start to get itchy again. Sister Sophie has no problems with her ears so I just clean them when they look dirty.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

When they need it -- the only time I needed to clean was after Tansi was lost. She had loads of gunk in her ears and it took forever to clean them. I did Jamaica's at the same time just because :lol

I was a bit concerned about my vet though. He never even noticed during her check over and worming.

I swipe them with a wet cloth when I think to do it, which is not often. I've never had a dog that needed attention paid to ears unless you count forever-inside-out ones :lol